SSD Optimized
Besides turning on AHCI in the BIOS, this is the only other SSD optimization I perform at Windows install to align the partition to 4K:

Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 without the System Reserve Partition and 4K alignment:
1.Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
2.After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
3.At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
4.Type List Disk, press Enter.
5.Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
6.Type Clean, press Enter.
7.Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
8.Type Create Partition Primary Align=4096, press Enter.
9.Type Format Quick FS=NTFS, press Enter.
10.Type Exit, press Enter.
11.Close the Command Prompt window.
12.Click the "Next" button.
13.Click the "Install now" button.
14.Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
15.Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
16.Click the partition.
17.Click the "Next" button.
18.From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans...-ssds-hdds

(I do nothing else in that article)
(2012-06-26, 01:25)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Besides turning on AHCI in the BIOS, this is the only other SSD optimization I perform at Windows install to align the partition to 4K:

Booting and partitioning of Windows 7 without the System Reserve Partition and 4K alignment:
1.Boot from your Windows 7 installation media.
2.After booting you see the Install Windows 7 screen, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.
3.At the command prompt, type Diskpart, press Enter.
4.Type List Disk, press Enter.
5.Type Select Disk # (where # is the number your drive shows up as), press Enter.
6.Type Clean, press Enter.
7.Type Convert MBR, press Enter.
8.Type Create Partition Primary Align=4096, press Enter.
9.Type Format Quick FS=NTFS, press Enter.
10.Type Exit, press Enter.
11.Close the Command Prompt window.
12.Click the "Next" button.
13.Click the "Install now" button.
14.Accept the terms and click the "Next" button.
15.Choose "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
16.Click the partition.
17.Click the "Next" button.
18.From then on follow the on screen instructions till you get to the desktop.

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans...-ssds-hdds

(I do nothing else in that article)

Thanx Dougie. Will try that tonight..Smile
(2012-06-25, 05:37)goofygames Wrote: My next question is even if i do fill the ssd drive to 28 GB of 29 GB, will it affect performance for speed with xbmc?
I just put a 32 bit version of windows on it and it took up 15 GB of space. Did PartedMagic reformat the drive wrong?

Who is recommending 30-32GB drives for Windows 7 installs? That's doing this forum a disservice.

I would never go smaller than 60-64GB especially with today's prices. And as I have said the 60-64GB size is the smallest you can get in SATAIII.
I guess it is my fault also, I should have done more research. I am completely new at this, it is my first build. I just followed Beer's guide. I didnt realize Windows takes up so much space.
(2012-06-26, 05:06)goofygames Wrote: I guess it is my fault also, I should have done more research. I am completely new at this, it is my first build. I just followed Beer's guide. I didnt realize Windows takes up so much space.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If you are only using it for Win7 / XBMC you will be fine. The price drop in SSD drives are recent compared to a few months ago. At one point in time, you could purchase a 32GB Torqx2 for as little as 32.00 on sale after rebate when the retail price was 65.00. There are plenty of people on this forum that jumped at that. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, just enjoy what you have. Be happy with your accomplishment!

I built a "Eskro Budget System" over a year ago - Celeron E3400, Zotac 9300 board, 4GB ram, DVD burner, 32GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, Mi-08 case. By today's standards it's a Dinosaur. However, it will boot in 20 seconds and does everything I need it to do. I put it together, worked out a few issues I was not happy with, and it has given me, the family and friends nothing but happiness.

I checked my drive space. My thumbnail folder is at 2.35 GB, and I probably have around 750 MB of programs and other files. After 14 months I still have 8.66 GB free. So I really don't need a larger drive. Your mileage may vary, every build is different.

[url]Image[/url]
(2012-06-26, 06:29)Driver 944 Wrote:
(2012-06-26, 05:06)goofygames Wrote: I guess it is my fault also, I should have done more research. I am completely new at this, it is my first build. I just followed Beer's guide. I didnt realize Windows takes up so much space.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If you are only using it for Win7 / XBMC you will be fine. The price drop in SSD drives are recent compared to a few months ago. At one point in time, you could purchase a 32GB Torqx2 for as little as 32.00 on sale after rebate when the retail price was 65.00. There are plenty of people on this forum that jumped at that. I wouldn't loose sleep over it, just enjoy what you have. Be happy with your accomplishment!

I built a "Eskro Budget System" over a year ago - Celeron E3400, Zotac 9300 board, 4GB ram, DVD burner, 32GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, Mi-08 case. By today's standards it's a Dinosaur. However, it will boot in 20 seconds and does everything I need it to do. I put it together, worked out a few issues I was not happy with, and it has given me, the family and friends nothing but happiness.

I checked my drive space. My thumbnail folder is at 2.35 GB, and I probably have around 750 MB of programs and other files. After 14 months I still have 8.66 GB free. So I really don't need a larger drive. Your mileage may vary, every build is different.

[url]Image[/url]

Thanx Driver, Just doing a fresh install of Windows 7 now. If the 32 GB works out i will keep the 60GB for a future build.
32GB works for windows 7 if just xbmc (and other little stuff) ..... and sooner they will be even cheaper....

I own a 128GB ssd... it all depends what your needs are....

I have 21GB free out of 29.7GB on my htpc...
I also deleted (turned off) Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.

32 GIGs work.... it's all over this forum....
(2012-06-26, 06:51)Beer40oz Wrote: 32GB works for windows 7 if just xbmc (and other little stuff) ..... and sooner they will be even cheaper....

I dont doubt you that 32 GB works, all I am saying is after a fresh install of Windows 7 20 GB is used up and I only have 9 GB left
Goofygames - just a heads up, SandForce drives had a problem with BSOD (blue screen of death) when sleep or hibernate were used. I don't know if OCZ has solved that problem. You may want to take time to visit their forum ... (if you delete the hibernation file, you can free up some disk space)
(2012-06-26, 06:53)goofygames Wrote:
(2012-06-26, 06:51)Beer40oz Wrote: 32GB works for windows 7 if just xbmc (and other little stuff) ..... and sooner they will be even cheaper....

I dont doubt you that 32 GB works, all I am saying is after a fresh install of Windows 7 20 GB is used up and I only have 9 GB left

Weird.... i get 21GB free when I did a fresh install......

I just wen't and looked up what I have left after XBMC....

19.5 GB free..

BTW! Eskros Opt... was done to this SSD .... for testing. And I think it did free up 4 gigs... I just don't recall....

on my new SSD 128GB I did not do the Opt... just turned off Hibernate and also turned off Disk Defrag.... and that's all..
When i did Eskro's Opt, I think that is when everything went bad. I'm sure I had 20GB free before i did it. O well, 64GB is in themail. All this is gonna be used for is XBMC
(2012-06-26, 07:12)goofygames Wrote: When i did Eskro's Opt, I think that is when everything went bad. I'm sure I had 20GB free before i did it. O well, 64GB is in themail. All this is gonna be used for is XBMC

Oh man... sorry to hear that....

I am starting to see opt... is not necessary.

Only turn of Hibernate witch is a small dos command and turn off disk defrag witch SSd's don't use.

Will do Beer. Also, I will check temps right away with Shuriken 1100.
Temps seem to running about 50C with fan speed of 1300 RPM. No chassis fan installed.
All said and done with XBMC installed i have 7.3 GB left over. Will this affect performance of XBMC at all?
(2012-06-26, 07:21)Beer40oz Wrote: I am starting to see opt... is not necessary.

Most of the "optimizations" in that guide were out-dated before it was even written. We all try our best to help each other out but unfortunately not everyone can be an expert on everything. When it comes to research I always try to make sure I look in a few different corners of the internet then put all the info together and make a decision on what I'm gonna do Smile

K, so now my computer shut down on me and did a full system check on startup.To my surprise after showing only 7GB free of 29, I now have 20GB free of 29GB. Strange or what??Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD Optimized0