Dell Optiplex 760 as HTPC holder
I can buy this equipment: Dell Optiplex 760 SFF (Small Form Factor) for little money

The first thing I checked it's that it has a PCI Express 16 X slot (low profile)

There are the specs:

Processor type Intel® Core™2 Duo 3GHz; FSB up to 1333 MHz
Level 2 (L2) cache at least 512 KB pipelined-burst, eight-way set
associative, writeback SRAM
Chipset Intel Q43 Express chipset w/ICH10D
DMA channels eight
Interrupt levels 24
BIOS chip (NVRAM) 32 Mb
Network adapter integrated network interface capable of 10/100/1000 Mbps communication
Memory Type 667-MHz or 800-MHz DDR2 SDRAM; non-ECC memory only
Maximum memory 4 GB
Video Type: Integrated Intel integrated video up to 256-MB video memory (shared) at total system
memory of greater than 512 MB
Discrete PCI Express x16 slot can support either a PCI Express card or a DVI graphics card (for dual-monitor
support)
Audio Type ADI 1984A high definition audio
Expansion Bus
Bus type PCI 2.3
PCI Express 2.0
SATA 1.0A and 2.0
eSATA
USB 2.0
Bus speed PCI: 133 MB/s
PCI Express:
x1-slot bidirectional speed — 250 MB/s
x16-slot bidirectional speed — 8 GB/s
SATA: 1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps
eSATA: 3.0 Gbps
USB: 480 Mbps

Do you think this is valid if I add a Graphic Card and maybe a SSD disk,
It is a Small Form Factor and it would be a very affordable solution..

Thanks in advance.

If you can get it very cheap, I would say go for it. The Core Duo 3GHz is a very powerful CPU. Yes, you can add a low profile discrete GPU "PNY VCGGT4301XPB or SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450" to maximize playback capability and SSD "Patriot Torqx 2 PT264GS25SSDR 2.5" 64GB" to speed it up....you'll have a fast and powerful HTPC afterward......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Beware of the proprietary power supply in this PC. Make sure a replacement is affordable and available.
(2012-07-06, 16:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Beware of the proprietary power supply in this PC.
If Dell PSU go bad, you still can find a replacement for it. I doubt that it will go bad anytime soon. I owned nearly 10 Dell's over the years, and mostly small form factor. I never have one PSU die on me......Dell Optiplex 760 Power Supply Replacement.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Regardless, make sure if you're not in the US that replacements are available and even if you are that you consider them affordable. It should be a consideration.

I've had the opposite experience having just recycled several Dell SFF PCs with the same proprietary PSU and they were all bad. It didn't make sense for the school they came from to replace them at the cost. They preferred to go with all new PCs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dell Optiplex 760 as HTPC holder0