Continuous dirty regions causing high cpu usage
When I run Aeon Nox, on some screens my CPU usage goes way up for seemingly no reason. So I turned on the setting to visualize dirty regions so I can see what is being drawn to the GPU. It looks like on a few screens there are some elements that while they don't appear to be changing are constantly causing parts of the screen to redraw.

I'm not sure how to go about fixing the issues but I did take some screenshots that demonstrate what I am talking about. Since people like to run xbmc on older PCs or low power ones like Atom based machines this can be a big deal. I think it would be great if it is possible to fix these issues since Aeon Nox is probably one of the best skins available for xbmc in my opinion.

Here are the screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/uDH3H The orange areas are the parts that are being marked dirty and being redrawn. If someone wants to take a stab at fixing the issue, I'd be more than happy to test/verify the fix. The extra redraw causing the CPU usage to go up to 80% in landscape view is the biggest annoyance.
I doubt its the cause of the cpu increase. You can test by deleting the lines
Code:
<include>Neon_Floor</include>
in Includes_Viewtypes.xml to have an entirely green dirty regions in your screenshot. Probably wont make much difference in cpu percentage being used.
Alright, I wasn't sure. I'll try that and report back. The reason I was thinking it was causing the high cpu usage is the screens with no green have lower usage.
That helped some (about a 10% decrease) but the little indicator on the left that tells you what button to press to bring up the view type settings is still redrawing on every frame. (Where the small orange box is on the left side in this picture: http://imgur.com/a/uDH3H#6.) I tried finding where that control was in the XML file but couldn't. I tried then finding it by first finding the texture through all the texture files in git and couldn't find the image. Do you happen to know where it is? I wanted to try hiding that and see what happens.
search for "tooltip" in includes_mediamenu.xml, you should find it then.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Alright I was able to find it and removing it helped a little but not much. Brought it down to around 70% so I think there is something else going on.

However now that I've upgraded to version 3.5 of the skin the CPU usage has gotten a lot worse, it is now pegging the CPU at 100% with the version of the skin as released. So something in the update is eating up a lot more CPU time. I'd be happy to help figure out what it is but I need some direction.

(For reference this is on an Atom D525 CPU with ION2 video card.)

If I reapply the change/fix that removes the neon floor the CPU usage drops from 100% to 80%. A much bigger change than before.
Ok, now in the new version of the skin, getting rid of the tooltip control and the neon floor dropped the CPU usage in the landscape view from 100% to 24%. A substantial improvement I would say. Thanks for the help finding where the tooltip is.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Continuous dirty regions causing high cpu usage0