Only Change Refresh Rate Upon Start and Stop of a video.
I would like to suggest that display refresh rates are only changed when a video is started or stopped.

This means when you press 'tab' or your remotes equivalent to see the home screen (and the video plays in the background) that it stays at the videos refresh rate.

I know this means that the gui would be at 24Hz while you do this, but I feel that there are a couple of advantages:

1)Display does not have to resync (i.e black screen for 1seconds, or more depending on your display)
2)Audio continues in background meaning av receiver doesn't have to resync

Essentially, it would mean the homescreen is there in a instant and playback is uninterrupted

I'm preparing to be shot down, but thought I would suggest it.
I would love for this to happen too. It's pretty much what stops me from syncing to display refresh rates, the display resyncing/audio dropping is far too jarring an effect when you want to browse other stuff with video playing.
And a switch "dontchangerefreshrateforhomescreens" that just stay in the last refresh rate for the homescreens and switch the rate when the next video needs it.

like:
refresh rate = 60hz
start xbmc
start video with 25fps -> switch to 50hz
stop video, refresh rate should not be changed back to 60hz
start new video with 25fps -> no switch needed
stop video, still 50hz
start video with 30fps -> switch to 60hz
the problem with that is that once you play a 24fps video you'll be in 24hz for pretty much forever, all your music visualisations, slideshows, etc will be at 24Hz. Because most videos are 24Hz you can pretty much achieve your solution now by picking the refresh rate that is most common in your video library.

I would like to keep the changes for both Starting and Stopping a video, but not pressing tab.
+1

I've had the same idea as brotbuexe.

I actually run the menu at 24 fps because I get so tired of waiting 7-8 seconds for a refresh rate change (receiver + TV), as most of my media is 24 fps. XBMC does not really like 24 fps in menus, but I'd rather sluggish menu than constant long pauses.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1242
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
awesome! this sounds good!

To the guy who commented that "its less than a second" some displays take MUCH longer, my projector is about 2-3 seconds and others even longer.
(2012-08-04, 10:51)neil.j1983 Wrote: the problem with that is that once you play a 24fps video you'll be in 24hz for pretty much forever, all your music visualisations, slideshows, etc will be at 24Hz. Because most videos are 24Hz you can pretty much achieve your solution now by picking the refresh rate that is most common in your video library.

I would like to keep the changes for both Starting and Stopping a video, but not pressing tab.

because i only play videos with xbmc this would be no issue.
and if its a switch (could be a advanced settings xml only) some could use it others dont...
I don't see the benefit of your suggestion. What advantages does it offer? All I can see is it offers an inconsistent UI. Think of the complaints from someone who doesn't understand what's going on "XBMC is great when I first start it, I love the movies layout, and the covers display perfect and smooth, BUT once I play a video, which plays great!, the menu is all jerky, no matter which of my bluray rips or HDTV files I watch it is always jerky once I finish playing a video!"

I don't have the power of coding, so this is all out of my hands anyway.

Is 'the power of coding' like 'the power of cheese' ? Smile
Thank you Memphiz Smile
thanks memphiz, i tried it last night. it worked perfect. i did have a few crashes, but i'm putting it down to the alpha nature of the master branch.

I'll try to grab some logs today.

(2012-08-05, 18:24)davilla Wrote: Is 'the power of coding' like 'the power of cheese' ? Smile

I had to google it. and LOL!
It is not changing back to desktop refresh rate on my setup (OSX) if i stop the playback myself. If i let the video finish by its own so that player quits by itself it changes correctly. Neither does "always" setting work, it only changes from 60hz to 24hz but not back.

http://pastebin.com/0TpAwRNx
huh i have tested this to death *ggrrmmmm*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well there there, i can test if you have any proposed fixes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Only Change Refresh Rate Upon Start and Stop of a video.0