Noise vs Performance
Hi All,

I'm looking at putting together an HTPC, and using the stickies, and some information here, i've come up with two different builds i'm considering doing.

Both builds include the following:

SilverStone ML03B Case -- $59.23
OCZ 64 GB SSD -- $49.99
Corsair Memory 2 GB Module -- $13.89
PicoPSU 90w kit -- $59.99

Total for Combined Components: $183.10

Now for my two build options, which are different Mobo / CPU combos.

Option 1: AMD A4-3400 + Biostary Mobo = $129.98
Option 2: AMD E-350 on an ASUS Mobo = $127.99

The advantage of the E-350 is that it is fanless, and therefore virtually silent. It also has very low power consumption. Cannot do HD Netflix

The advantage of the A4-3400, is that in theory, it should be able to do HD Netflix, which would allow me to replace all of my current hardware under the T.V. with this one box.

Things I'm not sure of:
How loud is an A4 system? If it's so quiet, I don't care.. then.. I don't care... By definition..

Will the A4 in fact do HD Netflix?

Will the 90w PicoPSU be sufficient to power the A4? The A4 has a TDP of 65w.

How much power would a BlueRay player take, if I add it later? Does that throw me over the 90w limit with either system?

Any thoughts / Advice would be appreciated.

--Steve

Are you anti-intel?

The Intel CPUs use less wattage and will likely produce less heat which will make them easier to cool and thus quieter all while being a more powerful CPU and cheaper to purchase.

So you get less noise and more performance and lower cost. A win-win-win.

BTW TDP appears to be just an estimate. AMD builds often go over the TDP.
Actually, I'd say I lean Intel, not away. I work with a bunch of high powered servers, and the intel boxes slap the AMD's silly. I've seen that time and time again.

But the GPU's built into these AMD's make it difficult to beat cost and power wise.

Where have you seen that AMD systems go over TDP?
(2012-08-07, 04:35)stevey_frac Wrote: Actually, I'd say I lean Intel, not away. I work with a bunch of high powered servers, and the intel boxes slap the AMD's silly. I've seen that time and time again.

But the GPU's built into these AMD's make it difficult to beat cost and power wise.

Where have you seen that AMD systems go over TDP?

Personal experience and others' first hand experience like this guy's --- I respect his opinion quite a bit.

BTW the Intel iGPU is the exact same for 720p and 1080p in terms of PQ. If you want to game get a G530 (more powerful than the A6) for $40 and add a card for another $40-$50 and come out with about the same (or less) power usage and more power with the same cost.
Looking at Intel:

Option 3:
Intel Pentium G550 Dual Core 2.6GHZ + Gigabyte Mobo: $119.97

TDP is also 65 watt. In theory, this outperforms the A4 setup.

But... That now needs a discrete graphics card, which is a pain to fit.

I Found a geforce 210 Graphics card, that would work (low profile bracket). Costs $35, and consumes an additional 13 watts - ish. This means it costs 20% more, and consumes 20% more power.

Why do you need a discrete card? Why not try it without one and add one later if you think you need it? I use the iGPU each and every day.

G540 is $40 shipped today. And there are Ivy bridge motherboards as low as $65.
Sorry, I responded last time before I saw your last post.

I can revise option 3 to a G540 + Giabyte Mobo + Asus Geforce for $143.58

(The G530 and 540 are $1 apart...)
Ahh. We're playing post leap frog!

I thought that iGPU didn't have hardware accelerated decode... That's why I was including the discrete card.
Also: My prices are all for Canada, which may explain the discreptancy.

If I drop the discrete card, I get $108.59. I'm concerned about video decoder performance though.
Looking at the stickied thread, all the Intel builds do not rely on the intel graphics, and include a discrete card...
Why do you need hardware acceleration?

There are lots of people on this forum that are using the Intel iGPU lately. Take a look around.

Like I said if you don't like it for any reason add the card at a later date. There are low profile GT430s as low as $27.

So that's $40(CPU)+$65(Motherboard) for $105. Add the $27 graphics card (that you likely won't need) and at worst you are only $2 more than the less powerful build you posted. And at best you are $25 cheaper.

I realize this is the XBMC forums. Seems that absolute lowest price is more important here than many other PC/HTPC websites I have been to. Which is surprising given how some continue to think AMD is still the cheapest option when it is not.

I am not saying that AMD doesn't have a good HTPC option --- they do. Just that its not the cheapest anymore. Nor the lowest wattage. Nor the easiest to cool. Nor the best bang for the buck.
(2012-08-07, 05:31)stevey_frac Wrote: Looking at the stickied thread, all the Intel builds do not rely on the intel graphics, and include a discrete card...

The sticky threads are wrong. I have asked to have them updated repeatedly. They haven't been updated in 4 months.

I update my guide weekly.
The one exception is if you want 3D playback. For that the AMD is the better iGPU.
So. Based on what you've said here, and a bit more reading I've thrown out my build, and am now doing this:

Intel G630 ($69.99)
Gigabyte Mobo H61M ($59.99)
OCZ 64 GB SSD ($49.99)
4 GB RAM Module (21.99)
Apex DM-387 Case (44.99)
CoolerMaster 80mm Case Fan (8.99)

This is actually cheaper than my original E-350 build, and should outperform it. It won't be quite as quiet, but I have the option of switching to a PicoPSU later if I want to, to reduce noise.

Just FYI.. I have the SilverStone ML03B Case + A8 3870k(100W) + Scythe Shuriken 1100 and can't hear a thing. Even when playing BD iso rip the cooler is running very low speed.

Not sure that this will help you now you have change the setup, but now you know Smile
Linux Mint: XBMC PVR Xvba
HTPC: AMD Fusion A8-3870k. ASRock A75 Pro4-M. 4GB DDR3. Intel 320 SSD 40GB . Silverstone ML03
(2012-08-07, 05:32)assassin Wrote: The one exception is if you want 3D playback. For that the AMD is the better iGPU.
What means "better" here exactly? Following your guide and recommendations, I was under the impression that IVB has no problems with 3D and is the overall better choice for an HTPC.
(2012-08-07, 09:43)jaochoo Wrote:
(2012-08-07, 05:32)assassin Wrote: The one exception is if you want 3D playback. For that the AMD is the better iGPU.
What means "better" here exactly? Following your guide and recommendations, I was under the impression that IVB has no problems with 3D and is the overall better choice for an HTPC.

The OP is not talking about Ivybridge, the mobo and CPU mentioned are Sandybridge.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Celeron and Pentium ivy and sandy cpu igpus cannot do 3d. The i3 cpu igpu can. As I showed this is a moot point if you add a discrete card.
Intel G620 + Nvidia GT430 can be had for as low as (~$60 for both) on Newegg if you are willing to go with openbox/refurbished

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noise vs Performance0