[unRAID] Do you guys preclear your drives?
What's the general concensus on preclearing a drive? Unbelievable that it takes SOO long. And it seems to put a lot of stress on a drive (which I guess is debatably good, especially if it's new).

For those of you that preclear, do you skip the pre-read and post-read stages to speed things up?
I run it 2 - 3 times for new drives. It's unlikely, but there is still possibility that the new drive is a defect.. I would rather spend 24 - 32 hr pre clearing to find if it's bad or not than to find out my new hdd is bad later when I have some stuff in there.

It's also a good tool to find out if old hdd's are good enough in my opinion. i have 7 hdd's for my unraid i believe. Except for 1, i think they're at least 1 year or 2 old. I wanted to make sure those drive was good and pre_clear does the job in my opiinon.
I agree,..
It may be a pain,..but if the dog barks, give it a bone. (sorry,..I'm just tired and need sleep)
Well, I guess I figured most people here probably do it. I just didn't want to spend a week preclearing only to find out that only a few here actually do it. Wink
I do it for one time.... it's all good. Be safer then sorry....
Eventually the preclear will be a standard part of Unraid. My understanding is that preclear does what Unraid does when you add a drive except that while preclearing you can use the array. Then when you actually add the drive to the array it completes in a few minutes instead of hours.
I'm currently transferring data from my old unRAID to a new unRAID build. I do not have parity drive active since all my data is on my original unRAID box (with parity).

While I am transferring files, can I be running a pre-clear on a drive in the new build, as well, through a telnet 'screen' session?
I do pre-clear and run them the full routine 2-3 times. I also keep some extra drives available that have been pre-cleared so I can always swap out others that may be going bad.
Is pre-clear a separate process in unRAID and can run concurrently with the transfer of files to other drives in the array?
(2013-09-24, 17:14)RickInHouston Wrote: Is pre-clear a separate process in unRAID and can run concurrently with the transfer of files to other drives in the array?

Yes, preclear is a custom script and is a totally seperate from the management of the array. You can write to the array all you want while you are preclearing a drive.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I have precleared the parity drive and used in one server for a couple of weeks. No errors whatsoever. Now that I plan to move just the parity disk to a new server and to assign it as a parity disk again, is it necessary to preclear the parity disk again? I guess maybe the new parity calculation in the new server will overwrite previous parity data.
(2014-02-23, 09:08)sivaptw Wrote: I have precleared the parity drive and used in one server for a couple of weeks. No errors whatsoever. Now that I plan to move just the parity disk to a new server and to assign it as a parity disk again, is it necessary to preclear the parity disk again? I guess maybe the new parity calculation in the new server will overwrite previous parity data.
No need to pre clear the disk again, unless you feel it may have fault issues. You are correct and that the new parity will over write the previous data.
If I swap out an old 2 TB disk and put in a 6TB can I first precleared it from the USB 3 port?

The parity drive is 4TB and UnRaid gonna use the 6 TB as a parity drive when I take the old disk out and put the new 6 TB in a SATA port .

PS - I have a 6 TB WD book I gona dissemble after preclear https://youtu.be/P5uKkGT8i4g
The only reason I run pre-clear is to write the file system. I always pick zero pre and post reads. Waste of time IMO.
(2017-08-13, 11:58)idgforum Wrote: If I swap out an old 2 TB disk and put in a 6TB can I first precleared it from the USB 3 port?

The parity drive is 4TB and UnRaid gonna use the 6 TB as a parity drive when I take the old disk out and put the new 6 TB in a SATA port .

PS - I have a 6 TB WD book I gona dissemble after preclear https://youtu.be/P5uKkGT8i4g

You can preclear the 6TB from usb port, but if the 6TB is in an enclosure , I would run some fans on it. Heat is the No.1 case for drive failures and preclear will heat that up fast. Once you swap the 6tb for the 4tb parity will need to be rebuilt.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[unRAID] Do you guys preclear your drives?1