XBMC build
I really have no idea what I am doing. I want to do XBMC with unraid. I got this case because it can hold multiple HDs. I tried to get a small PS because I don't want to waste energy. 300Watts is probably double what this needs. I might not bother with the blu-ray. I am not even sure why I put it in the build. So, if you have any suggestions please hollar.

Are you saying you want to do XBMC and unRAID in a same machine?

Not possible.

Well, possible but quite complicated and not really recommended.. especially since you mention you don't know what you're doing.
if you still want NAS + HTPC to be in the same machine, you probably want to look at something like http://www.flexraid.com/ rather than unraid
You can do Win7, XBMC and FlexRaid in the same machine.
I might have to get a larger SSD to handle windows 7.

I guess the other route I can go is a NAS server and an apple 2.
60-64GB is plenty. That's about $10-$20 more.
Ok, I can swap it out for a 64 SSD. Could probably run windows 8 on a 32 though that might have it's own headaches.

How is the rest of the hardware? I would use a smaller PS, but when they get smaller they get really crappy. I doubt this setup will use more than 150watts. The case is nothing special but can handle several HDs
I would use the stock intel cooler. Its very decent for HTPC purposes.

I would increase your RAM to 4GB (about $10 or so more).

I would consider getting a 3TB external drive and harvesting the drive inside the external enclosure inside your HTPC. Usually externals are cheaper than bare drives. I did this for my entire server and probably saved about $150.

Also there is an Intel B75 board (newest chipset series) for $65 that I have listed in my guide. Has 8 SATA ports.
Yea I forgot to increase the ram because of win7. I will peak around for harvesting a drive. I am just going to get them as I need and expand the raid because the drive prices are still high from the flooding. I will look up the B75 board. Thanks a ton for the help! I am looking through your webpage.
Updated list

For 20 bucks more is it worth going up 4more gigs of ram?
Probably not. Plus it's something you can always walk to your local computer store and grab another 4 gigs, right?

I had Win 7 Ultimate on an Ion2 with 2 Gigs of ram, and it ran XBMC and decoded 1080p videos beautifully.
I use 4GB.

That said I will probably use 8GB on my next personal build because its so cheap nowadays.
Is this system going to be left running 24/7?
(2012-08-08, 22:19)jangjong Wrote: Are you saying you want to do XBMC and unRAID in a same machine?

Not possible.

Well, possible but quite complicated and not really recommended.. especially since you mention you don't know what you're doing.
if you still want NAS + HTPC to be in the same machine, you probably want to look at something like http://www.flexraid.com/ rather than unraid

That being said,..

Schumacher: Have you made up your mind what you want to do regarding this build? HTPC only,...or multi-purpose? Build another separate unRaid box?

I would probably just leave it running 24/7. It is HTPC only. I will mainly use it for x264 movies and tv shows. Somewhat for music.
(2012-08-09, 15:45)Schumacher Wrote: I would probably just leave it running 24/7. It is HTPC only. I will mainly use it for x264 movies and tv shows. Somewhat for music.

If you use a 3GB drive then you should be able to fit that number easily.
And,..this will do the job until you find the extra $$$ to build an unRaid if you desire redundancy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC build0