DIY display suggestions
Question 
Was walking through a big electronics mall here in Bangkok today where they have a lot of things to play with. There were these digital photo frames that caught my attention. Small little screens for as cheap as 40€. So I wondered whether it could be possible to buy one and use it as a display for the HTPC case. Unfortunately, after googling it, it seems I wasn't the first one with that idea and many say it's not possible.

However, what would be other ideas for a small little DIY display? Display such as in the Origen AE cases, or just a one line LCD display as in a normal hifi component. Also appreciate if you could point me to forums about such hacking and modding stuff (assume it's slightly off topic in the XMBC hardware board).
Would this just be to display things like remote controls, or for an actual display for XBMC?
Any ideas are welcome. This thread is not so much about a specific use case, but more for the fun of modding the HTPC and do something DIY.
Well, I'm not sure about using a small display like that for actual video, but I've always wanted to do something with an old/broken phone or small cheap tablet with either a nice web interface or an XBMC remote app. Then you could do stuff like control music without having to turn on the TV, have a backup set of full controls for when you lose your remote, etc.

I've got an old second gen iPod touch that I bought from ebay for $35 because it has a weak battery and a damaged dock port. I've been meaning to mod it into a case. Lots of great iOS remote apps that work great on it still, even if it's just displaying what's currently playing.

There's also a number of cheap Chinese Android tablets that are around $50-60 that likely have horrible battery life, but would work great for something like this.

A lot cheaper than the old text-LCD screens that some people mod into their cases, and with a ton more functionality.
I have an older version of this as my secondary display. I use it when I don't want to turn on my TV to navigate XBMC in order to just listen to music. I'm not using the touchscreen capability since I never did figure out how to get it to work with Linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DIY display suggestions 0