E350/MiniITX/Mobo/Case/FlexATXPSU Combo for $99 -- Worthwhile?
I'm currently running XBMC on a Sandy-Bridge based system and have been really happy. Been thinking about building a secondary unit for a bedroom, and saw this deal this morning:

$99 Combo

I apologize if posting commercial links is frowned-upon here, but it was the easiest way to show the parts/specs.

I have some DDR3, an SSD, and some other random parts in a drawer so realistically I could get this secondary XBMC box up and running for just $99.

The alternate path is to go with another Sandy Bridge system. I have a Microcenter nearby and have priced out a G630/H61 microATX combo for $108 including tax. Add a cheap microATX case for $30 or so, and I'm at about $140.

In terms of usage, if I'm primarily streaming local media (mostly <10mbit 720p/1080p H.264 mkv content + DVD ISOs) with some flash (ESPN3), am I going to notice a big difference between the two setups?

A miniITX box would be cool (versus the microATX alternative), but then there's the fan-noise trade as well.

I guess I'm just asking if there are any major pitfalls I should be aware of with the E350 combo versus a more traditional setup (which I'm used to)?

Between the HTPC, the Boxee Box, a Netgear EVA9150, and an Ouya coming someday, I'm fearful that I'll be on some A&E Hoaders: Buried Alive by Media Streamers show...

I researched on this site and others for about 2 weeks before I bought what I have in this link.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGeW

I found many mixed reviews about the E350. It's not much but I hope it helps.
I believe playing flash video streams in xbmc doesn't require much horsepower (they are mostly x264 in an mp4 container). My old and slow htpc had no problems with 1080p youtube trailers within xbmc. But in the browser it was a stutterfest. Espn3 plugin in xbmc should be fine.

You will not be able to do netflix hd as it is still a browser and silverlight affair. (No reliable hw acceleration)

You'll be just fine with the <10Mbit rips as long as they are not 10bit (very few videos are, and they are mostly anime). With the e-350, some people reported that some 1:1 rips (full bluray rips) have minor stutter.

With the SSD I don't think you'll notice that big of a difference and I believe it should be sufficient for a bedroom setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
E350/MiniITX/Mobo/Case/FlexATXPSU Combo for $99 -- Worthwhile?0