E350 sound over HDMI during video
Hello,

I'm having with sound over HDMI on my ASUS E35M1-M. It is running a minimal Ubuntu 12.04 installation which boots straight to XBMC. Drivers in use are the latest FGLRX available through the ubuntu repository at the moment of writing.

Please note that playing music does not give me any problems at all! When starting a video, regardless of which format, I never get any sound. After stopping the video, XBMC simply stops outputting any sound at all. Even when playing music.

The E350 is connected to the amplifier/receiver by HDMI, which passes through the video signal to the TV. The amplifier is using a 2.0 setup.

I have turned OFF the onboard soundcard in the BIOS as is doesn't seem necessary to me, right?

XBMC Audio settings:
-Audio output HDMI
-Speaking config. 2.0
-Boost volume OFF
-Output stereo to all speakers ON
-Dolby Digital AC3 capable receiver ON
-DTS capable receiver ON
-AAC capable receiver ON
-Multichannel LPCM capable receiver ON
-TrueHD capable receiver OFF (receiver does support it, but the FGLRX drivers do not AFAIK)
-DTS-HD option not available

Audio output device hw:card=Generic,DEV=3,HDMI 0
Passthrough output device HD-Audio Generic, HDMI

Any idea how to fix this? I've already been playing with the Audio output device setting, but it doesn't help.

My second question is, why is there an option to select a passthrough output device? Doesn't the audio output device serve the same purpose?
use the same device for passthrough. you might also have to disable menu sounds.
Or go for a nightly with Audio Engine and much better hardware video decoding: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
E350 sound over HDMI during video0