Media Player To First HTPC!
Hello!

I've been using media players for years now and after my last mistake (a300 pch) I have officially moved on to bigger and better: HTPC\XMBC. So, for the last few week's I've been reading all over this forum and it has provided me a lot of great info! I had originally decided to buy the Acer Revo, but then I thought I should go ahead and build my own and make sure the tech was good enough to get me by for a couple of years at least. The HTPC will mainly be used for movies and internet browsing. Please take a look at my list and let me know what you think!

CASE: Wesna HTPC-ITX7-Black + 120W PSU board and external AC/DC adapter + IR receiver and RC260 $170
MEMORY: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ $25
CPU: AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3650WNGXBOX $85
MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard $90
SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $73
TOTAL $443
Why the A8? I continue to be baffled as to why this is so popular on here.

This CPU plus the required aftermarket CPU cooler is $150, hot, power hungry and just not a good choice for HTPC, imo.
Great question! I value your opinion Assassin...do you prefer another chip? A6? i3\5? This my first build so, I'm definitely from Noob City on this one!
First, congrats on choosing to build your own. GREAT choice.

Second I would get the (in no particular order) A6-3500, new ivy i3s (comes out next week) or new Ivy Pentium if you don't need/want 3D (comes out next week as well).
Thanks! 3D won't be much of a need...I have a PS3 for that. So, everything else looks good as far as the equipment goes?
I would honestly get a cheaper PSU like some of the ones I recommend in my hardware guide and save some money there. I have used all of them and they are all completely silent from about a foot away. BTW, even a fanless PSU can make noise as some of them have a slight buzz.

I prefer Intel over AMD personally at this point as I think they have more upgrade options and their drivers (in my experience) are just much more stable and easier to use. With that case you can start with the iGPU on the Intel and if for any reason you aren't 100% happy you can add a discrete AMD or NVidia card for $20-$50 in about 5 minutes.

I use the iGPU in both my main HTPCs each and every day. I'm 100% happy and have used AMD, Intel and NVidia repeatedly. In fact my HTPC now has the NVidia GT430 installed and I still prefer the Intel iGPU for 1080p.
Any CPU easier with DTS\HD Audio and 1080p?
They all do HD Audio and 1080p.

The issues lie with HDMI handshake, drivers/software not keeping the correct resolution or refresh rates, silent stream bugs, etc etc. Even the reviewers are starting to mention these issues now. I have been mentioning them for months.
(2012-08-31, 02:26)assassin Wrote: ...In fact my HTPC now has the NVidia GT430 installed and I still prefer the Intel iGPU for 1080p.

Why would that be? Also, which iGPU?
(2012-08-31, 03:20)snowboarder33 Wrote:
(2012-08-31, 02:26)assassin Wrote: ...In fact my HTPC now has the NVidia GT430 installed and I still prefer the Intel iGPU for 1080p.

Why would that be? Also, which iGPU?

HD2000 (i3 2100). No difference for me compared to the GT430 for 1080p/720p which is what 99% of my media files are. Also use the HD1000 (G620T) in my bedroom HTPC.

I use the former machine for testing a lot and frequently switch out cards. I like using the Intel iGPU mainly because the handshaking is smooth between my HTPC, Denon AVR and Panasonic 65" Plasma. Hardly any bugs at all compared to some of the other cards I have used. High WAF.
I would suggest that if you aren't using this for any type of gaming, drop the RAM down to 4GB. Also, a $120 PSU seems a bit excessive to me, I am sure you could get a good modular PSU for almost half of that, unless you are really looking for fanless.

4GB sounds good to me! The case I'm looking at has built in fans. Can you recommend a good PSU to work with this setup. I'm seeing some really great prices but I'm not sure they will fit or work with my setup. What do you think about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-E...y_e_text_y
[/code]
Just updated my post....new case with built in PSU. Hope this works! Thanks for all of the help guys!
A couple of things:

You have chosen a Mini ITX case, you will need to change your motherboard selection. If you want to stay with AMD then I would go with Assassin's recommendation and go with the A6-3500. The 65W TDP will be much better in a mITX case than the 100W A8.

With that said the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B has a RAM clearance of ~40mm. I would see if you can find the installed height of the RAM you have selected to make sure if it fit if you get a motherboard with the RAM slots close to the CPU.

Are you using a NAS? Just asking because you haven't listed a HDD.
Okay...updated the Mobo to a mini. The ram should fit...my build is largely based on Beer40oz's setup. I have the SSD, but I'm also using a NAS setup. Do I need the cpu cooler? Are there other alternatives?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Player To First HTPC!1