Need help on installing new xbmc build over xbmc 10 but backing up first.
Hi all

I have been using xbmc 10.1 for a year now and wanted to try out the new beta builds so that i can try out the nre features and the hd audio.

some of the Questions

Q1 If i copy or backup my orig xbmc 10.1 folder location c\programs folder and Roaming\XBMC folder to a safe place can i just install the betas over the top

Q2 also could i backup the new beta folders to and then just replace the installed beta folders with the older versions so thta i can run my older version ? meaning i can switch between the to by replacing both folders when i want. i would not be to bothered about my library getting updated on the beta as i am just testing it.

i want to be able to have a play with the betas but still be able to go back to my older versions.

xbmc does not install or change anything in the reg files when installing ? does xbmc just install in the 2 folder locations and thats it ? so i could have 2 versions in my machine

cheers for any help

Comparing your older build with the latest, there has been many iterations between and you most likely will have some issues. This wiki will give you more comprehensive information than I can supply http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...den%29_FAQ regardintg the update.

Off the cuff advice... (for windows version) rename your C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC to XBMC-Dharma and your C:\Users\Your_Computer_Name\AppData\Roaming\XBMC to XBMC-Dharma and install and run whatever version you like... if you have backed up your metadata as separate files in your movie folders a local scrape should run through pretty quickly. I can say that a LOT of add-ons are not transferable and you'll have to re-install them, after you've had your play... deleting/renaming these XBMC files and renaming the older version back to the orignal names will result in Zero loss.

re: quick answers to your questions:

1) Yes but your success is not assured.

2) No as I understand the question.

supplementary: You can only have 1 copy of the program XBMC and reference it live. You can have more than one under different names (e.g. XBMC-Dharma) but they will be unavailable as executable code and most of the hard coded paths still reference the name XBMC.

You could also try Eden in portable mode. Even from a USB stick.
And i personally prefer having my data exported to the folders where the actual movie is.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Cheers all

I am going to just rename both my xbmc 10 to a different name then install the beta. Then I can just rename the folders to the version want to use.

I just thought it might add stuff to the reg files when installing but if it just installed files to 2 folders it should be easy.

I have info files in all my folders for movies and tv shows

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help on installing new xbmc build over xbmc 10 but backing up first.0