[solved] TV reports "unsuported signal" whenever I open XBMC
I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pack 2, on an old Acer Aspire 5315 laptop. The version of XBMC I'm using is v11. Previously I had the laptop connected via VGA cable to a Konka TV and all worked great.

However I just bought a new Sony KDL-26EX550 TV... it works fine and shows the display as you would expect until I open XBMC, when all of a sudden the TV goes blank and reports, "unsupported signal". Alt+tab back to desktop, and the display works fine again.

I've tried different resolutions, tried setting the output to be external monitor only, nothing seems to work.

The Sony people aren't interested in helping, as the TV works fine connected to the PC apart from this one program.

I am so confused right now!! If anyone could offer advice I'd be hugely grateful.
I am no expert on this as you described your problem very vaguely (debug logs would help, otherwise too general) but as far as I can tell it seems that xbmc is set to a custom resolution (from your former tv usage) that your new tv has problems with. It seems that you could fix this problem by editing xbmc configuration file to some default resolution your tv has no problems to deal with.
From a quick google, looks like Sony TVs can sometimes be very finicky on their HDMI signals. One possible thing to try is to use (I think it's called this) full screen window instead of full screen in System -> Settings -> Video output (inside of XBMC).
Big Grin 
Ned, thank you so much, that's fixed it!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[solved] TV reports "unsuported signal" whenever I open XBMC0