XMLTV Epg Grabber
please a full tutorial on how did you installed on the pi will be awsome

thank you
See my new post below for install instructions...
(2013-07-28, 13:55)sergio_pilot Wrote: please a full tutorial on how did you installed on the pi will be awsome

thank you

WebGrab+Plus won't work on the Pi because I've read that the current Mono release has issues with the architecture. Hardfloat vs softfloat.

BUT (and maybe this needs a new thread) I did install xmltv on my Pi with no issues.

I run Xbian but I would have thought it would work with Raspbmc - Not sure about OpenELEC though.

All you have to do is SSH to your pi and type 'sudo apt-get install xmltv'. This will install all the libraries etc. and you're good to go.

Follow this How To Use Grabbers Guide which explains how to set it up.

On both installs (WebGrab and xmltv) I also installed davfs2 onto the Pi. So now it can mount my cloud storage on boot up and I can share my xmltv file with my parents' Pi.

I have both Pi's setup with the TVGuide add-on and once a week they automatically update with new tv listings. Nice. Big Grin
ok, i follow it the same way as you did but i am still geting an error, i think is because it is not finding the WebGrab++.config.xml most probably the path is wrong, but i do not know, i am installing it in a Raspberry pi so the path should be as follows:

WebGrab++.config.xml as follows

<filename>/home/pi/WG++/exe/guide.xml</filename>

mdb file as follows:

<filename>/home/pi/WG++/exe/mdb/guide.xml</filename>
<ldbfilename update="f">/home/pi/WG++/exe/mdb/mdb.xml</ldbfilename>

rex files as follows:

<filename>/home/pi/WG++/exe/rex/guide.xml</filename>

and this is the error i got when i run mono WebGrab+Plus.exe "/home/pi/WG++/exe/"

WebGrab+Plus/w MDB & REX Postprocess -- version 1.1.1/50

Jan van Straaten

many thanks to Paul Weterings and Francis de Paemeleere
-------------------------------------------------------

Error while reading - WebGrab++.config.xml - check existance and/or format
Read logfile for details

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at WebGrab.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at WebGrab.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
pi@raspbmc:~/WG++/exe$
Sorry but as I said, WebGrab+Plus won't work on a Pi. Believe me , I tried everything to get it to work. Until there's a working version of Mono for the Pi it's a dead-end.

One option you have is to install xmltv (see my post above). It operates differently and doesn't grab from as many sites but it works perfectly fine on the Pi.

Cheers

Rich
Hi Rich,

ok i got it, i will have to wait, btw i am installing xmltv right now and it works for now, at least the grabber shows on the list but the quality is not really great.

thanks again for your help
No problem Sergio.

I'm no expert and maybe there is a way to make it work. Personally I'm just happy that it works on OS X.

They can now put it on their website as a truly cross-platform solution. Wink
Just a quick update on the OS X stuff... I'm waiting for some guidance from the guys that run the WebGrab+Plus website because the instructions I gave the other day do work but are a bit over-complicated.

I was following my nose a bit when I tested things out.Wink

Rest assured that it does work on OS X. It's just a lot simpler to install than I explained before.

Cheers

Rich
This is now the best set of instructions to install WebGrab+Plus on OS X. A definitive guide will added to their website soon.
Until then, these are the steps to follow:

Although all of this install can be done in the command line, I have tried to give most of the instructions using the Finder in OS X.
PLEASE BE AWARE that WebGrab+Plus is currently a command line based application so you will need to be comfortable using Terminal but all of the configuration can be done using a text editor. Personally, I use TextWrangler to edit and configure all the .xml files. It is free and more powerful than the default TextEditor that comes with OS X.

The Install Steps: (I'm going to use my test install locations for this guide so just adjust any locations based on your computer setup).

1. Create 2 new folders on your Mac. One is a temporary folder for the downloaded files and the other will be where you want to run WebGrab+Plus from.
I created these 2 folders in my Home Folder: 'WGTempFolder' and 'WGTest'. You can put these folders wherever you like but I find my Home folder is best because it's easier to navigate to.

2. Download and install Mono Runtime and Mono Develop for OS X from here.. I'm not sure the Develop install is needed but I did read on another forum that some Linux users found that helped. (I will update this in the future).
I downloaded the stable versions (2.10.x) so cannot say if the latest release (3.2.0) will work or not.

3. Download the latest version of WebGrab+Plus for Linux and the upgrade from here. to your temporary folder (WGTempFolder in my example).
The latest files are called:
WebGrabPlusV1.1.1LINUX.rar
patchexe_50.zip

4. De-compress these files. I use the free version of StuffitExpander for this. Whatever way you do this step is up to you as long as the .rar file and .zip file are expanded into their own folders within your temporary Folder.

5. Copy the WebGrab+Plus.exe file from /users/richard/WGTempFolder/patchexe_50/ into /users/richard/WGTest.

6. Copy the REX and the MDB folders from /users/richard/WGTempFolder/WebGrabPlusV1.1.1LINUX/ into /users/richard/WGTest.

7. Copy the WebGrab+Plus.config.xml file from /users/richard/WGTempFolder/WebGrabPlusV1.1.1LINUX/ into /users/richard/WGTest.

The .exe file in the 'patchexe_50' folder is the key here. This is the latest version of the Application and is the one you need to make this all work.

The Application is now installed but for it work you have to configure all of the settings.
There is a guide on the website but here is a condensed version. I do recommend reading the website though.

Basically, you now need to tell WebGrab what channels you want and where to get them from.

To do this you need to edit 3 .xml files:

1. WebGrab+Plus.config.xml
2. mdb.config.xml
3. rex.config.xml

The WebGrab+Plus.config.xml is important here. What you are doing is telling it what channels you want and where to save your final output file (the XMLTV file you will then use in XBMC). It can have any name and location you like.
EG. In line 12 of the WebGrab+Plus.config.xml file I changed my output file to <filename>/users/richard/WGTest/channels.xml</filename>

Even if you don't want to use the mdb and rex capabilities of the software, you still need to configure them to make WebGrab run.
There are 3 lines to edit in the .xml files (2 in mdb.config.xml and 1 in rex.config.xml).
All you need to do is type in a location for these temporary files to be kept while the Application is running. The default locations will not work so just change them to your REX and MDB folders.

In my example these are:
In the mdb.config.xml file at line 46: <filename>/users/richard/WGTest/MDB/guide.xml</filename>
In the mdb.config.xml file at line 56: <ldbfilename update="f">/users/richard/WGTest/MDB/mdb.xml</ldbfilename>
In the rex.config.xml at line 23: <filename>/users/richard/WGTest/REX/guide.xml</filename>

To add the channels you want you need to download a .ini file and .channels.xml file from the website for the web location that you want to get your channels from. Once you've done this you need to add the channels to your WebGrab+Plus.config.xml file by copying and pasting. PLEASE READ the instructions on the site on how to do this.

PLEASE NOTE: Any .ini files you want to use must reside in the same folder as the main Application. In my example /users/richard/WGTest. Just copy them there after you downloaded them.

Once you have your channels added to the WebGrab+Plus.config.xml file you are done.

To run the software type the following command into the terminal (changing location for your setup).

cd /users/richard/WGTest/
mono WebGrab+Plus.exe "/users/richard/WGTest/"

Don't forget the quote marks.

Whew!!!
That all might sound a bit over complicated but trust me, once you set it up the software runs like a charm. They have .ini files for more tv guide sites around the world than any other software I've tried so the world is your oyster.

Please check out and register on the WebGrab forum because the guys that run this are very helpful and will answer any further questions as quick as they can.

This is all free software run in their own spare time so a big thank you comes from me to Jan and Francis that run the site.

If I can help further please ask.

Cheers

Rich
(2013-07-28, 15:58)DixieDean Wrote: Sorry but as I said, WebGrab+Plus won't work on a Pi. Believe me , I tried everything to get it to work. Until there's a working version of Mono for the Pi it's a dead-end.

Well, there is a working version of Mono for the Pi.

And I have got WebGrab+Plus working on a Pi.

So you CAN install WebGrab+Plus on a PI. You can read the install procedure on the WebGrab+Plus site.
Good news Francis. Sorry, but I hadn't noticed your updates on the Pi stuff.

Will that method then work happily with XBMC running on top? If so, that's really great.

Personally, I've gone with running WG++ on my mac so as not to overload my little Pi that's doing all the good stuff powering my TV. Wink
Hi, I have a question regarding WG++ and vdr.

I followed instructions from the webgrabplus.com page. And I managed to get a guide.xml. But now what?

How do I make WG++ communicate with vdr?

Hello!

nice work! Any Tvheadend integration possible?
sorry for this probably stupid question ....

/krijeck
rebuilding ....
I'm interested in using this with tvheadend as well, but I have no idea how to make it work, also just posted the question on the tvheadend forum as well as the webgrab+ forum and now here. maybe it could be done in a similar way as this person has done. I would imagine that this info on how EPG is used by tvheadend might be useful as well. would be great to have it working Smile
fyi thanks to francis there is some movement on the integration with tvheadend!! Smile
http://www.webgrabplus.com/content/using...mment-1193

latest update:

now a little stuck with the whole thing, so it does show up in the drop down menu in tvheadend but does not return any epg data. webgrab+ produces a guide.xml how to tell tvheadend to read out that file?

some info on how the files looks like:
http://webgrabplus.com/node/30 (wiki)

here actually a sample guide.xml that i produced:
http://pastebin.com/chDrNS6T (wiki)

my WebGrab++config.xml file:
http://pastebin.com/KAthnGZA (wiki)

WebGrab+ log file (let's disregard for now the missing channels in there):
http://pastebin.com/gfMKuErt (wiki)

tvheadend log file entries:
http://pastebin.com/ZFLjdL5y (wiki)

any tips on how to get it working? thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help