ergonomics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
idoru17 Offline
I've tried some of xbmc skins and found every of them lacking something in this thread title department.

Let's stick to Welo for now... As xbmc is a media center and as a media center could be required when one has more than 3 movies to handle, the best and really useful view in movies is the wall view and I think you could really improve its ergonomics ! Let me explain...

Upon scrolling either way, the focal view is the upscaled thumb at the leftmost or rightmost edge. When this thumb coulb benefit from a bit more upscaling view (there is some room left for this), being at the edge of the screen has a big disadvantage : one cannot see what's coming ! I don't know if it's possible as I'm no coder but I do think that blocking that upscaled thumb two steps away from the edge of the screen represents a big improvement, like the screenshot shows :

[Image: screenshot022ov.png]

like this, one has a little more than 2/3 of the screen showing whats viewed, the focused view (upscaled thumb) and what's coming being a bit less the last third of the screen.
find quote
liquidskin76 Offline
Skilled Skinner
(2012-09-21 19:49)idoru17 Wrote:  I've tried some of xbmc skins and found every of them lacking something in this thread title department.

Let's stick to Welo for now... As xbmc is a media center and as a media center could be required when one has more than 3 movies to handle, the best and really useful view in movies is the wall view and I think you could really improve its ergonomics ! Let me explain...

Upon scrolling either way, the focal view is the upscaled thumb at the leftmost or rightmost edge. When this thumb coulb benefit from a bit more upscaling view (there is some room left for this), being at the edge of the screen has a big disadvantage : one cannot see what's coming ! I don't know if it's possible as I'm no coder but I do think that blocking that upscaled thumb two steps away from the edge of the screen represents a big improvement, like the screenshot shows :

[Image: screenshot022ov.png]

like this, one has a little more than 2/3 of the screen showing whats viewed, the focused view (upscaled thumb) and what's coming being a bit less the last third of the screen.

Hey idoru,

I had thought about that a while ago, however never got much time to investigate the tweak. Actually wanted the left most and right most covers partially off the screen. Welo had a mockup of this and it looks great. It's still on the list of design improvements so will hopefully get sorted at some time.

Cheers for your thoughts. Wink

HTPC: Streacom FC8 EVO | Asus H87I-Plus ITX | Intel Core i5-4670T | Kingston HyperX SSD | Kingston DDR3 RAM
Home AV: Sony KDL-40HX723 | Sky+HD | Sony BDP-S480 BD Player | Sony Soundbar | Sony PS3 Slim | Logitech Harmony Touch
find quote