which SSD for my htpc?
hey guys not sure which ssd would be best to use the Samsung 830 64gb or Crucial CT064M4SSD2BAA 64 gb?

my build is
Intel i3-3225
Asus P8H77-M
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600 Kit Vengeance LP
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Antec Neo ECO 420W PSU
SilverStone SST-ML03B

thanks
Samsung Smile

i have the 256 GB SSD 830 since one week in my htpc .... fantastic Big Grin
Why not ocz vertex 3/4 or agility? Ive seen them for 70/100/50$ in norway so should be even cheaper on ebay etc.
My experience with SSD says: "It's totally unimportant which one. Only look at the size."

Really. It's not important if you buy Samsung, OCZ, ADATA, Corsair or something else. You will never see speed differences between these in the daily use. Only benchmarks will show you differences but this shouldn't be payed with expensive money.

If you see one where all people write "Oh my god it died after one week" then don't buy it.
Everything else isn't really important.

So buy some new releases and no old ones and look that you have some free space after installing your system so that only a maximum of 3/4 of their total size is filled with data. That's all.

Don't waste your money for expensive drives which seem to be faster but where you will never see a difference.
Both Samsung 830 64GB (Samsung's own controller) or Crucial M4 64GB (Marvell controller) are two best choice from my point of view. I would avoid from SandForce controller SSD.
+1 for the Samsung 830. I use a 128GB, it's fantastic.
(2012-09-27, 10:01)joethefox Wrote: Both Samsung 830 64GB (Samsung's own controller) or Crucial M4 64GB (Marvell controller) are two best choice from my point of view. I would avoid from SandForce controller SSD.

Why not sandforce? The agility is known for being one of the best drives avalable preformance/$.
great replies I think might go with the samsung
(2012-09-27, 11:10)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Why not sandforce? The agility is known for being one of the best drives avalable preformance/$.

Sandforce has/had a reputation for dodgy firmware in it's early days. Intel and Crucial have had firmware problems too, but dealt with them quickly and honestly. Sandforce (in the guise of OCZ SSDs) had more problems. So it's got a bit of a history. Whether this is valid now, who knows.
I have Crucial M4 and Vertex III and love them both.
-1 for OCZ and anything else Sandforce. (Kingston? Sandisk?) I believe OCZ is moving away from that controller but can't confirm.

+1 for Samsung and Crucial...fantastic SSD's.
i have samsung 830 64gb its excellent and based on reviews it has a low failure rating 2nd only to intel which are very expensive.
Htpc A6-3500,Gygabyte GA-A75M-D2H,Samsung 830 64gb ssd,GSkills ripjaws 2x4gb,Apevia xmaster case with 500w psu,
Asus black internal bluray drive,logitech k400 wireless keyboard.
I also have the Samsung 830 series 64GB, the reliability rating on their proprietary controllers are very high. Great speeds as well, ~8 seconds cold boot to Win7 desktop time (that includes a 3 second BIOS screen delay).
Samsung 830 or Crucial M4, doesn't make a difference between the two.

Other options are cheaper but have spotty reliability, proceed with caution.

With recent price changes a 128GB might only cost you a little bit more, so keep that in mind.
+1 to what most here have already said.

Hours of googling on reliability, performance, etc usually leads to three main recommended manufacturers:

Intel, Samsung & Crucial - not in any specific order, but whatever is best deal at the moment.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
which SSD for my htpc?0