Win Using EventGhost to translate remote presses to keyboard presses
Exclamation 
Hi All,

I'm a long term XBMC user but up until recently only upon Linux but due to a box crash I've had to replace my box with a Windows 7 box (long story) and everything seems to have transferred across and works as expected except for one thing - remote control!

Under Linux I used the excellent LIRC along side my cheap but fairly cheerful Cyberlink remote control which is a MCE type remote (but not official type.)

At the moment I have Eventghost translating certain controls using the XBMC2 plugin but my only problem is I'm having to add every command in to the certain sections of the XBMC2 plugin and I can't always find the right command or I'm having to add it for one thing and not an other. What I'd really like to do would be to not use this plugin and have Eventghost instead take the remote keypress and output it as a keyboard press - know what keypresses do what on XBMC this would make it much easier for me.

Is this even possible? If so how do I go about it? Can't find anything searching Google.

Thanks in advance!
(2012-10-06, 20:32)BuhSnarf Wrote: At the moment I have Eventghost translating certain controls using the XBMC2 plugin but my only problem is I'm having to add every command in to the certain sections of the XBMC2 plugin and I can't always find the right command or I'm having to add it for one thing and not an other.

For the most part you should not need to. The main XBMC2 section covers most actions. I only have 3 custom buttons mapped (and they are not really needed) for Fullscreen, Codec (for troubleshooting), and Add to Queue... that took 2 minutes to do.

(2012-10-06, 20:32)BuhSnarf Wrote: What I'd really like to do would be to not use this plugin and have Eventghost instead take the remote keypress and output it as a keyboard press - know what keypresses do what on XBMC this would make it much easier for me.

Is this even possible? If so how do I go about it? Can't find anything searching Google.

Thanks in advance!

What you are asking for is basically what the XBMC2 plugin does :map IR remote codes (from your remote) into XBMC commands.

Also, the EG forums is the best place to ask EG questions

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2012-10-07, 03:05)Livin Wrote: For the most part you should not need to. The main XBMC2 section covers most actions. I only have 3 custom buttons mapped (and they are not really needed) for Fullscreen, Codec (for troubleshooting), and Add to Queue... that took 2 minutes to do.

What you are asking for is basically what the XBMC2 plugin does :map IR remote codes (from your remote) into XBMC commands.

Also, the EG forums is the best place to ask EG questions

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried using the XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC but I'm finding some annoying glitches that differ between this way and the way I'm used to on LIRC.

1 example is that I have mapped the "Info" key on my remote to XBMC2.Info on Eventghost, this works fine within file browsing as it brings up the info screen however now when I'm in a video and press info it brings up the OSD (as expected) but a second press does not get rid of it and I have to press "Live TV" twice to get rid of it.

If I have it mapped to a keyboard press it'd just make it loads easier - I can't believe how awkward remote usage on Windows is! Maybe I should just admit defeat and get an MCE remote!
I have a Harmony remote and USB-UIRT and the behavior you are seeing, I'm not. 'Info' turns the OSD on/off as it should. I have not used the remote you have (or any MCE remote) so I have no experience there but others on the EG forums do.

If you want a keyboard, you can, though the remote mappings should be exactly the same as using the keybaord. If they are not, then the XBMC2 coder will fix any bug you find VERY quickly.

I suggest opening a new thread on the EG forums, posting your XML, and you get help directly from the XBMC2 coder.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I believe I've solved it. Easiest way is to not use xbmc2 plugin at all and just create a macro that emulates a keystroke and do it that way.

Once I figured it out it was real easy for anyone else with this lovely under Linux but a pain in the arse under Windows remote!

Under EG add new macro with type Window.EmulateKeypress and whichever key you want p for play for example and then press the button on the remote to show it bring captured in the log window and then drag this over to trigger the macro. Job done.

Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using EventGhost to translate remote presses to keyboard presses0