Multiple PVRs
Hi all, I was wondering whether the following would be possible before I spend hours trying to configure my system...

I have a Lenovo Q180 with Bluray running Windows 7 and XBMC on my main TV system (with a script to run 3d blurays when loaded), connected to a NAS for Movies / songs etc. I also have a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian running tvheadend as my backend also connected to a separate NAS for TV programmes. In order to keep the system wife and kid friendly I want to run the Live TV from the Lenovo directly, whilst doing all of the PVR stuff from the raspberry. The reason for doing this is that I don't want live TV to be interrupted should I be doing something silly like moving large files around my network and suffer the ire of my wife.

My question is whether it would be possible to do this? Obviously I can't use TVHeadend on the Windows machine, and bluray java support isn't sufficient in Linux yet to allow me to move to that system fully, so I need to be able to run the Live TV section from a backend on the Lenovo, whilst leaving the PVR section linked to the Raspberry PI and TVHeadend.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

David
Totally possible. I haven't done it myself, so I'm not sure if there are any tweaks or things to look out for, but XBMC shouldn't have any major issues using multiple PVR backends.

You'll obviously will need a tuner for each backend, but it should work.
Thank you very much, I'll have to start experimenting with setup on another PC first.....
I'd be careful about transferring too much data about over USB (the tuner) and the network (also on the USB buss) with the Raspberry Pi. It might get overloaded. Definitely give it a try but don't be surprised if the Raspberry Pi suffers USB issues.
Thanks ant_thomas, I'm hoping to avoid that bottleneck by using the NAS, rather than a HDD attached to the Pi. I've only got one tuner card on my raspberry pi (but considering getting multiple Pis, all running tvheadend). Hopefully with each multiplex running at 50Mb/s, there should be enough headroom for moving a whole multiplex through the Pi and onto the NAS. I may experiment with a second tuner and see if it confuses the datarates if I'm just doing single channels.

Thanks again for your comments.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multiple PVRs0