Opening Library makes all HDD's on server spin up
Hey all,

I have a problem with my XBMC setup here at home. I'm already weeks now trying to find a sollution by experimenting and looking things up on the internet.

In short, I have an XBMC installation on multiple HTPC's and a central Server (WHS 2011). All my media (films and series) are stored on 12 Hard Disks in the Server. The problem is that every time I open the Film Library or series library, after scrolling through it, all my HDD's in the server will start to spin up. And this is not something i want because it are 12 HDD's, it consumes power and it's bad for the HDD's to spin up so many times.

I only use local fanart which is storted in the folders of the series/Films. However the video files and other files (fanart, nfo) are not on the same drive. This is done through a program called Stablebit Drivepool. It Takes a bunch of hard disks and shows it to the system as one volume. This way for the system, alle files are in the same folder, but my video files are on the 20 HDD's and the fanart is on the boot disks which never spins down (ssd).

I've tried lots of things. XBMC Eden and Frodo, bot with standard confluence skin as well as with Aeon MQ4 and Aeon Nox 3/4. I use a central Mysql Database on the server.

So my question, why are my hdd's always spinning up, it must be that
- XBMC checks if the files are still there, this would be stupid
- To load the fanart, XBMC doesnt just load the image file from a link but really browses the folder. Because of my setup, opening a direct link would not spin up the hdd's, but browsing a folder would.

- I found this on the wiki .
9. If it's been at least 24 hours since the texture was last loaded, we check whether or not the cached version needs to be refreshed from the original image. If so, we cache the image as outlined above.
Is this check what is causing the problem? I think so, because the problem seems to be occuring only once a day for each client. So if you start up the client after again after a few hours, HDD's won't spin up. And if so, can i change the interval or completely disable it.

Update: A developer says here that he will make the intervall configurable, has this been done yet? I can't find a setting for advancedsettings.xml on the wiki.
Update 2: I looked in the sourcecode, and found lots of reference tot he caching and checking process but not a place to change the intervall, but I'm not a experienced programmer.

I hoped that frodo would solve this problem, because i read something about a new way of storing fanart information in the database, the problem however is the same.

Hope someone can help me out here.

Edit: Oh and I'm not using exotic fanart, only a .tbn file of the movie 'We Were Soldiers.tbn', a 'We Were Soldiers.nfo' and a 'We Were Soldiers-fanart.jpg'

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Opening Library makes all HDD's on server spin up1