Reboot via Remote (keymap)
Question 
I occasionally have issues where after using Apple's Netflix app and then starting XBMC that XBMC is sluggish in all aspects of the GUI and video playback is near impossible. This is resolved by rebooting the ATV box. This is accomplished by holding down the enter and menu buttons on the original ATV remote BUT I typically use a Logitech Harmony remote and it doesn't like the holding down of two buttons at once.

I notice that the ATV shutdown function only allows quit unlike the Linux/Windows/OSX versions which allow Shutdown/Reboot as well so I assume that it's not supported by the underlying OS.

I'm trying to modify the keymap in order to reprogram a key (in this case the original id="8" (hold menu button)) to run a python script to call the reboot command. The contents of the script are simply:
Code:
import os
os.system("/sbin/reboot")

While I see in the xbmc logs that the python script is being called, the box is not being rebooted. Can anyone shed some light on why this isn't working or offer some suggestion on another way to reboot it from the remote easily?

This has always been an issue and I don't think it's with XBMC but with the Netflix app releasing memory and/or cpu properly. It's not all the time but often enough that it gets annoying.

Thanks!
Since XBMC is running as user "mobile" i could imagine that this user hasn't enough rights for rebooting the box. You would need to suid bit the reboot binary (if this is even possible on ios). There is no sudo for ios afaik which would have helped you too.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I figured this was the case. Thanks for your help Memphiz.

Cheers!
(2012-11-29, 05:17)manxam Wrote: BUT I typically use a Logitech Harmony remote

i use a harmony remote and found that the harmony database already has "reset" as one of the pre-defined commands for the ATV2. I've got reset assigned as a special button, click it once and ATV2 resets straight away.

Really? Must be a newer command set as when I set mine up I didn't see it there or perhaps I just didn't look for it Smile But damn I hate reprogramming this thing. It's an 890 RF and you have to go unhook all the IR blasters and power from the extender (once you extract it from your nicely hidden away media closet), reprogram the extender and then re program the remote. It doesn't help that I run a Mac laptop either and have to run Windows in virtualbox because the harmony software doesn't work worth a damn on OSX (random disconnects).

BUT.. THANKS for pointing me in that direction. I now know what I have to do Smile

(2012-11-30, 00:07)cromity123 Wrote: i use a harmony remote and found that the harmony database already has "reset" as one of the pre-defined commands for the ATV2. I've got reset assigned as a special button, click it once and ATV2 resets straight away.

I assigned this button in my harmony remote, too. But unfortunately ATV2 only blinks shortly, nothing happens.

(Using the original remote you need to hold down and menu for 5 seconds, until ATV2 is blinking rapidly.)

Anyone else experiencing this? Any trick to make it work? Do I have to modify keymaps for this?
Romanes eunt domus
(2012-12-14, 17:34)skippr Wrote:
(2012-11-30, 00:07)cromity123 Wrote: i use a harmony remote and found that the harmony database already has "reset" as one of the pre-defined commands for the ATV2. I've got reset assigned as a special button, click it once and ATV2 resets straight away.

I assigned this button in my harmony remote, too. But unfortunately ATV2 only blinks shortly, nothing happens.

(Using the original remote you need to hold down and menu for 5 seconds, until ATV2 is blinking rapidly.)

Anyone else experiencing this? Any trick to make it work? Do I have to modify keymaps for this?

To reset the apple TV2 from the apple remote you hold the menu and play/pause buttons for 7 seconds until the device starts to blink fast the release the this reboots the device. however a word of warning, if you have nitoTV installed as doing this can reset the device to factory default (you loose your jailbreak)

This has happened to me before hence why i don't have nito TV installed. This has also been mentioned on several other forums.
crap - its down and menu for reboot!
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reboot via Remote (keymap)0