Foxconn lga1155, itx, barebones kit is on sale
Foxconn RM2-H2 Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1155) Intel Socket H2(LGA1155) Intel H61 none 1 x HDMI Barebone

This seems like a really good deal. You could slap in some RAM, a G530, and a little 32GB SSD and get a decent little HTPC. Something like this, yeah?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($43.76 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk ReadyCache 32GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Foxconn RM2-H2 Barebone Kit ($59.99)
Total: $173.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-29 08:00 EST-0500)

Thanks for posting, can any experts give their opinion on this kit? Thinking of doing an i3 build with this kit, is that a good choice?
Just be wary buying an Ivy Bridge i3. You will need to call them so they can send you a new BIOS chip if you want to use an Ivy Bridge.

Quote:Manufacturer Response:
For Ivy Bridge processor, please call us at 714-626-6909 for a replacement BIOS chip. Our hours of operation are (M-F from 830am-530pm, PST, excluding public holidays).

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
Foxconn support team

Otherwise it I think it should be good.
(2012-11-29, 17:43)rag1998 Wrote: Thanks for posting, can any experts give their opinion on this kit? Thinking of doing an i3 build with this kit, is that a good choice?
Why not? It should make good HTPC....for Windows 7&8, I'm recommending at least 60GB of SSD drive.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The ReadyCache SSDs are not meant to be storage. I would not use if to an OS drive. Who knows how it will perform now or in the future. And, like bluray says, it's too small anyway. Find a nice Crucial M4 64GB or Samsung 830 64GB.
Thanks for the info guys, first time PC builder here, so trying to understand how everything pieces together!!

Since I am planning to use a i3 3225 with this, I will go ahead and check with Foxconn regarding the BIOS chip.

and sorry for hijacking your thread h0ly lag Smile
I didn't know that about the ReadyCache SSD's. Although now looking at the name now it kind of makes sense.

You could go with Crucial V4 if you want to stay on the cheap. You can always upgrade the SSD to something like Dougie mentioned. Both of those are great.
Would a quality high-speed USB drive boot OpenElec quickly on one of these? Any recommendations for a 4gb or 8gb with known good read speeds? And for XBMC on OpenElec, would 4gb or memory even be necessary? Would a single 2gb stick be enough? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Barebones: Foxconn RM2-H2 Barebone Kit ($59.99 @ NewEgg)
CPU: Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($43.99 @ Amazon w/ Prime)
RAM: AMD Entertainment Edition 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ($8.99 @ NewEgg)
USB Drive: Verbatim Store 'n' Stay 4GB Netbook USB Drive Model 97462 ($6.99 @ NewEgg)

Total: $119.96 shipped

The USB drive I linked to is actually a tiny MicroSD reader that is sealed... if you ever decide you need a faster card or more storage, it can easily be upgraded.

Thoughts?
I think for OpenElec you can get away with 2GB of RAM. You can always add a second stick if it proves to be an issue.

You might want more space if you have a lot of userdata. A flash drive will do ok, but a SSD is still better. These are good USB 2.0 flash drives.
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive
lol @ the Patriot details

Quote:driverless support for Windows ME and better

Well that's a relief!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Foxconn lga1155, itx, barebones kit is on sale0