Linux i3-3225 Build
Photo 
[Motherboard] =GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP 109.99 + Free 8g Ram!
[Proccessor] = Intel Core i3-3225 129.99
[HeatSink] = Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 39.99
[Case] = SilverStone ML03B 54.99
[SSD] = OCZ Technology 64GB Vertex 4 69.99
[HD] = Seagate 7200RPM 2 TB 89.99
[PSU] = FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300 55.99
[CDROM] = Lite-On LightScribe 24X 32.99

Total = 583.92

I am going a Ubuntu + XBMC + Sickbeard Route

Pictures:
Gallery
Side View
Top View
Better Top
Close Up of ram

Problems so far:
I had to mount the PSU Upside down
The cables for the particular PSU i got are really short, which is actually very nice. I had to mount it upside down to get the extra 3 inches to have all the cords get to where they needed to go. So now the fan for the PSU is just blowing against the top of the case rather then through exhaust port on the case. I am hoping this wont cause issues, but f it does i will just drill some holes in the top of the case. Also the PSU only came with 2 SATA power connectors. I needed 3 for this build, but luckily i had an extra converter that would convert one of the other connectors to SATA laying around from a different PSU I bought like 6 years ago.

Motherboard will not display BIOS through HDMI
I don't really know a solution to this one yet. I don't have a real monitor anymore since i mostly use Laptops so i am going to borrow one from a friend to see if i can get it to work. Right now when i hit the DELETE Key at the POST screen it just turns the screen blank.

Had to remove the heat shield from one of the ram pieces
The Heatsink is HUGE! And as such it was touching the RAM that came with the mother board just a little bit and was slightly bent at an angle. I wasn't sure if that would be a problem or not so i just took that heat shroud thingy off the ram and stuck it in there. I think it is mostly there for looks anyway and the fan from the heatsink is large enough where it will be pulling air from the ram any way.

Not getting sound on some files
When i playback some files i an not getting any sound. I can play the file on the desktop and it plays the sound just fine but in XBMC i get nothing. It was 2 AM when i found this issue so i am not too worried, i will look at it tonight after work. The file i first noticed it with was an .AVI, but my other .AVI files worked fine.

Any Questions?

Any Requests?

Any Suggestions?

No comment on the running of XBMC itself but I built a secondary system for the basement in this exact same case with an E350 based W8 system. It's a nice case, I just added a single fan to the side for some exhaust, not that I should really need it and if it's noisy at all I'll remove it. I have a full size ATX PSU however since I'm not bothering with a BD/DVD drive (it's a XBMC/WMC client only) I won't have an issue with being close to it.
Right now it produces no noise with the giant heatsink and small PSU. I was hoping to remove the optical drive too, but i needed it for the inisal build, since i seem to always have trouble with setting up boot-able USB sticks(also i cant switch the boot order right now with an hdmi display so i needed the drive). I will probably pull it out once the drives ISOSTICKS.COM are back in stock
After having this system for a few months i am very happy with it. Zero noise, stays cool. I wish i would have got a MOBO with Bluetooth built in though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i3-3225 Build0