WIP HTPC build for 1080p streaming, netflix and watching liveTV
Hi all,

I am in the process of building my first XBMC/Win7 HTPC to replace my TiVO. This thread will keep track (with updates) of the progress from picking out the parts all the way to assembly and setup. To begin, the list of the current idea I have for my HTPC and my requirements as well...

Requirements:
  • Must be silent & energy efficient
  • Stream 1080p movies from media server (including ripped blu-rays)
  • Bitstream DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER audio without the need for a dedicated GPU
  • No gaming will be done on this build
  • Able to watch liveTV from SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime as well as stream the record shows
  • Shouldn't cost more than $400

Components (3 different builds to choose from):

Intel Build
Quote:MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3
CPU: Core i3-3225
RAM: SAMSUNG MV-3V4G3/US
Case: Mini-Box M350 w/ picoPSU-150-XT and 150W
CPU Cooler: Scythe USA SCBSK-2100
OS HDD: ADATA AS599S-40GM-C

AMD Build
Quote:MoBo: ASRock FM2A75M-ITX
CPU: A6-5400K

Any help to begin this process would be greatly appreciated!

-Geran B
Intel Build

Some thought/potential issues. First, the picoPSU choice is overkill for this. You only need a picoPSU-90. The other issue with the picoPSU you've chosen is the power jack isn't compatible with the case so you'd have to drill some extra holes. Second, I would check the clearance on that heatsink/fan. It is 58mm tall but the whole case is only 62mm tall (so under 58mm inside). It's not going to fit. A nice low profile cooler for the M350 is the Dynatron T459 which is nice an quiet and does a good job. There is an alternative to the M350 that comes with the power supply already, this case here that you should check out. Third, with Windows 7, the minimum SSD size without having to spend a lot of time managing your data/installs is 64GB. The Crucial M4 64GB is usually found for a good price (~US$65).

For the other two choices, E-450 is not a great choice for Windows. It doesn't have the CPU power for non-GPU accelerated HD video. The A6-5400K is going to bake in that small case.

(2012-12-14, 16:46)Geran Wrote: Intel Build

AMD Build
Quote:MoBo: ASRock A75M-ITX
CPU: A6-5400K

-Geran B
One of the above build should work, and everything should fit in that case other than Scythe CPU cooler. It's too big and too tall for that case. You might limited to the "28mm 1U Slim Gelid" CPU cooler. picoPSU-150-XT is perfectly designed for that case too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-12-14, 18:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Some thought/potential issues. First, the picoPSU choice is overkill for this. You only need a picoPSU-90. The other issue with the picoPSU you've chosen is the power jack isn't compatible with the case so you'd have to drill some extra holes.
Interesting that there is an issue with that picoPSU because Mini-Box sells it as one of their kits. Also Mini-Box has a smaller PSU kit that maybe could work as well.

(2012-12-14, 18:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Second, I would check the clearance on that heatsink/fan. It is 58mm tall but the whole case is only 62mm tall (so under 58mm inside). It's not going to fit. A nice low profile cooler for the M350 is the Dynatron T459 which is nice an quiet and does a good job. There is an alternative to the M350 that comes with the power supply already, this case here that you should check out.
That's good to know my recommendation for the CPU cooler wouldn't work. I like your suggestion as well. As for the case you linked, would I need to upgrade the adapter compared to the base one (60w)? I like both cases but I would like to know which PSU and adapter I would need before making my final decision.

(2012-12-14, 18:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Third, with Windows 7, the minimum SSD size without having to spend a lot of time managing your data/installs is 64GB. The Crucial M4 64GB is usually found for a good price (~US$65).
Interesting because eskro recommends 30GB SSD for a Windows 7 XBMC...I'll look into the 64GB SSDs Smile

(2012-12-14, 18:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For the other two choices, E-450 is not a great choice for Windows. It doesn't have the CPU power for non-GPU accelerated HD video. The A6-5400K is going to bake in that small case.
Thank you for the advice. I'll remove those from the list Smile
(2012-12-14, 19:36)bluray Wrote: One of the above build should work, and everything should fit in that case other than Scythe CPU cooler. It's too big and too tall for that case. You might limited to the "28mm 1U Slim Gelid" CPU cooler. picoPSU-150-XT is perfectly designed for that case too....
Bluray,

Do you think I would be able to get away with the smaller PSU kit, if I was to undervolt/underclock the CPU on either of the two builds you suggested?

(2012-12-14, 19:37)Geran Wrote: Interesting that there is an issue with that picoPSU because Mini-Box sells it as one of their kits. Also Mini-Box has a smaller PSU kit that maybe could work as well.
You shouldn't have any issue with picoPSU-150-XT and 150W in that case. It's designed for it, and you do not have to drill anything. You can simply pop out the smaller ring to fit the 4-pin connector as you can see the photos below. If the price is not that much different, the 150W is a better option. You will not have to worry about not enough power to support the existing HTPC load and future updgrades....

(2012-12-14, 20:12)Geran Wrote:
(2012-12-14, 19:36)bluray Wrote: One of the above build should work, and everything should fit in that case other than Scythe CPU cooler. It's too big and too tall for that case. You might limited to the "28mm 1U Slim Gelid" CPU cooler. picoPSU-150-XT is perfectly designed for that case too....
Bluray,

Do you think I would be able to get away with the smaller PSU kit, if I was to undervolt/underclock the CPU on either of the two builds you suggested?
I don't like messing around with over/under volt the CPU. I preferred buying the correct kits from start.....

(2012-12-14, 20:18)bluray Wrote: You shouldn't have any issue with picoPSU-150-XT and 150W in that case. It's designed for it, and you do not have to drill anything. You can simply pop out the smaller ring to fit the 4-pin connector as you can see the photos below. If the price is not that much different, the 150W is a better option. You will not have to worry about not enough power to support the existing HTPC load and future updgrades....
The price difference between to them is around $35.
In my testing, the picoPSU-90 with the 90W AC adapter works fine for Sandy/Ivy Bridge Celeron/Pentium/i3 builds. Whether or not you want some overhead for future expansion (not in that case but perhaps moving it all to another case) is up to you, your budget, etc. For the build you've specified expect 30-40W in normal usage, 80W max. You don't need 150W but if you want it is up to you.
(2012-12-14, 21:13)Geran Wrote:
(2012-12-14, 20:18)bluray Wrote: You shouldn't have any issue with picoPSU-150-XT and 150W in that case. It's designed for it, and you do not have to drill anything. You can simply pop out the smaller ring to fit the 4-pin connector as you can see the photos below. If the price is not that much different, the 150W is a better option. You will not have to worry about not enough power to support the existing HTPC load and future updgrades....
The price difference between to them is around $35.
Isn't your budget in your 1st post included picoPSU-150-XT? Here is another option- picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC + M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure= $93......it's merely $8 cheaper than the 150W.....if it is me, I go with the 150W as the original plan and you can order it from the same place as a package......
(2012-12-14, 20:18)bluray Wrote: Isn't your budget in your 1st post included picoPSU-150-XT? Here is another option- picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC + M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure= $93......it's merely $8 cheaper than the 150W.....if it is me, I go with the 150W as the original plan and you can order it from the same place as a package......
My budget that is listed in my first post includes everything...I was just trying to save a little bit whenever I can Smile. Now just to decide on the Intel or AMD setup Rofl
If you get the picoPSU-120 you'll need a molex-to-P4 adapter since only the picoPSU-90, 150 and 160 come with one built in.

It's nice the M350 is 4-pin adapter compatible now. I just noticed that on the site now.
(2012-12-15, 04:49)Geran Wrote:
(2012-12-14, 20:18)bluray Wrote: Isn't your budget in your 1st post included picoPSU-150-XT? Here is another option- picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC + M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure= $93......it's merely $8 cheaper than the 150W.....if it is me, I go with the 150W as the original plan and you can order it from the same place as a package......
My budget that is listed in my first post includes everything...I was just trying to save a little bit whenever I can Smile. Now just to decide on the Intel or AMD setup Rofl
If your budget allow the Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge, it is your best choice....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC build for 1080p streaming, netflix and watching liveTV0