Problem: compilation artists on the list
Since I have started using beta builds and even now with RC1, my music library shows all artists. Even ones that are only in compilations. The option in settings is unchecked and this worked fine with Eden and nightly builds until Frodo beta. I have tried to cleanup the library, rescan it but nothing helps.

Any ideas?
Same here.

Compilations used to work perfectly with Eden, i.e. artists appearing only on compilations did not show up (related switch in music settings -> library deactivated)

Now, with Frodo RC 2 (Win7 x64) clean install, said switch deactivated:
  • artists list is messed up with all compilation artists
  • strange: compilations list contains all albums (same albums as in Album view). i.e. all albums are identified as compilations Huh
  • further: Compilations partially show up as several albums (see pics below)
I think my ID3 tags are maintained well: For compilation albums i always enter "Various Artists" in the album artist field of ID3, since i am using other players like foobar too.

This entry from the Wiki (-->Wikilink) also confused me somehow:
Quote:3. If any of the songs assigned to the Album name have an Album Artist tag, then XBMC assumes the user knows what they're doing, and this album is also ruled out from being a compilation.
So, this applies even if in the Album Artist tag the value "Various Artists" is entered? To my understanding this would be the natural way to tag compilations (<track artist> in Artist tag, "Various Artists" in Album Artists tag).
This rule contradicts with my understanding of the way how to tag compilations (or i got a knot in my brains) Huh

Pic 1 showing tagging of sample compilation album in foobar: Image

Pic 2 showing result in Frodo RC 2 album list: Image

any hint is appreciated.
Mike
Same for me >> XBMC Frodo latest nightly on ATV2 & Mac.

Music DB automatically updated from Eden library which correctly displayed my compilation albums when selected from the Music Library top menu so it's a safe assumption that music files are correctly tagged.

In Frodo, the Compilation option returns exactly the same list as the Albums option (both 941 items for me).

Is this bug linked to this TRAC http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13825 or do we need to raise a new issue?
Thanks for replies guys. I thought my problem was an isolated one but not anymore. It may be a but as the last two XBMC editions were working fine and just Frodo beta messed up the music library.
It's not related to that trac ticket, no. The most probable explanation is that XBMC is not detecting your albumartist value at all. This might be because it's a slightly non-standard use of one of the TPE fields that Eden used but Frodo doesn't.

We'll need a sample in either case - please open a ticket on trac, cc me and attach a sample file that shows this behaviour (one is enough).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

You can also enable maximum debug logging by setting <loglevel> to 3 in advancedsettings.xml (wiki)

I've got a commit going in that will very likely fix it, but a Debug Log as per above would be useful while going to "Song Information" for those songs.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Fix is in c909a29bd4313ce59979069fc25b0f89e36506a9. Try tonights nightly.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jonathan, seems you already pinpointed the issue.

Line from debug.log (info on affected mp3 song):
Code:
02:47:15 T:4172   DEBUG: unrecognized user text tag detected: TXXX:ALBUM ARTIST

let me know if you still need full debug log, sample files,..otherwise i will give the nightly a try and provide feedback.

Thanks! Looks promising. Smile

cheers,
Mike
Yup, the fix will do the trick. Thanks for the confirmation.

Nightly XBMCSetup-20121230-e475404-master tested --> Problem fixed! Thanks!
All compilation artists are neatly sorted under Various Artists now. No fragmented compilation albums anymore.

The entry "Compilations" from the Music Library view is not there anymore however.
Not sure whether it's a bug or a feature though, since i can still find my compilations in "Albums" view with artist = "Various Artists".

cheers,
Mike
What did you guys do to fix it besides installing latest nightly build? I have tried to clean up library and update library but I still have individual artists on the list.
You have to remove the source and tell out to clear out the library when prompted.

Well, it did not work for me. I have removed the source, removed all items from library and added it again. After scanning the library for 20 minutes I still see individual artists on the list.
Me neither - I'm just raising the ticket now! http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13881

Updated to latest nightly, removed the source and re-scanned the entire folder to the library. Compilations are available under Artist >> Various Artists but NOT by choosing 'Compilations' from the Music Library top menu - instead this still lists every album artist as before.
That is a different fault. The compilations agree detected correctly, they just don't show up in the compilations node, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem: compilation artists on the list0