DXVA - Green screen on certain MPEG2 MKV/VOBS on AMD Radeon
Hi,

I've read a few times in the forums about folks having issues with DXVA etc. In almost all cases these are down to
the drivers and not XBMC, and the fault I am reporting is exactly the same ie. its a hardware/driver issue.

There appears to be a problem with the way AMD Radeon derivatives current prcess MPEG2 when certain
color primaries are used with specific transfer characteristics. These being :

Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
Transfer characteristics : BT.470 System B, BT.470 System G
Matrix coefficients : BT.601

NOTE: This issue does not affect all MPEG2 files , only those with these particular properties. In fact all the NTSC
based stuff works perfectly and some PAL.

From my understanding BT.601 PAL with BT.470 System G is the combination causing the problem. I think the
combo is treated as BT.701 by windows resulting in the odd green screen behaviour.

I'm going to try raising a ticket with AMD to see if someone there can suggest something to resolove this quirk.
However i thougth I would post here to let folks know about the issue and in the outside chance that anyone might
know a reg hack on here to stop MPEG 2 stuff being offered up to DXVA as a hardware supported format.

Any else seeing this problem ?
--

FYI tested on range of AMD Radeon chips/ AMD motherboards.
All of the above said , MPC-HC and VLC do not show the Green Screen with the same MPEG2 files when DXVA is enabled.

I might raise this as a bug with the XBMC team afterall.
Try this
Get into Catalyst, and on Video tab, check that video colors are managed BY THE PLAYER instead of by the AMD card.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
Hi vicmanpergar,

its the first thing I check, so it is currently set to use application settings. It does seem to be particularly tied to
MPEG2 files , that conform to the criteria above.

Windows Media Player , VLC , MPC-HC , WMC all play them back fine. Just XBMC seems to have the problem.
It was worth trying, i've seen lot of similar issues solved that way.
HTPC
Silverstone Grandia GD05 - Intel i5 3570k -Asus H61M-G Micro-ATX - Unidad Blu-ray
MSI GTX970 4GB GDDR5 - 8 GB RAM DDR3 - AVR Denon X3400H Atmos - LG  OLED 55C7V
Sadly in this case it didnt work. It does seem to be specfic to PAL MPEG2 files and only XBMC seems to suffer from it.

Switch to software decoding ... all good , back to DXVA most MPEG2 plays fine , except those with the transfer characteristics above.

It seems to be unique to how XBMC is treating these, given every other player I test plays them fine.

Can anyone offer a solution ?
I encountered this same issue recently when I bought some old TV shows on DVD, ripped them with MakeMKV and tried to play them in XBMC.

There is a program called aTube Catcher. It's free and works well for doing screen grabs and DVD/BluRay creator. In the program you'll find a very good video converter so you can convert any file to whatever video format you want. I used it and now I don't get the green screen anymore.

http://atube-catcher.dsnetwb.com/video/

Not a sollution, but a good way around the problem.Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DXVA - Green screen on certain MPEG2 MKV/VOBS on AMD Radeon0