XBMCRemote can't wake display
Remote: "Official XBMC Remote" by joethefox
XBMC: XBMC 11.0 Stable

Issue: During music play, display eventually goes black - after a period of just being dimmed. Pressing buttons on the remote won't wake the display although the signals are received and processed (such as changing tracks or putting on a movie) but I still don't get a picture. I have to move the mouse.

Expected result: Pressing a button on the remote should wake the display.
Hello!
that's strange due the fact I've just tested with eden on ubuntu 12.10 and pressing a button on the remote has waked the display.

When you have a chance, could you test this behaviour with the latest frodo rc2?
Hi! Wasn't expecting you LOL. I forgot to mention that I'm using the iOS version but you probably knew.

I'll go find frodo rc2 and test it (or perhaps find someone in the G+ community who already has it to do it).

In the mean time, the issue I reported was when XBMC is the session manager. Now I'm using Unity and I can't reproduce so leave it with me and I'll get back with more info. Thanks!
Okay, this is the scene: Logged in with Unity window manager, the display dims but never puts the display into standby mode. The remote can 'undim' the display at any time. Perfect.

Under the XBMC window manager (chosen at the LightDM login screen) the display is actually put into standby mode (the LED goes from green to orange) and the remote cannot wake it up again, although it still operates XBMC well.

Could you verify that you can't reproduce the above?
Sure! but I've to install and configure lightDM on my side due the fact I'm using the ubuntu server minimal (no login managers). My hope is that with frodo your issue will vanish, some work has been done on this side a couple of months ago https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/663a...925b47c7e2
Apologies - I thought I had email notifications setup by default.

Okay, I'm not in a position to upgrade at the moment (bandwidth & time issues) - but I can no longer reproduce the above bug because now the display never dims! I did enable a 'universal' scraper for artists in the settings which I believe resulted in a plugin or add-on being installed. I can undo this and will check back. I will also ask on G+ community if anyone else has this issue with the remote.
Okay, I can't reproduce and I didn't get anyone on G+ with the same remote app on iOS & Eden. Sorry for wasting your time, but I didn't realise that this issue would just stop happening. Next time I'll debug better before adding plugins!
Hope it's ok to revive this thread given it's over a year old but I'm having this problem at the moment.

I've been using XBMC on windows mostly until now (I wanted to try it out on linux). I ended up trying out XBMCBuntu first and that went well except when my screen turned off, I could not wake XBMC using just my media centre remote. It was registering the commands and navigating folders etc. but the screen wouldn't come back (dimming was fine just screen off not so good). A quick flick of my mouse woke the screen but none of the buttons worked on the remote for this purpose.

This was a recent version of XBMC (frodo 12.2).

Anyways I was having problems setting up MythTV also and some members said to start with that first instead so I installed MythBuntu and then grabbed the latest XBMC using apt-get and the xbmc stable source (again Frodo 12.2). Turns out the same thing is happening again Sad

If there's any logging I can check or turn on please let me know. XBMC on linux is really good but I just need to get past this issue.

This is on an AMD E-350 system with one of the windows media centre remotes and it's connected to a Samsung LCD TV.
Is anyone able to help me with this or at least point me in the right direction please?
Well I've decided to try and solve this myself and had mixed results.

Firstly I found out how to bring my display back from the dead via ssh in from another machine.
> xset dpms force on

(initially I had ... xset: unable to open display "" ... coming back but ... export DISPLAY=:0 ... fixed that).

So I had the command to wake up the screen at least, then I figured I'd try to make one of the buttons from the remote run this command using System.Exec().

I decided on using the big centre button with windows logo on it. Turned on debugging and saw the KEY_HOME command was coming through. The Lircmap.xml file was turning this into "Start" so I added a remote.xml to Keymap with this key and the exec command.

At least the command was coming through but XBMC was getting minimised.

Might try wrapping this in a python script somehow and see if I can use RunScript instead. The only other option is perhaps using the advanced launcher add-on or I might go back to windows and try to fix my codec issues instead...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCRemote can't wake display0