• 1(current)
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu
I'm surprised I haven't found anybody trying to get this remote working on XBMCbunbu:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...te_Control

Or the newest iteration here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Access...ediaRemote

I have one of the first official Microsoft MCE remotes and receivers, and it is very close to the end of it's life, as it has been dropped a lot, but it still is the best remote I've ever used for XBMCbuntu.

I've seen that the XBOX 360 Media remote has similar learning functions, allowing me to stick to my current single remote setup, and keep it as simple as possible for my wife.

Any quick ways to get it working properly with an official MCE receiver in XBMCbuntu?

Mini-ITX HTPC: Zotac IONITX-A (GF9400), Mini-Box M350, 2x512MB DDR2-533, 160GB 2.5" HD, XBMC Live 10.1, 20W/30W (Idle/Max)
Media Server: 2x2GB DDR2-800, 6x2TB WD20EARS, FreeNAS 8.0.1-RC1
If you promise not to make fun of my scripting skills (lack of) Smile

This is a bash script and it must be run as root.

http://pastebin.com/TWuBCtJR (pastebin sitcks a bunch of carriage returns into the script and messed it up)

This should be better http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/2230

when asked type in the name of your xbmc user

It will create 4 files and back them up if they already exist.

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf
/home/"$user"/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml
/home/"$user"/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml

reboot and this wonderful remote should be working

EDIT: I guess you meant a different remote (media remote). Guess I cant read Sad
This is the one I made the script for.

Cant beat $16
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Universal...B000B6MLSM

I would assume that the remotes would have the same basic keymap to control the Xbox 360. I returned the one I picked up to FutureShop as it didn't work out of the box. But I may go pick one up again and try your keymap.

Thanks.
Mini-ITX HTPC: Zotac IONITX-A (GF9400), Mini-Box M350, 2x512MB DDR2-533, 160GB 2.5" HD, XBMC Live 10.1, 20W/30W (Idle/Max)
(2013-01-05, 09:51)HwyXingFrog Wrote: I would assume that the remotes would have the same basic keymap to control the Xbox 360. I returned the one I picked up to FutureShop as it didn't work out of the box. But I may go pick one up again and try your keymap.

Thanks.

The media remote works with my Xbox-360 Universal remote files.

A few things I dont like about the media remote.
1. No Stop button (I modded the config to use the record button as stop)
2. No Eject Button
3. No Backlight
4. Feels kinda small

Picture of the Xbox-360 Media Remote

Edit: This script will work out of the box with a standard (K)Ubuntu install. It will install Lirc if not already installed.
(2013-01-16, 03:50)FishOil Wrote:
(2013-01-05, 09:51)HwyXingFrog Wrote: I would assume that the remotes would have the same basic keymap to control the Xbox 360. I returned the one I picked up to FutureShop as it didn't work out of the box. But I may go pick one up again and try your keymap.

Thanks.

2. No Eject Button
3. No Backlight
4. Feels kinda small

I didn't even notice the lack of the stop button, and I would definitely miss the backlight. So, the old version has a backlight?
I will definitely have to pick one up before they are extinct.
(2013-01-16, 13:35)HwyXingFrog Wrote:
(2013-01-16, 03:50)FishOil Wrote:

Thanks.

2. No Eject Button
3. No Backlight
4. Feels kinda small

I didn't even notice the lack of the stop button, and I would definitely miss the backlight. So, the old version has a backlight?
I will definitely have to pick one up before they are extinct.
Yes, the two that I own have backlights. Have a look at this video to see the back light http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS0HrfXxLSM
Stop button is not a real huge deal as you can map the record button to stop.
I really do prefer the ones that I have.
OK, so the next question I have is this, does the XBOX 360 remote you have do any learning functionality.

This is the remote I'm currently using: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...te_Control
I have the one with the learning capability. And you can't find them ANYWHERE, they are completely extinct. There are knockoffs, but they aren't the same and don't have the learning functionality. If I could find some of them, I would buy 10 in a second. Mine is so beat up, I have tape holding it together.

I currently have these programmed, and it does everything I need to be my only remote control:
- TV Power - Turns TV on/off
- Volume - Adjusts Volume on my Amplifier

The Backlight on that 360 remote looks awesome, but if I can't control my Amp volume directly with the remote, it is still a complete no go for me.

If the 360 remote can't control my TV's power and my Amp's volume, might have to just go with a Logitech Harmony 200, it seems like the only one that can give me most of what I want, without having a crazy amount of extra buttons.
It will only control two devices. TV and XBMC. When configured for both you lose the volume and power control for XBMC, It will only adjust the TV volume and power.
I have the TV function disabled so I retain full control for XBMC.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I just keep the amp maxed out and control volume only within XBMC. But that sucks if you switch to passthrough optical output. Gotta turn down the amp first. Oh well, I make do.

That 200 looks nice.
Yeah, I've been using the Microsoft MCE remote for at least 5 years now, and it has really taken a beating. Had to put it back together a few times after being dropped. I should have bought more then, because it is definitely the best HTPC remote I've ever had. The learning functionality was the perfect addition.

It looks like the Logitech one is almost everything I need.
Thanks a lot, been following loads of guides, pulling my hair out. This bash script worked a treat!
Will this script work with a wireless xbox 360 controller receiver? or does it require a mce receiver?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure it would need an MCE receiver, as the remote uses InfraRed (IR), and the gaming controller uses RadioFrequency (RF)
I hope you two don't mind me jumping in on this. I've been using XBMC on my Xbox for 9 years now. Ive now made the switch over to XBMCbunto Frodo on a Acer Revo 3610. The hardest part was convincing my wife. Big Grin She hates the MCE remote that I set it up with though. I do have laying around an Intec version of the Xbox 360 Media remote (you know, the white long one) its identical to the one picture on the original post. She would love to use that remote. This bash script thing is what I think I need. Can one of you walk me through the steps. I have no idea what a bash is or more importantly how I would run it.

this is the remote I'm using now. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...for_Ubuntu
(2013-03-11, 22:46)bbkmods Wrote: I hope you two don't mind me jumping in on this. I've been using XBMC on my Xbox for 9 years now. Ive now made the switch over to XBMCbunto Frodo on a Acer Revo 3610. The hardest part was convincing my wife. Big Grin She hates the MCE remote that I set it up with though. I do have laying around an Intec version of the Xbox 360 Media remote (you know, the white long one) its identical to the one picture on the original post. She would love to use that remote. This bash script thing is what I think I need. Can one of you walk me through the steps. I have no idea what a bash is or more importantly how I would run it.

this is the remote I'm using now. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...for_Ubuntu

Why not use your old XBOX DVD remote, all you would need is a $3 xbox-> usb adaptor. If you configure it that way you can maintain the same controls you have on the xbox.

Just buy one of these usb -> remote adapters. There are many variations online, just find one you like. You can even build your own if you're good with a soldering iron.

I wrote a guide on how to get the remote working with the latest XBMCBuntu (frodo) - you can find it here

Good luck!
Like my post? please up my reputation, it faced the wrath of X3lectric over this post
[HOW-TO][FRODO] Configure XBOX 360 Wireless Controller
[HOW-TO][Frodo] XBOX DVD Remote/Dongle
I hope you two don't mind me jumping in on this. I've been using XBMC on my Xbox for 9 years now. Ive now made the switch over to XBMCbunto Frodo on a Acer Revo 3610. The hardest part was convincing my wife. Big Grin She hates the remote that I set it up with though. I have the Intec version of the Xbox 360 Media remote (you know, the white long one) its identical to the one picture on the original post. This bash script thing is what I think I need. Can one of you walk me through the steps. I have no idea what a bash is or more importantly how I would run it.) its identical to the one picture on the original post. This bash script thing is what I think I need. Can one of you walk me through the steps. I have no idea what a bash is or more importantly how I would run it.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBOX 360 Media Remote on XBMCbuntu3