Why mix Plex and XBMC?
Hi

I just started my media center project and, among many options, I found XBMC (which I already use as HTPC with a single TV set) and Plex.

My project is intended to be a multiroom solution in the end.

As far as I could see, Plex works great as a media server for the whole house, but integrates to XBMC just as an addon. I say "just" becouse it's not integrated to the XBMC library, working as a separate module.

My question is, thinking of a brand new home project, if using Plex+XBMC is better than just sharing the files through local network so XBMC can see them. So far, unless someone already has Plex as a solution, using XBMC alone seems to be enough.

Hints, tips, suggestions and (of course) corrections to my still limited point of view are welcome.

J
XBMC does have media sharing via UPNP sharing. 2 things to consider though if using XBMC UPNP sharing. 1. XBMC doesn't do transcoding so the UPNP clients streaming from XBMC have to natively support it. 2. XBMC has to be opened for it to over UPNP sharing as there's no separate background service that will run to offer the XBMC library to UPNP clients. If you absolutely need transcoding or a background service, you can run Plex or other solutions such as TVersity.
If you want a unified library across multiple clients but don't want to use MySQL, Plex server with XBMC running Plexbmc is one way to do it, though you wouldn't be using the XBMC library at all. Depending on the skin and/or the remote you use you can make it feel just like you are using the native library. Personally I don't care too much about having watched status, etc synced up, and each of XBMC clients gets the library updated by Sickbeard/CouchPotato anyway, so I just use the native library but I still use Plex server for when I'm on the road.
I decided for XBMC for every XBMC places in home with MySQL sharing because I want have library on NAS (it is not possible with XBMC UPnP sharing now because there is no XBMC server or XBMC light headless version).

For outside usage Plex is interesting possibility thanks for transcoding and many clients app. Plex Media Server could read XBMC library metadata from NFO files that XBMC could generate to folders with each movie or music.

For outside usage on android devices there is also very interesting possibility with BubbleUPnP Server that take library and content from any UPnP/DLNA server in home (also from XBMC UPnP). BubbleUPnP Server has transcoding feature and BubbleUPnP app for android can full control transcoding on BubbleUPnP Server and play content on any android player (VLC, BSPlayer, MX Player, Mobo Player, ....). If you need only android on the road and you have XBMC library at home, BubbleUPNP is better solution than Plex in my opinion.

(2013-01-05, 11:45)PV_XBMC Wrote: BubbleUPNP is better solution than Plex in my opinion.

Can you expand on that? Can't see what advantage it has myself Huh
(2013-01-05, 14:33)jack0w Wrote:
(2013-01-05, 11:45)PV_XBMC Wrote: BubbleUPNP is better solution than Plex in my opinion.

Can you expand on that? Can't see what advantage it has myself Huh

In my statement was condition "if you have XBMC library at home...". In this case the biggest advantage for me is sharing XBMC library without necessity to generate NFO files from XBMC every time when I add some content to my NAS.

In BubbleUPnP for android I could play more type of files (for example VOB) than in Plex for Android. It is thanks to possibility choose content player in BubbleUPnP (VLC, BSPlayer, MXPlayer, MoBo Player,...).

The other way around, I like Plex for clients app for many OS, TV, and so on.
I was a complete XBMC fan and user until recently where my media was on a USB drive and I had only one TV / location to watch.

Now I have to feed several rooms and sometimes I like to watch on iphone or ipad some talk shows. This has made me to go Plex.

Even if you don't use iOS devices, I found out that having a network in a house is not that straight forward. For example a file that has an average bitrate of 8 Mbit/s can actually go as high as 80 Mbit/s in some places which even with wired dlans in my place gives stutters. Anything that goes higher than 25 Mbit/s stutters here.

So I never thought that I would have that kind of problems. Transcoding is even necessary if I use my main HTPC just because of my network speed.

I think XBMC has to change. Things are changing rapidly and time of watching your media on one TV is over. We need transcoding and an easy centralized database for XBMC just like Plex.
PV_XBMC - Thanks, I see where you're coming from now. Personally I'm using both XBMC and Plex, just for different purposes. XBMC for HTPC playback and Plex for Android devices which need transcoding.

As I create NFOs for my media anyway, I've not really found it a problem running both. I don't have synced watched status between the two, which don't get me wrong would be nice to have - I just don't find it essential.

May have to give BubbleUPnP a try now, if nothing else just so can give it a whirl. Thanks for the info :-)

Zodler - Not sure why you have problems with stuttering on your wired LAN when using XBMC - I've never experienced this. What speed is your network?
its dLan not Lan.
http://www.devolo.com/consumer/90_dlan-5....html?l=en

and in reality anything over 35 Mbits/s stutters in my dLAN config. So I have seen some files go way as up as 90 Mbit/s in some scenes.
Apologies, thought that was a typo. Didn't realise there was a product called that! :-P
Guys I'm curious about your networks. Do you all have hardwired Ethernet cables going from your NAS to several rooms? Don't you have any bandwidth problems with an XBMC only solution?
Yes, two drops per room in fact. The media room has four drops, one on each wall.
(2013-01-07, 00:59)Zodler Wrote: Guys I'm curious about your networks. Do you all have hardwired Ethernet cables going from your NAS to several rooms? Don't you have any bandwidth problems with an XBMC only solution?

For the most part, I'm running an N-wireless connection with a 100mbps line connecting the server. The only stutter I've ever had was because my server can get stupid occasionally a need a reboot.
i run gigabit switches, and have had 4 htpcs in different rooms streaming 720 content from a central server with no issues. i think at one point i had 2 of the htpcs on a 10/100 switch and they were ok as well.

sounds like you dont have the line bandwidth, or there are a ton of collisions or routing issues on your network.

on a side note, i use mysql and a network share for syncing profile stuff and i use subsonic to stream to my android devices. i like it cause i can save offline music, and change the video stream bitrate on the fly.
Thank you for the replies, guys.
I'll take a look at BubbleUPNP, which is completely new to me.
I also enjoyed the evolution of this topic, since I have curiosity on how people build their home networks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why mix Plex and XBMC?0