Ubuntu 12.10 Autostart XBMC (Wait! This one is different!)
I think I have read all of the threads here about how to autostart xbmc with the ubuntu minimal installation, but I want to keep a full installation. I want to be able to exit xbmc and have the desktop there. It seems that everyone suggests doing this with xinit and bypassing the WM, which is not what I want to do.

Is there a way to have XBMC autostart and keep all the desktop stuff? You know, like if I start XBMC manually after my machine has booted up. I tried adding /use/bin/xbmc (plus a few different options, none of which worked) to the startup programs, and xbmc would indeed start, but the unity launcher would still show up, or else the launcher AND the top desktop menu. I was hoping to have it running full-screen, just like when I run it manually.

Any suggestions?

Skip
Maybe you can try to add an XBMC Desktop Entry into the autostart directory of the user :

~/.config/autostart/XBMC.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=XBMC
Comment=This session will start XBMC Media Center
Exec=xbmc-standalone
TryExec=xbmc-standalone
Type=Application
this one is not different Wink
hint: search for lightdm
Compiz + xbmc don't play nice together. If you want xbmc on a full desktop try a DE that doesn't use compiz (I like xfce) and add xbmc to start up applications.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 12.10 Autostart XBMC (Wait! This one is different!)0