Solved Revo audio output in Frodo
Hello,

I've just installed RC3 on my Revo 3610 but can't seem to get audio out via hdmi. There are numerous threads about using custo audio outputs in Eden but this option doesn't seem to be available in Frodo. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
What OS and what version of alsa (cat /proc/asound/version) and what audio devices are available?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm running a fresh install of xbmcbuntu with v.1.0.25 of alsa. Here are my audio devices:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
What choices do you have in the xbmc settings thing?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Audio output device:
HDA Nvidia, HDMI
HDA Nvidia (hdmi_complete) HDMI
HDA Nvidia (hdmi_formatted) HDMI
HDA Nvidia (multi) HDMI 0
HDA Nvidia (both) HDMI 0
Plus a analog and s/pdif option

Passthrough:
HDA Nvidia, HDMI
HDA Nvidia (hdmi_complete) HDMI
HDA Nvidia (hdmi_formatted) HDMI
Plus a analog and s/pdif option

No custom options.
You dont need custom options (nor will you get them in Frodo) I have a ION gen 1 and via HDMI its.

Audio Output : HDMI
Speaker Configuration : no
Boost volume level on downmix : No
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver : no
DTS capable receiver : no
Audio output device : HDA NVidia HDMI 0
Passthrough output device : HDA NVidia HDMI 0

And obviously unmute alsamixer spdif 1

It should just work though I note I have 304.64 Nvidia drivers (fromxswat ppa) and Ubuntu minimal 12.04 no window managers.
Thanks for your time uNiversal, think the problem was a muted spdif 1 in alsamixer.
Excellent, thats why I mentioned unmuting.

Ideally ppl would check the wiki since all these HDMI "issues" and audio "issues" are generally covered there.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...nd_in_XBMC

Please mark this thread as solved so it can be easily indexed

Edit
To mark solved (full edit your first post) and modify the left drop down menu select Solved

uNi.

(2013-01-06, 17:51)1981suede Wrote: Thanks for your time uNiversal, think the problem was a muted spdif 1 in alsamixer.

This is the first time I have seen the "unmute in alsamixer" advice actually help! Nice!
@negge

I have "resolved" most support queries about HDMI sound not working with this advice alone, hence why I wacked it on wiki Wink

uNi
(2013-01-06, 18:42)uNiversal Wrote: @negge

I have "resolved" most support queries about HDMI sound not working with this advice alone, hence why I wacked it on wiki Wink

uNi

I would suggest that the XBMCbuntu maintainers add some kind of script on startup that unmutes all SPDIF outputs. There is no reason for them to be muted, ever, even if they remained unused. It's ridiculous that an end-user has to do stuff like this just to get a custom-made distribution work as intended.
It is odd that it defaults to muted, don't think I've fiddled with alsa since the first xbmc install on dharma. I guess the whole audio system has been rewritten. Still, all is well that ends well. Thanks again!
(2013-01-06, 18:52)negge Wrote:
(2013-01-06, 18:42)uNiversal Wrote: @negge

uNi

I would suggest that the XBMCbuntu maintainers add some kind of script on startup that unmutes all SPDIF outputs. There is no reason for them to be muted, ever, even if they remained unused. It's ridiculous that an end-user has to do stuff like this just to get a custom-made distribution work as intended.

Great idea Big Grin

Feel free to ping a moderator so that the appropriate developer is aware for at least RC4. ranting™ wont solve this. Wink

uNi

I don't know who is responsible for it.
pick a moderator and pm and ask for the xbmcbuntu devs to be notified of this thread and more specific the unmute spdif 1 or whatever you feel should be unmuted along with that.

artrafael comes to mind as the most helpful and competent mod around

Lcapriotti is one of XBMCbuntu devs...

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo audio output in Frodo0