Solved [XBMCBuntu] Frodo - Random playback hickups on Shuttle XS35GTV2
(2013-02-25, 01:49)phunkyfish Wrote:
(2013-01-14, 15:09)zaphod42 Wrote: Hi!

Good to here, that this workes for you.
Unfortunately, this does not cure the problem on the Shuttle XS35GT V1. That's why I've choosen the XBMCLive way and compiled Frodo on top of that.

Cheers,
Zap

Zaphod, are you saying that your shuttle works on all ion cores using this method? If so so then you've proved it's the nvidia driver and not the shuttle. Would you agree FernetMenta?

I wonder has anyone tried this on an XS35GTV2. Or maybe I'll give it a go.

Since I had no single framedrop when running Frodo on XBMCLive, I think that my shuttle has used all ion cores. Meanwhile, the Shuttle is running Win 8 Pro (used the upgrade offering from MS with an unused Vista licence) and I'm pretty satisfied with the performance.

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
(2013-02-25, 19:19)Kibje Wrote: As far as I know the 310 Nvidia drivers have fixed the powermizer issue, but do correct me if I am wrong.
My shuttle currently will play everything I throw at it (FullHD 24p /w 5.1 surround sound streamed is no issue at all) and runs all skins quite fast.

If that is true, I would like to give Linux another try on my shuttle... although it's running quite well with Win 8 actually, but I have no HD Audio Bitstreaming with Windows. My last test with XBMCBuntu Frodo shows that I had HD Audio bitstreaming even with the ION chip... but not with XBMCLive...

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
Yes, to clarify: I can do bitstreaming of every format my AV-Receiver supports (I believe multichannel PCM is the only thing disabled) on my Shuttle XS35GTv2

I truly believe the issue is with the nvidia drivers between about 295 and 310.
Well, this seems to be good news. I will try it out again with XBMCBuntu and the new nvidia driver as soon as I have some spare time for it... Wink

Cheers,
Zap
I have in the meantime verified with FernetMenta that the "powermizer issue" is still in the system.
I had some issue understanding what was meant with this, because every google search points back to a thread at the XBMC forum where people complain about the issue but never explain what it is.

It is not possible to force the GPU to go to performance mode 2.
The GPU will go up to performance mode 1, not higher.
Ok, but what exactly does that mean at the end of the day?

You wrote, that you can play 1080p24 perfectly without dropping frames. So, if this is true, then I would not care about performance mode 1 or 2. As long as the Shuttle does what it is supposed to do... Wink

Or did you notice some stuttering and frame drops in the meantime?

Cheers,
Zap
Sorry for the long wait.
With performance mode 2 the XS35GTv2 can do 1080p60 and it would have more overhead when playing 1080p24.

(I can see that one or two frames are being dropped when animating skin elements over running video, that would probably be gone.)
Well, to be honest, I would not care about framedrops when overlaying GUI elements (OSD menu etc.), as long as the video will not get choppy while watching it.

Anyway, I switched to Windows because I didn't get it managed, to have smooth and judder free 1080p24 video playback when using Frodo XBMCBuntu (never tried OpenElec).

Cheers,
Zap
Hi all,

I've been following this problem for a while now since it's preventing me from upgrading my v2 to anything past Dharma. Just this week I tried again with xbmc 12.1 as well as Openelec 3. While openelec 3 did yield less glitches, it's still enough to notice. This problem frustrates me to no end. I love this machine, I'm just stuck dharma.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as Kibje was, in that I'm not quite clear about the problem. Is the issue only with XBMC linux installs on the GTv2? Am I reading this correctly that there are no problems with video playback using windows? I'm hooked directly to my living room TV, so HD audio passthrough is not an issue for me. If switching to windows solves this glitchy playback, I'll consider switching.

Does this issue affect only shuttle ION 2 devices?

I love the STB feel of the linux versions. I know windows can be made to be similar, but it's just not the same =). Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations on fanless devices similar to the shuttle that I could switch to? Zaphod, I see you have the Arctic MC001-N. How do you like it as compared to the shuttle?

Thanks!
Just tot be totally clear, I do not experience this problem, possibly because I use an AVR and there is no need to downmix the audio in my setup.

My system runs fine without choppiness.
sorry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCBuntu] Frodo - Random playback hickups on Shuttle XS35GTV20