Do you make use of movie sets? Why or why not?
I totally understand that movie sets would be useful for something like James Bond, where the titles are numerous and would show up all over the place.

However, for something like the LOTR trilogy or Star Wars or the Toy Story Trilogy, I can't decide whether I like them grouped, or just displayed normally.

What are your thoughts? Do you like grouping all series and sequels, or just very large collections? What are some examples?
I never used to use them until i had stuff like james bond where there all over the place.

I would like a GUI way to choose whether a film is in a set, ie james bonds would be, but say saw, saw2 saw3 etc wouldnt be.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
(2013-01-18, 20:17)matt77303 Wrote: I never used to use them until i had stuff like james bond where there all over the place.

I would like a GUI way to choose whether a film is in a set, ie james bonds would be, but say saw, saw2 saw3 etc wouldnt be.

Matt

Well, you can. At least, this is in Aeon Nox. I'm not sure if the same options exist in default skins.
In Aeon Nox, highlight the set, press C (for context menu) and choose "remove from library".
When it says "are you sure you want to remove the collection?" choose yes.
Then it will ask you if you want to remove each of the films in the set. Choose No for each of these.

And there you have it. Set gone, but movies remain.
Standard behaviour - for those brave enough to press "Y" to remove from library
Noli illegitimi carborundum

I'm using sets, as themoviedb lists as boxed sets, and letting the scraper do the effort. I do have to prune the singles out, otherwise it's a bit confusing calling a single a set (until it's a genuine set and for me that's at least 3 movies). In Past, I've made sets based on "director, awards, actor etc..) only to find scatterings all over that spin up sleeping drives and slowing down the cover flow. Now I have a drive dedicated the larger boxed sets and have started to dismantle organization of sets that are NOT boxed as listed, and I'm starting to rely on smartplaylists (directors, type, res, B&W) , tags (for Award winners, Oscars, or Blockbusters etc) and just getting into custom nodes (anime, disney, documentaries, TV movies etc.).

Maintaining a large cookie jar can gobble up more viewing time than one wishes... and ever so often something comes along to toss all the cookies in the air.

There I've tossed my cookies again Smile
(2013-01-18, 20:20)salamanderxande Wrote:
(2013-01-18, 20:17)matt77303 Wrote: I never used to use them until i had stuff like james bond where there all over the place.

Matt

Well, you can. At least, this is in Aeon Nox. I'm not sure if the same options exist in default skins.
In Aeon Nox, highlight the set, press C (for context menu) and choose "remove from library".
When it says "are you sure you want to remove the collection?" choose yes.
Then it will ask you if you want to remove each of the films in the set. Choose No for each of these.

And there you have it. Set gone, but movies remain.

That i didnt know, +1 for you.

Thanks very much.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
If I could automatically get all movies that I have in a set now, to be chronological order without being in a set I would possibly remove the set.

For example the LOTR films should be in this order:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Because of how they are named they are in this order:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

For me that is totally unacceptable. I can either rename all the sort orders in the .nfo for all movies in sets (which I don't fancy doing) or keep the existing sets and order the set content by year.

(2013-01-18, 20:10)salamanderxande Wrote: ...What are your thoughts? Do you like grouping all series and sequels, or just very large collections? What are some examples?
Grouping all series and sequels is my preference. I am using Eden with Confluence theme in 'Media Info 2' view so sets lessen vertical scrolling. Whether it's just sequels, trilogies, or large series it's a plus for me.

ex:
  • AVP Collection
  • Children of the Corn Collection
  • Stand Up Collections
    • Chris Rock
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Kevin Hart
  • The Dark Knight Collection
  • DC Universe Animated Original Movies
  • The Expendables Collection
  • Hatchet Collection
  • Mad Max Collection
  • The Matrix Collection
  • Millennium Series
  • Wrong Turn Collection
  • etc.

Also, it allows me to view series chronologically that do not alphabetically sort that way.
i.e.

(2013-01-18, 23:54)T800 Wrote: If I could automatically get all movies that I have in a set now, to be chronological order without being in a set I would possibly
As mentioned above, this is one of the reasons I use sets. If the sort could be done chronologically without sets I suppose that would make the people happy who would rather click less.

Quote:...
For me that is totally unacceptable. I can either rename all the sort orders in the .nfo for all movies in sets (which I don't fancy doing) or keep the existing sets and order the set content by year.
What do have create your NFOs?
For you guys that are struggling with chronological order. Add/Edit this in your movies '.nfo's

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Fellowship of the Ring</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 4</sorttitle>
    <
set>Peter Jackson's Middle Earth</set> 

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Two Towers</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 5</sorttitle>
    <

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Return of the King</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 6</sorttitle>
    <

The key line/tag are '<set>' and '<sorttitle>'. Add them and then refresh/rescrape the moives into your library. Make sure to tell XBMC to make use of 'Local stored data'.

Hell as long as you have '<sorttitle>' you don't even need '<set>' at all. But it is nice if a skin can make use of them.

Side note. I have my LoftR movies sorted as 'Middle Earth' 4,5,6 due the new Hobbit movies that are coming and they will be grouped up as part of this set. You can make them 'Middle Earth' 1,2,3 if you wish.
(2013-01-19, 23:31)squareatom Wrote:
(2013-01-18, 20:10)salamanderxande Wrote: ...What are your thoughts? Do you like grouping all series and sequels, or just very large collections? What are some examples?
Grouping all series and sequels is my preference. I am using Eden with Confluence theme in 'Media Info 2' view so sets lessen vertical scrolling. Whether it's just sequels, trilogies, or large series it's a plus for me.

ex:
  • AVP Collection
  • Children of the Corn Collection
  • Stand Up Collections
    • Chris Rock
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Kevin Hart
  • The Expendables Collection
  • Hatchet Collection
  • Mad Max Collection
  • The Matrix Collection
  • Millennium Series
  • Wrong Turn Collection
  • etc.

Also, it allows me to view series chronologically that do not alphabetically sort that way.
i.e.

(2013-01-18, 23:54)T800 Wrote: If I could automatically get all movies that I have in a set now, to be chronological order without being in a set I would possibly
As mentioned above, this is one of the reasons I use sets. If the sort could be done chronologically without sets I suppose that would make the people happy who would rather click less.

Quote:...
What do have create your NFOs?

Ember Media Manager did most of the. nfo's. ViMediaManager did the rest.
Does anyone know where movieset poster and fanart information is stored in the XBMC db. im only able to find the collection names

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
I use sets for ease of sorting and finding what I want. Great feature that I'm glad is part of the XBMC library.
I have plans on sorting into sets soon.
But my initial way to get around the scattering effect of movie titles was to simply number them. =P

James Bond (1) Dr. No [PG][1962][1080p]
James Bond (2) From Russia with Love [PG][1963][1080p]
...ect
...ect
Lord of the Rings (1) The Fellowship of the Ring [PG-13][2001][1080p]
Lord of the Rings (1) The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition [PG-13][2001][1080p]
Lord of the Rings (2) The Two Towers [PG-13][2002][1080p]
Lord of the Rings (2) The Two Towers - Extended Edition [PG-13][2002][1080p]
...ect
...ect

I had to take some liberties with some titles to get things to work (different batman series for instance) but it works rather well for the most part as long as you remember to keep the (1) (2) (3) in the name when you title them in the NFO
Ahh, that is one ugly way to do it. But you are right. It is simple to impermanent.
(2013-01-20, 14:53)Oddsodz Wrote: For you guys that are struggling with chronological order. Add/Edit this in your movies '.nfo's

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Fellowship of the Ring</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 4</sorttitle>
    <

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Two Towers</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 5</sorttitle>
    <

PHP Code:
<title>The Lord of the RingsThe Return of the King</title>
    <
sorttitle>Middle Earth 6</sorttitle>
    <

The key line/tag are '<set>' and '<sorttitle>'. Add them and then refresh/rescrape the moives into your library. Make sure to tell XBMC to make use of 'Local stored data'.

Hell as long as you have '<sorttitle>' you don't even need '<set>' at all. But it is nice if a skin can make use of them.

Side note. I have my LoftR movies sorted as 'Middle Earth' 4,5,6 due the new Hobbit movies that are coming and they will be grouped up as part of this set. You can make them 'Middle Earth' 1,2,3 if you wish.

Yes! Many thanks. This is the exact situation I was looking for an answer to. LoTR movies and all. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you make use of movie sets? Why or why not?0