Do you make use of movie sets? Why or why not?
Very good discussion and I am struggling for a while how to do this. In a way, I really like to keep the original names in one straight library list. At the same time, I enjoy the grouping happening through the movie set. Ideally, I would like to have both.

One solution would be to use a "movie playlist" instead of "movie sets". Anyone wih experience using these and thoughts whether this would be a good way to approach this.

Any idea whether EMM or others can help with creating movie playlists? Or are you doing this through the XBMC GUI?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977

Set creation has always been a bit of a rub, until sets became auto scraped from a central database which caused no end of trouble for users who had custom sets some of which crossed reference with legit boxed sets and Frodo only allowed one flag reference to sets (but we were warned that was coming) and some users had issue with the content of set definitions in the database. The presumption of this thread seems to determine how people use sets and if the migration towards box sets is accepted well.

Your observations is noted, but the question is side slipping, really needs a new thread on creation of movie playlists.
(2013-01-18, 23:54)T800 Wrote: If I could automatically get all movies that I have in a set now, to be chronological order without being in a set I would possibly remove the set.

For example the LOTR films should be in this order:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Because of how they are named they are in this order:
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

For me that is totally unacceptable. I can either rename all the sort orders in the .nfo for all movies in sets (which I don't fancy doing) or keep the existing sets and order the set content by year.

I'm not a tinkerer by nature and have a standard 12.1 install. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the default setting in Confluence to sort by year of release? Just noting that my LOTR trilogy is listed in that way...

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't read your post correctly.
I use the sets. I have 300+ films so a lot are grouped into their trilogies etc. I also created sets for Pixar films, other animated films, and an Avengers set.
I normally change the cover artwork to a picture of the box set so it stands out a bit more that is actually a collection, rather than just one film.
I also use the web interface add-on XWMM, but since Frodo the add-on hasn't been fully updated to create movie sets yet.

You can sort the set out by year or name order. Just go into the set, press left and then change the "sort by"
I have about 100+ movie sets - it just makes browsing less cluttered and easier to handle with over 1500 movies - I also think its nice to have the artwork for boxsets as well - something a bit different - in some skins box set disc art has been added so you can see all the discs in a set - great eye candy (if thats what you want) but as I said its primarily to keep my movies nice and tidy
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
I make extensive use of sets - but not the standard ones from scraping.
I have a large collection of films that I have ripped (cannot be bothered with discs) and organise them into sets:

Filmography: Clint Eastwood
Filmography: Laurel and Hardy
etc
Movies: Comedy
Movies: Horror
etc

I then give each a sort title so that they display haw I want them.

Picky I know but it does make the Library "Spouse Friendly"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do you make use of movie sets? Why or why not?0