Box recommendation (NAS+Smart TV)
I posted this on another site, but was sent to you guys for better advice.

Im wanting to enhance my 58" dumb Plasma into a smart TV. I currently run all my videos and music which is stored on a QNAP NAS through Twonky Media Server to my PS3 and onto my TV.
Any suggestions on a media streamer that run can Android? Most importantly, it needs to play most files types, have wifi and Ethernet connections and stream 1080p. I want to be able to also use it for the internet e.g Youtube.
i have researched unsuccessfully the Pivos Xios, MK809II and G-Box. Every time I read a review, I get conflicting reports.
Has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions? I want to ditch the PS3 and stream my digital library the Smart TV way!
Any reason you're focused on the Android platform? For a low cost option you could consider either a Raspberry Pi, or XIOS running openelec and xbmc. Alternatively you could buy (or build) an HTPC that would cost more, but perform better and be more extensible.

As much as I like it, I wouldnt recommend a Pi in this case; its potentially a good XBMC media player, but not much use to browse the web and youtube performance is rather slow using xbmc addon. Its doable, but only barely. Its also a poor NAS, as its just too slow. I only get ~4MB/s out of mine, since the USB port and the NIC share its limited bandwidth.

If the focus is not on XBMC media player, then a faster (Android based) device is probably a better solution here, even if it means that running XBMC for now will be, lets say, adventurous. Other media players should work okay though, and once XBMC matures, you can start using it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Box recommendation (NAS+Smart TV)0