SATA III HD backward compatiblity
Are the new SATA III Hard Drives backward compatible with the older SATA specifications? I have an older Gateway Desktop (bought around 2008) which has 500GB, I want to add 2 internal drives. I am guessing it supports SATA I, because it has IDE port. I am not sure if the motherboard will recognize the new drives ( I have about 4 SATA connectors available). I want to rebuild the OS, originally had Vista, but want to install Windows 7 or 8 on a new hard drive. I would be fine if the drive transferred slightly slower until I buy a newer NAS. I would be using it to stream 720p/1080p HD content to 2 ( and 1 ipad ) different XBMC HTPC's. I am thinking it wouldn't be too much slower slower than the USB 2 1.5GB external drive I have.

Yes - if there's a SATA port it'll work.

Capacity >2TB - or even 1TB - drives may be an issue though recognizing all the space. That part'll be SATA controller / mobo dependent.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Hmmm, I was planning to get a 2tb drive. Maybe I'll just try it and see what happens. Worst case I'll use it in another box. Thanks for the info.
This is what I ended up buying. http://dealnews.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-...62008.html
Worst case you *may* not get full 2TB - time will tell - but it should work fine in the upgraded system eventually...

Good luck.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Just as a FYI, I am using a Sata 3 SSD drive on one of my older machines that has only a Sata 1 port. No problems at all!
I'm using a SATA3 SSD in a build with only SATA2 ports available. I don't notice any difference.
(2013-01-26, 08:02)thethirdnut Wrote: Worst case you *may* not get full 2TB - time will tell - but it should work fine in the upgraded system eventually...

Good luck.
2TB should be fine, anything over might be a problem.

I plugged in the new hard drive into my desktop and the machine never powered back on. I ended up buying a replacement PSU, and that powered the machine back on, but not seeing any video output. I think the CPU is messed up. I saw some of the pins bent on it when I took it out.

I have a few options here. This is the desktop I have, http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway...38288.html.

1) I could buy a replacement cpu and cpu fan. AMD Phenom X4 9550 is what is in it now.
2) Buy an off the shelf desktop for general desktop use and media center storage and centralized mysql database for xbmc.
3) Build a computer for general desktop use and media center storage and centralized mysql database for xbmc.
4) Try and fix the cpu by trying to bend the few pins back.
5) Build an unraid system. Buy a laptop for general purpose usage.

What would you suggest if you were in my place?

I leaning towards 2 or 3 ( more towards 3 since I have a brand new PSU 500w now) . I would be more inclined for #2, if the desktop tower had at least 3-4 spots for hardrives. I would like to keep under $500 US dollars.

(2013-02-03, 05:55)skippy Wrote: I plugged in the new hard drive into my desktop and the machine never powered back on. I ended up buying a replacement PSU, and that powered the machine back on, but not seeing any video output. I think the CPU is messed up. I saw some of the pins bent on it when I took it out.

I have a few options here. This is the desktop I have, http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway...38288.html.

1) I could buy a replacement cpu and cpu fan. AMD Phenom X4 9550 is what is in it now.
2) Buy an off the shelf desktop for general desktop use and media center storage and centralized mysql database for xbmc.
3) Build a computer for general desktop use and media center storage and centralized mysql database for xbmc.
4) Try and fix the cpu by trying to bend the few pins back.
5) Build an unraid system. Buy a laptop for general purpose usage.

What would you suggest if you were in my place?

I leaning towards 2 or 3 ( more towards 3 since I have a brand new PSU 500w now) . I would be more inclined for #2, if the desktop tower had at least 3-4 spots for hardrives. I would like to keep under $500 US dollars.

I ended up building another system to serve as my NAS. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1338796

My old SATA I drive worked when connected to my new system, so I was able to get everything off my old desktop and migrated without issue. I wasn't able to validate if a SATA III drive would have connected to an older motherboard. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't have worked.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SATA III HD backward compatiblity0