Hifi System for Parents / Better solution than 3k Bose system?
I asked my parents to bring me an Access Point for their WLAN. What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system. They say the sound in the local electronics store was awesome and they want to get rid of their old Marantz Hifi rack, get new speakers (which they really need), and get rid of the cables.

Now I don't really know much about the system, but the price seems pretty high for the fact that you basically get a speaker, a subwoofer, and a receiver and Apple dock. It seems you're paying a lot for brand and out-of-the-box convenience. I could be wrong though.

My question: Given the budget (or ideally less) are there better solutions? I was already thinking about building them an XBMC box, so I could combine everything and come up with a better solution if possible. They actually don't care so much about movies and home theater; what they basically want is a nice looking, easy-to-use Hifi system with a good sound and no cables that integrates TV, radio, DVD/CD/Bluray, and iPod/iPad with one universal remote. On the other hand, I never really showed them an XBMC cetup (I am still working on mine) but only talked about it, and I guess they could like it once they see it.

Any ideas? What would you do with the budget?
What would you like baked in to that price? just HiFi?
(2013-01-26, 17:29)jaochoo Wrote: I asked my parents to bring me an Access Point for their WLAN. What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system. They say the sound in the local electronics store was awesome and they want to get rid of their old Marantz Hifi rack, get new speakers (which they really need), and get rid of the cables.

Now I don't really know much about the system, but the price seems pretty high for the fact that you basically get a speaker, a subwoofer, and a receiver and Apple dock. It seems you're paying a lot for brand and out-of-the-box convenience. I could be wrong though.

My question: Given the budget (or ideally less) are there better solutions? I was already thinking about building them an XBMC box, so I could combine everything and come up with a better solution if possible. They actually don't care so much about movies and home theater; what they basically want is a nice looking, easy-to-use Hifi system with a good sound and no cables that integrates TV, radio, DVD/CD/Bluray, and iPod/iPad with one universal remote. On the other hand, I never really showed them an XBMC cetup (I am still working on mine) but only talked about it, and I guess they could like it once they see it.

My neighbors bought the same system recently. No they didnt ask my advice Smile
And yes, there are (far) better solutions for that kind of money, or similar solutions for a fraction of the cost. The audio quality of Bose isnt that great IMO. They over-emphasize bass and high tones to make it sound more impressive to a layman, but when playing back music, or even watching 5.1 DTS movies, their bose system doesnt hold a candle to my budget (and second hand) Yamaha AVR with Artsound/Jamo speakers, which cost me about 1/10th of the bose,

Just propose them a mid range AVR and speaker combo, a HTPC and a logitech Harmony. If you pick carefully, you will have a vastly better sounding solution thats just as easy to use, for, guessing, barely over 1000 euro.

BTW, chances are their old Marantz is actually a better amplifier than the bose, although it will be stereo only (but so is the Bose).

This might get me on the Bose hitlist once again, but here you go Tongue

Yamaha RX-A820 Black
7x100W 7.2 3D A/V-receiver w/ AirPlay
EUR 750

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Black x2
EUR 450

Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000
EUR 185

SVS SB-1000 Black
EUR 525

Yamaha BD-S673 Black
EUR 150

Kickass HTPC
EUR 400

Harmony One+
EUR 100

The sound will kick the bose systems ass, it will deliver a better player (faster) and a htpc with xbmc..

And all that for EUR 2560(EUR 140 less than bose) Smile
(2013-01-26, 19:50)Vertigo Wrote:
(2013-01-26, 17:29)jaochoo Wrote: I asked my parents to bring me an Access Point for their WLAN. What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system. They say the sound in the local electronics store was awesome and they want to get rid of their old Marantz Hifi rack, get new speakers (which they really need), and get rid of the cables.

My neighbors bought the same system recently. No they didnt ask my advice Smile
And yes, there are (far) better solutions for that kind of money, or similar solutions for a fraction of the cost. The audio quality of Bose isnt that great IMO. They over-emphasize bass and high tones to make it sound more impressive to a layman, but when playing back music, or even watching 5.1 DTS movies, their bose system doesnt hold a candle to my budget (and second hand) Yamaha AVR with Artsound/Jamo speakers, which cost me about 1/10th of the bose,

Just propose them a mid range AVR and speaker combo, a HTPC and a logitech Harmony. If you pick carefully, you will have a vastly better sounding solution thats just as easy to use, for, guessing, barely over 1000 euro.

BTW, chances are their old Marantz is actually a better amplifier than the bose, although it will be stereo only (but so is the Bose).

Never cut the cost if you don't have to. Yes, bose is crap but that's not a good reason to cut the cost and get something you might not be happy with - they wanted it for the convenient size and better sound (compared to their current setup). If the budget is 2-3k EUR than show them what they really might get for that price.
(2013-01-26, 23:06)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Never cut the cost if you don't have to. Yes, bose is crap but that's not a good reason to cut the cost and get something you might not be happy with - they wanted it for the convenient size and better sound (compared to their current setup). If the budget is 2-3k EUR than show them what they really might get for that price.

I guess you work in sales and on commission Smile.
In my world, value for money is what counts. His parents where willing to buy a 2.1 sound system that is, well, lets be generous and say only reasonably good. Im also guessing the ease of installation of the system was a key selling point. From there to wiring your living room for a 7.1 audio system with huge speakers, and that in the end, still costs as much, may be a very tough sale.
(2013-01-26, 17:29)jaochoo Wrote: What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system.

I cannot blame your parents for wanting to keep thing simple in their home theater room. I wouldn't want to spend that much money for the sub par sound quality of Bose speaker though. I used to have Bose 7.1 system, and I'm glad that I replaced it with 8" mid-bass floor standing Klipsch speakers and 12" subwoofers...

If your parents want good sounding speaker, they have to get bigger speaker. If they want simplicity, Bose is not a bad idea. Having heard Bose Life Style 135 and Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR, I'm recommending the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR instead over Bose 135. The XTR is equipped with 200W RMS siz 3.5" mid-bass domes, three 1" tweeters and 250W RMS 8" wireless subwoofer. It is equipped with three HDMI input, one HDMI output and it can decode DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc. If they want a very good sound quality soundbar, I highly recommend XTR over any soundbar.......

Here is the info on it....

Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR

SoloCinema XTR Video

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-01-26, 23:43)Vertigo Wrote:
(2013-01-26, 23:06)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Never cut the cost if you don't have to. Yes, bose is crap but that's not a good reason to cut the cost and get something you might not be happy with - they wanted it for the convenient size and better sound (compared to their current setup). If the budget is 2-3k EUR than show them what they really might get for that price.

I guess you work in sales and on commission Smile.
In my world, value for money is what counts. His parents where willing to buy a 2.1 sound system that is, well, lets be generous and say only reasonably good. Im also guessing the ease of installation of the system was a key selling point. From there to wiring your living room for a 7.1 audio system with huge speakers, and that in the end, still costs as much, may be a very tough sale.

No i work in IT and home entertainment consultation Wink
If you read my post you would be able to count a 5.1 not 7.1 (7.1 is only needed in home cinemas at at least 40kvm+, and even then just for enthusiasts)
The speakers i mentioned where also small and wall mountable so where did you get the huge speakers from?
For grownups that's not really that much money for an entertainment system seeing how most people at 40+ are used to having the living-room stereo for at least 5years.
Its actually less than what my TV cost on sale Tongue

(2013-01-27, 01:56)PobjoySpecial Wrote: Yeah, it sounds like they want somethign simple (e.g soundbar) rather than a full-blown home theater system.

If they are happy with 2.1 and their TV supports variable audio out, the best !/$ would be a set of nice powered bookshelf speakers (~$250) with a quality powered subwoofer (~$250). You'll get a better sound stage with separate speakers and everything will be routed/controlled through the TV. A nice stereo > lousy surround sound, IMO.

Otherwise, a nice powered soundbar will do the same job as the Bose, probably for ~1/3 the cost.

Ive tested sound-bars up to the 3000EUR range and they have never been better than a stereo for 1000EUR so your stuck with the bose "quality"
If they just want 2.1 then yeah but i would go a bit higher in price and get them some 5" form klipsch rb series(RB-51 II Black) and a svs sub (SVS SB-1000 Black) - i would still recommend a surround receiver at a minimum of 700EUR like the above mentioned Yamaha.
That would give them a complete stereo (2.1) for about 1700EUR with a sound-quality you wouldn't beat for less than 3000EUR

(2013-01-27, 03:51)bluray Wrote:
(2013-01-26, 17:29)jaochoo Wrote: What they came back with was a Bose advertisement and the plan to spend EUR 2,700 on a Bose Lifestyle 135 system.

I cannot blame your parents for wanting to keep thing simple in their home theater room. I wouldn't want to spend that much money for the sub par sound quality of Bose speaker though. I used to have Bose 7.1 system, and I'm glad that I replaced it with 8" mid-bass floor standing Klipsch speakers and 12" subwoofers...

If your parents want good sounding speaker, they have to get bigger speaker. If they want simplicity, Bose is not a bad idea. Having heard Bose Life Style 135 and Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR, I'm recommending the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR instead over Bose 135. The XTR is equipped with 200W RMS siz 3.5" mid-bass domes, three 1" tweeters and 250W RMS 8" wireless subwoofer. It is equipped with three HDMI input, one HDMI output and it can decode DTS-HD, TrueHD, etc. If they want a very good sound quality soundbar, I highly recommend XTR over any soundbar.......

Here is the info on it....

Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR

SoloCinema XTR Video

+1

Still out of the box always has that hermetic box sound on the speakers and a way to slow and weak sub...
Quote:No i work in IT and home entertainment consultation Wink
If you read my post you would be able to count a 5.1 not 7.1 (7.1 is only needed in home cinemas at at least 40kvm+, and even then just for enthusiasts)

So why make them pay for a 7.2 receiver? Its not like the three extra amp channels are given away for free.

Anyway, one comment on those suggesting a stereo solution; for music thats fine of course, and it will depend on your room and setup, but for movies (or tv), I can live without surround speakers, but not without a center speaker. Having all dialogue come from the corner of my room sounds completely wrong and unnatural. Go for a 3.1 speaker setup at least.
you will waste a huge amount of money if you're cutting amp channels for the hell of it, most receivers these day have 7 channels no matter what.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I chose that amp for the sound quality and compatibility with the speakers frequency wise...
If they're looking at bose design is important and they clearly don't want something second hand.

You have 4 groups of people :
1. cheapskates
the ones going for something that barely works to save some bucks
recognized by secondhand products, rpi, IKEA tv etc.
personality "k": careful finds safety in numbers and therefore always want people down to their level

2. regular guys
go for regular solutions and usually go for midrange products
recognized by 5.1 surround system from components but not high end. They usually by Samsung tvs
personality "s" : just wants something good and get it over with.

3. enthusiasts
never go for the best but what they like the most
recognized by Panasonic plasma, weird or special speakers (Martin Logan etc)
personality "i" : loves recognition

4. big spender
gets the best things he can get
recognized with dedicated cenima, projector and a very expensive couch
personality "d" : wants the best and just get the purchase over with

you sir are a number 1 - which makes you bad for advice but don't worry, the 1 usually ends up being richer and is usually known as the better lover :p

that's just buyer psychology for you Smile
Quote: Its not like the three extra amp channels are given away for free.

oh, yes they are Smile
At the risk of derailing this thread, I have to reply to this, as its a bit of a personal attack TBH.
First of all, I never recommended his parents buy anything second hand. I have recommended it to others who declared themselves to be on a shoe string budget, and second hand can indeed save you a ton of money or get you quality they couldnt possibly afford new. But clearly the parents of the OP are not on a shoe string budget.

Secondly, I never mentioned a Pi in this thread, and I didnt go for Pi myself because its cheap. I have at least 5 PCs in my house that are perfectly capable to be used as HTPCs and if I deemed it necessary, I wouldnt think twice about buying a 6th. I went for it because A) Im a geek and I was going to buy a few anyway. B) none of those PCs are fanless, tiny and can be left on 24/7 drawing ~3W.

Lastly, your list and attributing personalities to them is, frankly, snobbish and inaccurate. To prove my point, where would you put the purchasers of Bose systems in that list? They dont fit anywhwere, and nor do I. I have a very expensive couch Smile.
(2013-01-27, 10:29)Vertigo Wrote:

So why make them pay for a 7.2 receiver? Its not like the three extra amp channels are given away for free.

Anyway, one comment on those suggesting a stereo solution; for music thats fine of course, and it will depend on your room and setup, but for movies (or tv), I can live without surround speakers, but not without a center speaker. Having all dialogue come from the corner of my room sounds completely wrong and unnatural. Go for a 3.1 speaker setup at least.

To be fair - most decent AV Amps these days come as 7.1 or 7.2 as standard. We only have a 5.0 system (no sub woofer) but our last three AVRs have been 7.1 or 7.2 capable. There weren't really options with suitable specs (number of HDMI inputs in particular) that had fewer amp channels. We've had two Onkyos and been pretty happy with them.

That said - the OP's parents may well have been sold on the simplicity and low-key nature of the Bose set-up, I know my mum would never have a 5.1 set-up in her living room (even with wireless connections to the rear speakers)...
(2013-01-27, 12:20)Vertigo Wrote: At the risk of derailing this thread, I have to reply to this, as its a bit of a personal attack TBH.
First of all, I never recommended his parents buy anything second hand. I have recommended it to others who declared themselves to be on a shoe string budget, and second hand can indeed save you a ton of money or get you quality they couldnt possibly afford new. But clearly the parents of the OP are not on a shoe string budget.

Secondly, I never mentioned a Pi in this thread, and I didnt go for Pi myself because its cheap. I have at least 5 PCs in my house that are perfectly capable to be used as HTPCs and if I deemed it necessary, I wouldnt think twice about buying a 6th. I went for it because A) Im a geek and I was going to buy a few anyway. B) none of those PCs are fanless, tiny and can be left on 24/7 drawing ~3W.

Lastly, your list and attributing personalities to them is, frankly, snobbish and inaccurate. To prove my point, where would you put the purchasers of Bose systems in that list? They dont fit anywhwere, and nor do I. I have a very expensive couch Smile.

Snobbish and inaccurate?
That my friend is the disk model - the training the most larger stores in the world use to asses a buyer.
Companies use it in marketing, sales and customer service. You'll notice it in microsofts product presentations as well as apples commercials to name a few...

(2013-01-27, 13:12)noggin Wrote:
(2013-01-27, 10:29)Vertigo Wrote:

To be fair - most decent AV Amps these days come as 7.1 or 7.2 as standard. We only have a 5.0 system (no sub woofer) but our last three AVRs have been 7.1 or 7.2 capable. There weren't really options with suitable specs (number of HDMI inputs in particular) that had fewer amp channels. We've had two Onkyos and been pretty happy with them.

That said - the OP's parents may well have been sold on the simplicity and low-key nature of the Bose set-up, I know my mum would never have a 5.1 set-up in her living room (even with wireless connections to the rear speakers)...

7.1 is still the only way to go for a 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1.
and as for 2.0 the yamaha receivers are also the way to go:
1.lots of inputs
2.upgrade ability
3.airplay
4.internet radio
5. dlna
6. usb playback
7. true hd decode
8. multi channel prosesing
9. radio
10. bluetooth

and all in one box that also has audio quality..
(2013-01-27, 13:28)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Snobbish and inaccurate?
That my friend is the disk model - the training the most larger stores in the world use to asses a buyer.
Companies use it in marketing, sales and customer service.

Like I said, you are talking like a salesman.
Im here to offer advise as I would (and do) advise friends. Im not trying to achieve my monthly sales quota.
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I was selling Home Cinema stuff Bose didn't actually pay for the Dolby or DTS licenses - they used their own processing so you don't really get the true surround from the file/disc.

If you are based in the UK there are some pretty incredible value for money setups:

Denon 1513 - £120 - 7.1 and HD Audio

Mordaunt Short Alumni system - 5.1 - £399 - Includes sub an centre - can add two more speakers for 7.1

Extra speakers for 7.1 - £140

Then just build yourself an HTPC for around £250 - plenty of info around on that topic.

That means you have a bluray 7.1 capable htpc surround setup for £800ish that will kick ass, or 5.1 setup for £140 less. Maybe factor isn speaker brackets and cable, and you are only hitting £1000 and it will kick the ass of any Bose setup in my opinion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hifi System for Parents / Better solution than 3k Bose system?0