Silent i3 build. Power consumption?
Hi,

I'm bulding a silent setup.

I need help to size my picopsu. How much is the power consumption of this build? How big picopsu I need?

Streacom FC5
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H matx
i3-3225
4Gb ddr3 ram
128Gb ssd
1Tb hdd
Slim bluray (optional)

Should I get option 1 or 2?

Option1
90w picopsu + 110w power adapter.
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-90
http://www.mini-box.com/110w-12v-8-5A-AC...er-Adapter

Option2
150w picopsu + 150w power adapter.
http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-12-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

90w should be fine my 3220 draws 35w idle last time i checked (and that's with a less efficient psu) Smile
Thanks, I think 90w is enough. Price range is not so high compared to streacom nanopsu 150w. Maybe its safer to with 150w.

Which IR receiver to use with this Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H? I've read that Streacom IR receiver is not fully compatible with harmony remote. I prefer built in receiver not usb.
I found some intel and asrock receivers but none for gigabyte. Does someone know?
The picoPSU will better quality than the Streacom knock-off.

You can get an internal ehome receiver that plugs into a USB header on the motherboard. The Intel / ASRock ones use a CIR header which Gigabyte does not have.
(2013-02-01, 14:29)matto81 Wrote: Maybe its safer to with 150w.
For sure, it'll give you more room to upgrade (discrete GPU, blu-ray burner, etc) in the future. This one "picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC" should work....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
FWIW, unless you're planning to run Prime95, Folding@Home or do some heavy transcoding/gaming you'll be using 30-40W most of the time. If you're thinking future upgrades, the FC5 probably isn't the best choice even if you can use a PCI riser, what kind of GPU can you fit anyway?

You'll never know when you need the extra power. When you need it, it is good to know that it is there. You'll be surprised how much you can upgrade computer these days, and there is adapter for everything. Check out these guys, and they have very similar build as OP- Fanless gaming PC ( Streacom FC5, GTX660ti ).....
Good points.

Does this Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H include power on usb/wake on usb? Anyone know?
Or is this function on every motherboard nowadays?
(2013-02-02, 10:26)matto81 Wrote: Good points.

Does this Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H include power on usb/wake on usb? Anyone know?
Or is this function on every motherboard nowadays?
It doesn't seem to have CIR header, but this "AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77" included CIR header....and you should be able to turn on/off from cold state with this "4 in 1 Backlit Remote and CIR Receiver w/Cable and Mounting Bracket for ASRock Motherboards"......

(2013-02-01, 15:57)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The picoPSU will better quality than the Streacom knock-off.

You can get an internal ehome receiver that plugs into a USB header on the motherboard. The Intel / ASRock ones use a CIR header which Gigabyte does not have.

Could you post link for that internal ehome receiver?

http://shop.inteset.com/Category/7-remot...ivers.aspx
This is it what I ordered.
GA-Z77M-D3H, LGA1155, Intel Z77,
Core i3 3225, LGA1155, 3.3GHz, HD 4000, 3MB,
4GB Ripjaws DDR3-1600 F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL 9-9-9-24
128GB Vertex 4 SSD-kiintolevy, SATA III, 2.5",
PICOPSU-150-XT PicoPSU 150W
PWR-ACDC-12V-150W

I had some problems at the start. Bios was too old and I couldn't update it because computer was stable only like 10 seconds and then rebooted. I mailed back the parts so the company where I bought the parts can update the bios. They mailed me that bios is now updated but your picopsu is too small for this setup. They tested it and computer is stable with picopsu160w.

How could this be that it's taking so much power?

So, now I have ordered picopsu160w + 192w ACDC. Are my calculations right?
1 x CPU: 55w
1 x Motherboard: 30w
1 x RAM: 6w
1 x SSD: 4w
1 x HHD: 6w
1 x Usb keyboard, mouse: 6w
= 107w
The company that told you your 150w PSU is too small is just wrong. There are A LOT of similar builds on this forum using 90w & 120w picoPSUs with no problem. Your build should draw maybe 70w under MAX load (and I think that is probably a bit of an overestimate but I'm just being conservative). I'd suggest that you buy a kill-a-watt meter or borrow one from a friend or your local library before buying a bigger PSU. You'll be able to see the actual power consumption of your hardware and all of your questions will be answered.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I agree that 150w is more than enough. My i5 3450s htpc only uses a 65w ac adapter. I have measured the power consumption from the wall using a kill-a-watt and it tops out at 50 watts from the wall running prime95 & furmark. During regular use, it never even gets that high. Your power consumption might be a bit higher at idle because of the z77 and Gigabyte motherboard, but i5 DH61AG combo has 4 cores, so I can't see the power consumption being that radically different. Intel overstates some of their TDPs.

Here are some power consumption numbers of some systems from Silent PC Review:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1330-page4.html
(2013-02-20, 12:05)matto81 Wrote: So, now I have ordered picopsu160w + 192w ACDC. Are my calculations right?
1 x CPU: 55w
1 x Motherboard: 30w
1 x RAM: 6w
1 x SSD: 4w
1 x HHD: 6w
1 x Usb keyboard, mouse: 6w
= 107w
The numbers above are raw spec (you can call it ball field numbers). The only way to find out for sure is to connect it to the Kill A Watt meter below, and you're more likely to use 1/3 of 160w for standard playback......I have an Intel i7-3770+gaming GT545+BD-ROM....I'm running off 240w brick, and I have plenty of power to spare......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silent i3 build. Power consumption?0