Linux DTS-HD Master Audio
Music 
HI everyone!

I'm trying to play back some video with DTS-MA. My receiver does not support this codec, I thought it would be possible to have playback by sending stereo as the output, but no dice.

When I play one of these files my framerate drops to 2 fps with no audio.

I'm on a zbox with a Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver on ubuntu 12.10. Do I have any options here besides getting a different receiver?

Debug Log

Thanks
Ok....I feel dumb, but I also feel like I've discovered a discrepancy in xbmc. So I disabled DTS-HD support in settings (which my receiver is capable of) and now DTS-HDMA plays fine. I think xbmc handles DTS-HD and DTS-HDMA as one codec instead of two separate ones. Am I on to something here or am I just dumb?
Any settings marked capable receiver means your receiver has to support these streams directly. Receiver also use firmwares and some need updating.
See here for more infor on XBMC Audio capabilities and hardwrae reported to work http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AudioEngine

When you disable a passthough setting in XBMC (because your AVR doesnt support it) your AVR will get LPCM via HDMI, nothing else. So if your receiver cant decode DTS-HD and XBMC has DTS-HD capable reciever enabled, your avr will play DTS-core (IIRC plain DTS which is lossy) only.

You mention you have a zbox but dont actually say which one. Either way posting just model number is not enough here (at best post a link to the model page) and double check what your receiver can or cant do

uNi
Exactly my point...... My received does support dts-hd, hence why I had it enabled in xbmc. However, my receiver does not support dts-hdma.

So on a whim I decided I would disable dts.-hd just to see what happened. Turns out this setting also enables/disables dts-hdma.

So I'm essentially hamstrung by xbmc here. I can't listen to dts-hd files without rendering dts-hdma unusable. I also can't listen to dts-hdma without turning off support for dts-hd.

So you see I'm stuck in a rut here.

Are there any plans to separate HD and HDMA within xbmc settings?
idk only a Developer can say

You may stumbled into a "feature" bug which given the maturity of AudioEngine is not unusual, but again only a Audio developer can answer this.

I done a wip format table
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Talk:AudioEngine

If a developer wants to extend or fix that explanation they can. Essentailly DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA are separate and different formats and abilities are diffrent in both, the later is really the superior format..

uNi
Thanks uni.....maybe this will get some Dev attention. Ideally I think there should be two separate settings. One for dts-hd and one for dts-hdma. Its logical since most lower end receivers don't support hdma, but do support the former.
You still best pastebin a debug log with both DTS-HD ON and OFF (playing this file which has DTS-HD MA Audio or whaever., One thing I dont get you said your receiver doest support DTS-HD MA but when you disabled DTS-HD its plays DTS-HD MA fine?

uNi
Hi uNiversal - your PM's are disabled so I can't respond directly to your PM.

DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA are indeed two seperate animals, but given the rarity of DTS-HD and it's lossy format, and DTS-HD MA being the standard for Bluray going forward, I'm not sure if there's much demand for it...
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2013-02-02, 02:11)uNiversal Wrote: You still best pastebin a debug log with both DTS-HD ON and OFF (playing this file which has DTS-HD MA Audio or whaever., One thing I dont get you said your receiver doest support DTS-HD MA but when you disabled DTS-HD its plays DTS-HD MA fine?

uNi

No, my receiver supports dts-hd not dts-hdma......which I think is pretty standard prqctice on sub 300$ receivers
OK until I read this forum I wasn't aware of the two different codecs.

Looks like you might have to switch audio settings depending what you are playing. When playing DTS-HD-MA to a non capable HD-MA (but capable of DTS simpliciter) amp, the DTS core stream should be sent. But DTS-HD support needs to be "off" in XBMC audio settings.

For your DTS-HD (nonMA) files you need to switch it back on. DDDamian seems to think HD-nonMA files are pretty rare, but maybe you have more than average of them?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
They probably are pretty rare. I think I have only one dts-hd file. Which arguably illustrates how irrelevant it would be for you to separate these settings. I just thought it was interesting to hat it had never come up before. My solution is simply to turn off dts-hd in xbmc. When I do this I can play both codes but only receive the dts core, is that correct?
(2013-02-02, 05:00)DDDamian Wrote: Hi uNiversal - your PM's are disabled so I can't respond directly to your PM.

DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA are indeed two seperate animals, but given the rarity of DTS-HD and it's lossy format, and DTS-HD MA being the standard for Bluray going forward, I'm not sure if there's much demand for it...

Yes so what the op is saying is what exactly and how is that handled in AE?

SO your saying that DTS-HD is supported in AE and DTS-HD MA is not? What about DTS-MA? Its really not clear what excatly is supported and how for two of these at least.

uNi
I also wonder if this isn't a hardware issue. My zbox id80_u has a gt520m. Maybe this GPU doesn't support HD audio with AE?
(2013-02-02, 09:39)uNiversal Wrote:
(2013-02-02, 05:00)DDDamian Wrote: Hi uNiversal - your PM's are disabled so I can't respond directly to your PM.

Yes so what the op is saying is what exactly and how is that handled in AE?

SO your saying that DTS-HD is supported in AE and DTS-HD MA is not? What about DTS-MA? Its really not clear what excatly is supported and how for two of these at least.

uNi

DTS-HD: a lossy, constant-bitrate and channel-limited format supporting 24/96, used where disk space is limited
DTS-HD MA: a lossless, variable-bitrate, virtually channel-unlimited format supporting 24/192 and the de-facto bluray standard

DTS-HD: YMMV
DTS-HD MA: supported
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
@DDDamian

What the op is asking is the RE: settings DTS-HD capable receiver is not same as DTS-HD MA or is that setting handling both?

Yes that info helps a bit, You mind having a look when you have a minute at AE wiki talk page? And make any notes about that table is there anything missing or more accurate info. I wanted to add that to AE main page just under http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...ed_to_work

I guess in that AE main page DTS-MA should really read DTS-HD MA other than that looks complete now.

TIA and for the help so far clarifying these things.

uNi
@uNiversal - that looks like a good addition.

DTS-MA should really read DTS-HD MA as you note, just to differentiate from DTS-HD. To add to the confusion there is also a DTS 96/24 which is also supported.

Disabling the DTS-HD capable receiver radio button would indeed disable both DTS-HD (for which support is sketchy) and DTS-HD MA, which is supported.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD Master Audio0