Need Mini-ITX Help
Hey guys!!

First of all, I have a WD TV Live SMP to watch all my HD media (1080p/720p) and I am very satisfied with its performance. But now I am thinking to build a HTPC and I´m doubting between these 2 configurations:

INTEL

1) Mobo: Asrock H77M-ITX
2) Processor: Intel I3-3220T (TDP 35W and Intel HD Graphics 2500)
3) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
4) HD: Sandisk SSD SATA 64 GB SATA 3
5) RAM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2x4GB)
6) Case: MS-Tech CI-70 (PSU 60W)

AMD

1) Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
2) Processor: AMD A6-5400K (TDP 65W and AMD Radeon HD 7540D)
3) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
5) RAM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3 1866 Mhz (2x4GB)
6) Case: Antec ISK 110 VESA (PSU 90W)

Finally say that I will use Windows 7 x64 and XBMC 12 (Aeon Nox). Now the questions:

1) Are the PSU enough in both setups?
2) For W7x64 and XBMC, what is the better choice?
3) Which is the most powerful of the two?"
4) Any suggestions or advices

Thank you!!
For the first setup, the Intel, the low-profile cooler that comes with the i3-3220T will be fine. I would give it a try before dropping US$50 on a aftermarket cooler. If you were going to use the i3-3225 that would be different. I am also not sure if there is clearance enough for the NH-L9i. You should verify that. 60W is probably enough for the i3-3220T setup, If not, it should have a 120W DC powerboard inside so you could upgrade to a 84W-90W AC adapter. It's 12V with a 2.5mm * 5.5mm tip. XBMC with Windows will be very good.

For the second setup, the A6-5400K can draw over 100W just in visiting the BIOS for the first time. It also produces a ton of heat. I would not put it in the ISK110 though maybe if someone has had success they can comment. I resell several mini-ITX cases and I would only put FM2 in my largest.
(2013-02-07, 22:12)Yorick Wrote: Hey guys!!
1) Mobo: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
2) Processor: AMD A6-5400K (TDP 65W and AMD Radeon HD 7540D)
3) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
5) RAM: Kingston HyperX 8 GB DDR3 1866 Mhz (2x4GB)
6) Case: Antec ISK 110 VESA (PSU 90W)
For HTPC, this one have the advantage because it is equipped with a more powerful iGPU....90W should be enough....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2013-02-08, 19:13)bluray Wrote: For HTPC, this one have the advantage because it is equipped with a more powerful iGPU....90W should be enough....

True, it has a better GPU but it'll fry in that case. Finding a AMD aftermarket cooler to fit in that limited space that will cool even a A6-5400K will be very difficult. I have the Gelid Slim Silence a-Plus and it doesn't cut it for A6-5400K. I have built A6-5400K with that MSI motherboard and it puts out a lot more heat than one would expect for a 65W CPU. And, like I said from my own testing, when you first visit the BIOS it will draw over 100W. You can underclock and turn off turbo it but there's an issue with the MSI board in particular where you cannot undervolt it to draw less power and you still have to be able to boot to do it. A 120W power supply is fine but 90W would be risking shutdown/reboot looping (which I saw with the 84W AC adapter before I put the 120W on).

That's my experience having built them. If the OP wants the AMD setup they should choose a bigger case with a more powerful PSU.

(2013-02-08, 19:20)Dougie Fresh Wrote: True, it has a better GPU but it'll fry in that case. Finding a AMD aftermarket cooler to fit in that limited space that will cool even a A6-5400K will be very difficult. I have the Gelid Slim Silence a-Plus and it doesn't cut it for A6-5400K.
I'm guessing you have when come across CptHook's build- XBMC Slim-2100....and he used "Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti CPU" in the same case as what OP list in the 1st post. He can use the same CPU cooler for his A6 build, and it can handle up to 95W TDP.....

(2013-02-08, 19:39)bluray Wrote:
(2013-02-08, 19:20)Dougie Fresh Wrote: True, it has a better GPU but it'll fry in that case. Finding a AMD aftermarket cooler to fit in that limited space that will cool even a A6-5400K will be very difficult. I have the Gelid Slim Silence a-Plus and it doesn't cut it for A6-5400K.
I'm guessing you have when come across CptHook's build- XBMC Slim-2100....and he used "Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti CPU" in the same case as what OP list in the 1st post. He can use the same CPU cooler for his A6 build, and it can handle up to 95W TDP.....

His was a i3-2100 build which definitely runs cooler and uses less power than the A6-5400K. The Kozuti might cool the A6-5400K enough (not feeling confident in this) but it's going to need more than a 90W power supply.

I can only say that based on my experience was having built a few mini-ITX systems with the same CPU and motherboard it would run too hot in that case and the power supply would not be sufficient for booting into the BIOS.
(2013-02-08, 19:47)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2013-02-08, 19:39)bluray Wrote:

His was a i3-2100 build which definitely runs cooler and uses less power than the A6-5400K. The Kozuti might cool the A6-5400K enough (not feeling confident in this) but it's going to need more than a 90W power supply.
Antec ISK 110 VESA is not a standard enclosed mini-itx case. It is very well built, and the entire side covers are built with ventilation holes......I agreed that Pico PSU should be higher than 90W, but it should be enough for 1080P playback using Windows 7+XBMC Frodo......
(2013-02-08, 21:49)bluray Wrote: Antec ISK 110 VESA is not a standard enclosed mini-itx case. It is very well built, and the entire side covers are built with ventilation holes......I agreed that Pico PSU should be higher than 90W, but it should be enough for 1080P playback using Windows 7+XBMC Frodo......

Can you tell me how you solved the 100W+ power consumption problem in the BIOS when you tested this? Both the ASRock and MSI motherboards had the same behavior with A6-5400K, even with a BIOS update. With the smaller power supply it would cause a reboot. Which power supply did you use?

If you can share how you got around it so a 90W power supply can be used as you say it can, I'd appreciate the insight. I also couldn't get the MSI motherboard to undervolt (a known issue) but you must have? Or, were you using the FM2A75M-ITX. How did you get around the VRM issues?

Also, what temperatures should be seen with the ISK110?

I agree with Dougie... from real testing experience the FM2 hardware runs hot and needs to be in a big case with good cooling power.
There is a website selling AMD A-Series A6-5400K 3.6GHz (FM2) DUAL CORE 65W and Antec ISK 110 VESA Mini ITX w/90W PSU (black) w/ stock AMD CPU cooler. They specialize in Antec case PC's. I'm assuming they tested the power consumption, temp and everything else before they put it on the market......the operating temp of the A6-5400K is comparable to A6-3500- AMD A6-3650 vs AMD A6-5400K...

Here is a more powerful 4-core AMD APU power consumption- AMD A10-5700 APU: Trinity at 65W, Review: AMD A10-5700.....I expect the lesser 2-core A6-5400K to consume less power than A10-5700......
Tutu took some power consumption tests on his A6-5400K below, and it is in a Streacom FC8 with blu-ray drive in it.

A6 5400K (65W)

BIOS - 53w
Idle in Windows 23w
Prime (2 cores) - 63w
XBMC - 30w
XBMC playback - 27w - 28w
HPC - 31 - 43w

If you are interesting in undervolt it, here is a good guide- How to undervolt Trinity APUs using AMD PSCheck (Tutorial)....
What were your findings though? It sounds like you've built these so I'd like to know if the you had to change out the power supply in the ISK110 and what temperatures you were seeing. Or, was it a different case and power supply?

You seem to know a lot about it so I am wondering what your experience was. A lot of others have had a hard time with unexpected power consumption heat compared to Llano but your builds don't seem to have these issues. It'd be nice to know what you're doing different.

Wow...thank you very much guys for the explanations. I see that AMD setup is the better choice, but now you are trying to decide if the Antec PSU is enough for A6-5400K. Well, it´s a good doubt but if it´s necessary I can to buy the Antec ISK 300-150 (PSU 150W) and problem solved. But there is a thing that I don´t know about this case and it´s...how noisy is it?. Because it has 3 fans (PSU, case and processor).
According to this thread of eskro, his htpc with AMD A6-5400K works with a picoPSU of 90W, so my AMD initial configuration should work fine...or am I wrong?
(2013-02-10, 15:17)Yorick Wrote: According to this thread of eskro, his htpc with AMD A6-5400K works with a picoPSU of 90W, so my AMD initial configuration should work fine...or am I wrong?

The two FM2A75M-ITX that I have (still) updated to the 1.9 BIOS with the A6-5400K will spike over 100W as measured by a Kill-a-Watt meter when first boot into the BIOS. The VRMs also have a major heat problem, including catching on fire for some people. The FM2A75M-ITX has been replaced with the FM2A85M-ITX and reports are it's better with power/heat.

I've had a couple of customers tell me the Zotac FM2 A55-ITX board runs cooler/less power than the ASRock or MSI. I've made a half dozen MSI systems and I use a 120W power supply for those since it's easy to make those spike over 90W with Prime95/Furmark. I have no personally tried the Zotac but it might be a better option.

Ultimately, at the end of the day it's up to you. I build these all the time but, hey, I am sure with enough Googling someone can and will find a counter-example to my experience. If you really want eskro's build I'll sell you an FM2A75M-ITX/A6-5400K cheap for half what I paid -- just PM me. I am not going to sell mini-ITX systems with them after all the power supply issues many customers experienced -- but maybe we all built them wrong or something Smile.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Mini-ITX Help0