Android G-Box Slav (TV box with HDD bay, Runs Linux XBMC)
A new piece of Android hardware has been released by Matricom. It's got an HDD bay, built in webcam, and internal bluetooth.
I've ordered one and will post a review later with impressions. Please post questions you would like me to answer once I receive the unit, and things you would like me to try.

G-Box Slav Specifications:
* Amlogic Cortex A9-M3 Neon CPU
* Internal 2.5" SATA HDD Support up to 1TB
* Mali400 High Performance 3D GPU - XBMC Supported
* 1.3MP Webcam w/mic included for Video calls
* 1GB RAM
* 4GB Total Internal Storage
* USB Storage Extendable (Flash Drives/HDD)
* SD Storage Extendable (Up to 32GB)
* 802.11b/g/n internal Wifi
* Internal Bluetooth
* HDMI 1080p Output
* Composite Video Output
* YUV HD Component Video Output
* Coaxial, Optical & Stereo L/R Audio Outputs
* 10/100 Ethernet Port
* Audio/Video Out (YUB and Composite)
* 2x USB 2.0 Ports
* Wall mountable case with multiple IR receivers
* Android 4 ICS Installed
* Supports Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse (Recommended)
* Supports 3D Gyro USB Wireless Mouse
* Google Play Store installed
* Supports side-load apps installation
* Fully Rooted!

OS capabilities:
*Android 4.0
*Linux XBMC

Product LINK to the G-Box Slav
I ordered 3 for me and some friends. I'll report my findings as well and which direction each one takes as for install. May go factory setup with google playstore and XBMC and another may go OPENELEC only setup missing out on the Google play store and everyones fav's Netflix and Hulu.
Have Fun...
going OPENELEC will be interesting... oh wait, there's not an OPENELEC build yet for these type of boxes.
Oh my bad then. I guess I was meaning a boot to xbmc type setup. So that that's the only thing on the Slav.
Ordered one as well. Should have it before the weekend. Will compare to my ATV 2 and post my pros and hopefully not to many cons.
also you can try this one: www.geniatech.com/pa/atv3000.asp
I'm assuming this won't do hd bitstreaming?
Well it's not whats advertised on the box. At this time. And hard to say if it ever will be Prime time. Android XBMC is just not up to par yet to handle streaming to this box with Wi-Fi or Ethernet. As for XBMC installed on it Static's 01 runs best but Wi-Fi only. Wi-Fi can handle a 20gb file size but anything past that is a no go. When I say Static's 01 runs best I'm also pointing out that all 3 versions on the install of 02 run the Slav' processor at or near 100%. Rev.2.0 in the software install menu is the only one to work with Ethernet. As for going back to the original Slav' software the one posted now on their website only put out 720p. Where did the 1080p go? I've been told by the folks who sold me the Slav' box that the forums hold the info needed to add more memory to the setup of XBMC only install in order to use the library feature in XBMC. As my collection eats all the 2gb internal memory plus and crashes the box. As for the file mode if your okay with it as the movie and tvshow interface then it works fine but I find I want more horsepower in the processor or implementation of the use of this processor to keep up and replace my Revo XBMC Live/Openelec boxes.
Now for the audio side of it. I had been using the HDMI side of it while testing it for the last few weeks and didn't notice the problem with the optical output side until I tested it yesterday. When stopping a movie or tvshow from playing it makes a loud thump in the sound system. I haven't had this before with any other XBMC setups I've ever done. So now even after asking questions and getting response from the seller I'm now out of their return policy to return the item which sucks as it's not what it's being sold as....Yet.
As for the add-on's it's good to see all of the hard work over the years of installing XBMC to see these taking off and working quite well. Wi-fi or Ethernet. So not complaining to the fact that XBMC as a program(Which is Awesome) is not up to full release with Android but I got this under the impression the App's like Netflix and XBMC work out of the box on this unit once the unit turned on. But it seems now that the focus from the company making this Slav' and Midnight have now changed focus on Netflix and Android Market apps and have moved to a direction of XBMC appliance only device. For those of us that have say WDTV and XBMC Live/Openelec setups in the house replacing 2 boxes for one was the goal here. So for now I'm stuck with these Slav' units hoping the light at the tunnel brings what's advertised on the box and websites selling these Android boxes.
Have fun and happy testing,
If you don't really need Android, try my linux build and report the bugs you find.
Okay I'll check it out. For the Slav' I would say the 2.0 download is my best choice for this box. Sad thing is yes I want the Android for netflix and hulu and every other app that might work for the box that might just be fun to try. But I'll give your software a try Thank you. Will this give me the choice of ethernet and wi-fi?
Rockchip? not with xbmc for now
(2013-03-08, 04:42)splatman2 Wrote: Okay I'll check it out. For the Slav' I would say the 2.0 download is my best choice for this box. Sad thing is yes I want the Android for netflix and hulu and every other app that might work for the box that might just be fun to try. But I'll give your software a try Thank you. Will this give me the choice of ethernet and wi-fi?

Indeed 2.0 version and indeed you loose all the android apps, but you will get both LAN and WiFi.
(2013-03-08, 00:21)j1nx Wrote: If you don't really need Android, try my linux build and report the bugs you find.

j1nx
Would you like me to report the bugs here or another site? I see my Wi-Fi Ethernet question is answered as that works with out a problem.
Shocked 
Well, I just dove in and ordered one as well from Amazon today . I have a new 60" lg plasma but its not the new unit with google tv on it. I have been using an apple tv2 in my living room and really am not happy with the slowness of the unit and this new tv does not have R/L audio out where my old tv did so this way I can plug this into my reciever! I hope this will be a decent upgrade, does anyone recommend on the slav if I should go frodo or eden?? I am not partial, as I have frodo on my laptop and eden on my atv2. I am so hoping this does not turn out to be a nightmare. I went with the slav 2 reasons- Blue Tooth capability I have several bluetooth keyboards etc laying around and also I liked the internal hard drive feature. I will plan to have this wired via lan as do I have my atv2. I am goig to thank anyone in advance for any tips insight or help they have to offer with their experience and current set up of these. Thanks ! Cool
J1Nx, I can`t seem to be able to set an IP adresse manually for my Slav GBox. Under Internet Access and Assignment it keeps saying Automatic (DHCP) and this setting seems locked. What can I do?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
G-Box Slav (TV box with HDD bay, Runs Linux XBMC)0