Linux Use a second box for handling downloads?
Hi,

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi to use as a media box for my old TV and put RaspBMC on it (not married to it yet, I know there are other XBMC options for the Pi). It works great streaming from a UPnP server (Logitech Media Server) or over SSH from my local home server, but because the wifi signal can drop occasionally (very briefly) I'm finding that addons like 4oD aren't working well. (At least, I'm guessing this is the reason.)

So I'm just wondering if there is any simple way that I could leverage the other machine (which has a reliable wired connection to my modem) to do the actual downloading, or maybe at least to proxy and buffer downloads so they won't drop out so easily?

An immediate thought that came to mind was putting XBMC on the server too so the Pi could be its client, but that's headless so I'm not sure how I could interact with it. I keep a VNC server running on it, but as XBMC doesn't use X I don't suppose this helps.

Any suggestions would be very welcome - I need to get this a lot more user-friendly before my technophobe girlfriend will go near it!

Thanks in advance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Use a second box for handling downloads?0