XBMC-XVBA Crashing Randomly 13.0-ALPHA1 Git:1d92d14
Hi Everybody,

Hope someone can help shed some light on my xbmc that is randomly crashing.
It appears to crash mostly just after library updates (automatic or manual) but other times it crashes after I have finished watching something or whilst I am navigating the menus.

I cannot see anything obvious in the debug logs but the frequency of crashes have definitely increased.

My WSNIPEX xbmc-xvba builds up to and including Frodo RC3 was very stable.
Since the release of Frodo (and me updating to the latest release about once a week on the xbmc-xvba ppa) I am experiencing at least 1 crash a day.
After updating to the Feb 13 build I have so far experienced 3 crashes (drops to terminal screen) today.

My system is Nvidia based. I have 2 Zotac boxes. One is Celeron and Nvidia and one is ION and they both behave similarly. They are both running the same build with a local Database on each.

I use NFS shares on my NAS and gigabit networking throughout. Machines are dedicated to XBMC.

I have now updated to Nightly PPA and updated my Nvidia driver to see if it makes a difference.

Here is a debug log for 13.0-ALPHA1 Git:1d92d14

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=35921

Any help in pointing out what I am doing wrong is welcomed.

Edit: Another Log:
http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=35933

Thank You
sudo apt-get install gdb

Try to get a backtrace.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank You.

Done. So now we wait for a crash!
Running 13.0-ALPHA1 Git:4659e13 to see if it makes a difference, but alas not.

So with the nighly ppa, I have had about 2 crashes so far. Both happened after viewing and I pressed stop.
gdb is installed but I cannot see any stack trace.

Should I revert back to the WSNIPEX XBMC-XVBA ppa?

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36414

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36415

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
I have also seen this issue and will look next time. Problem here is, that i can only reproduce it really, really seldom and did not get it while stepping through the code yet.

Code:
20:59:12 T:2359266112  NOTICE: Closing audio device
20:59:12 T:2359266112   DEBUG: CSoftAEStream::~CSoftAEStream - Destructed
20:59:12 T:2359266112  NOTICE: Deleting audio codec
20:59:12 T:2359266112  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: closing video stream
20:59:12 T:2359266112  NOTICE: Closing video stream
20:59:12 T:2359266112  NOTICE: waiting for video thread to exit
15:04:48 T:2425936704  NOTICE: thread end: CDVDPlayerAudio::OnExit()
15:04:48 T:2363579200  NOTICE: Closing audio device
15:04:48 T:2363579200   DEBUG: CSoftAEStream::~CSoftAEStream - Destructed

I think I delete the stream too early in FreeStream, as it gets in the Streamlock first. Btw. this is an alpha release and it is meant to break more frequently than stable version.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2013-02-17, 22:54)fritsch Wrote: Btw. this is an alpha release and it is meant to break more frequently than stable version.

Thanks fritsch. Any help appreciated.

I understand it is an Alpha version... I switched to it to see if the problem abated.

It was quite stable with the Frodo RCs. I would get about 1 crash a week under similar usage conditions.

My frequent crashes started after upgrading to Frodo Release. (about 1 crash a day)
Subsequent releases has only exacerbated the problem from Frodo Release onwards. (about 3 to 4 crashes a day)
Definition of day = Usage from 6am to 8am (Live TV) and then usage from 6pm to 11pm. (Mix of Live TV and Movies/TV Shows)

Past testing has shown that if I set repeat to on, it will quite happily play for 48 hours non-stop, looping the same content continuously.
If I start using the remote (stop button) etc. or the library update kicks in, then it would crash very soon after that.

I have always used WSNIPEX XBMC-XVBA releases as it has served me well in the past.

I am going to try a fresh install using current WSNIPEX XBMC-XVBA again and see how I go, although, all things being equal it should not make a difference as the system was freshly built from scratch when Frodo RCs came about.
Use the wsnipex-xvba-frodo branch.

xbmc-xvba: Tested releases by wsnipex and me (but there are still bugs, as you see)
xbmc-xvba-testing: bleeding edge master nightly build, not tested
xbmc-xvba-frodo: Frodo release <- choose this one
xbmc-xvba-eden: Old, outdated Eden branch

I am at the bug for stopping, will look tonight again.
(2013-02-18, 10:09)fritsch Wrote: Use the wsnipex-xvba-frodo branch.

xbmc-xvba: Tested releases by wsnipex and me (but there are still bugs, as you see)
xbmc-xvba-testing: bleeding edge master nightly build, not tested
xbmc-xvba-frodo: Frodo release <- choose this one
xbmc-xvba-eden: Old, outdated Eden branch

I am at the bug for stopping, will look tonight again.

Thank You.

Will try it and test stability.
Ok, Back to square one.

Formatted SSD, Install Ubuntu, Install xbmc-xvba-frodo.

Have not tested playback yet. Added my sources and imported my library.
Shut xbmc down last night and restarted it again this morning. 07:12:07

Added some more media, started a Library update. Completed successfully.

Another Library Update caused it to crash:

http://old.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=36706

The log file is 7MB in size so I snipped the middle part where the previous scan was successful. Unfortunately it is too big to upload in its entirety.

07:57:52 (line 905 in debug Log) started another Library Update:

07:56:52 T:3007694656 DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 2685293:000000037ff07bdd 00 KEY_OK mceusb (KEY_OK)
07:56:52 T:3007694656 DEBUG: OnKey: 11 (0b) pressed, action is Select
07:56:52 T:3007694656 DEBUG: ExecuteXBMCAction : Translating UpdateLibrary(video)
07:56:52 T:3007694656 DEBUG: ExecuteXBMCAction : To UpdateLibrary(video)
07:56:52 T:2788150080 NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false
07:56:52 T:2947959616 DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0xb0d00468
07:56:53 T:3007694656 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml) ------
07:56:53 T:2788150080 NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
07:56:53 T:2788150080 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScanStarted from xbmc
07:56:53 T:2788150080 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 16, from xbmc, message OnScanStarted
07:56:53 T:2947959616 DEBUG: NEWADDON PythonCallbackHandler construction with PyThreadState 0xb0d00468
07:56:54 T:2788150080 DEBUG: Previous line repeats 1 times.
07:56:54 T:2788150080 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Scanning dir '/media/media1/legacy_movies/' as not in the database

Crash at 07:57:15 - No info as to the reason for the crash except the below.

07:57:15 T:2788150080 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir '/media/media1/legacy_movies/Morning Glory (2010) dvd/' due to no change
07:57:15 T:2788150080 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir '/media/media1/legacy_movies/Morning Glory (2010) dvd/.actors/' due to no change (fasthash)

/media/media1/legacy_movies/ was added the previous night and was successfully scanned and added. It did not cause a crash then. What could be the reason for causing a crash now? There are no foreign characters in that directory or in the preceding or following directory after the above one.

After I restarted xbmc, a Library Update completed successfully.

This is very similar to the Alpha 13.0 crashes that I have frequently seen, when during or soon after a Library Update xbmc crashes and drops to the terminal.
As I am not always watching the screen, it is difficult to be more precise exactly where (beginning/middle/end) of Library Update it crashes.

Is there any other Logging I can do that will me be more informative as to what is causing my problem?

Any help appreciated!

Thank You

Edit: Updated Subject to latest most recent version Tested.
Start xbmc via gdb:
gdb /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
set logging on rausdamit.txt
run

when it hangs or crashes, do:
thread apply all bt

and upload the rausdamit.txt later.
(2013-02-19, 13:45)fritsch Wrote: Start xbmc via gdb:
run

when it hangs or crashes, do:
thread apply all bt

and upload the rausdamit.txt later.

Tried that but unfortunately got:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Can't open display
[New Thread 0xb3a84b40 (LWP 25098)]
[New Thread 0xb30ffb40 (LWP 25099)]
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0xb30ffb40 (LWP 25099)]
0x08d775d0 in XbmcCommons::ILogger::Log(int, char const*, ...) ()

Have tried export DISPLAY=:0 before starting gdb but it did not help.

Any suggestions?

The xbmc machine does not have a desktop etc. It is a standalone boot straight into xbmc kind of box.

Thanks
As a great exception and because of debugging only, do the following as root user:

Code:
sudo -s
X &
DISPLAY=:0 gdb /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
run

This will start an empty X Server in the background because of the &. This should make you able to debug.
(2013-02-20, 09:26)fritsch Wrote: As a great exception and because of debugging only, do the following as root user:

Code:
sudo -s
X &
DISPLAY=:0 gdb /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
run

This will start an empty X Server in the background because of the &. This should make you able to debug.

Thank You. My apologies for not posting earlier.
I managed to find a workaround which is similar to your suggestion and earlier instructions:

service xbmc stop
login as xbmc
xinit
set logging on xbmc1.txt
run

I am now comfortable that I can reliably reproduce the Update Library crash.
It always happens during a library update from the logs.

Time taken for it to crash varies.

With no new content on my NAS, I set the XBMC automatic Library update script to run every 5 mins.
A full scan takes about 3 mins to complete.

Unfortunately I have not tested the playback crash yet.

Here is the Logs for the Libray Update crash:

The xbmc log has been snipped as it is a 10MB file:

XBMC Log:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=1036

GDB Log:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=1037

Does that suffice?

Thanks
Nice catch! Up to trac.xbmc.org and open an issue.
And set opdenkamp into CC - he already said: that it is his code :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC-XVBA Crashing Randomly 13.0-ALPHA1 Git:1d92d140