Req File Name configuration for media scans
Hi all,

I've been using xbmc across our home for a while now syncing versions on each PC, linking to the media files on the NAS.
I really like the active development and great options XBMC delivers, however I do have an issue with the automated 'Naming' convention that is used on media scans.

Ok, so the scan does work okish for files named differently to the convention, however it would be nice to be able to specify exactly via the use of variables which naming conventions you have used for all your files.
As an example: if some of you are familiar with cdex, it allows you to set up your naming convention using placeholder variables for exported files.

eg:
PHP Code:
{artist}/{album_year}_{artist}_{album_name}/{tracknumber}_{artist}_{trackname}.mp3 

I for one am an absolute hater for 'spaces' in filenames and directories. As I work in multiple OS, having to type %20 for every space is more than just frustrating and completely impractical. My media files are arranged around a more UNIX way and in a way that they naturally sort bywhatever you decide to place first. In my case it's the Year.

So all my media files are named like the following examples:

Code:
[1979]_The_Life_Of_Brian_[UK].avi
[1981]_Shaolin_And_Wu_Tang_[HK].avi
[1981]_The_Evil_Dead.avi
[1985]_Demons_[IT].avi

So to make the scan function more customizable rather than having 40-50% of your files pulling the wrong info it would be nice to be able to set the parameters of the naming convention for your files.

So for my above example I could simply plonk in these variables:

Code:
[{YEAR}]_{TITLE:US}_[{COUNTRY:ISO}].ext

First the year in square brackets followed by an underscore then the US/International Title then another underscore and in square brackets the country of origin in ISO format.

or maybe simplify by using *

Code:
*_{TITLE:US}*

Though I do also Capitalise each word of the title and remove every space with an underscore. Maybe some checkboxes could do this check?

Of course I'm not sure anyone else would see this as beneficial, but I think it would be a nice touch and a real time saver!

Thanks for reading this far! Smile
Music can be named anything as long as the embedded music tags are correct. TV shows can have custom naming conventions using regex: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...file_names and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...atching.3E

Not sure if it works for movies.

Any name for movies can be used with NFO files (wiki).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Name configuration for media scans0