This add-on will close/minimize Kodi, launch Steam in Big Picture Mode and when Steam BPM is exited (either by quitting Steam or returning to the desktop) Kodi will restart/maximize. It works with Windows, Linux (SteamOS included), Android and OSX (With OSX Kodi will only restart after quiting steam completely). A nice bonus is Steam also comes with a full featured web browser that can be controlled with a game pad or remote and plays back flash content. XBMCbuntu users see the bottom of this post for a guide to setup Steam. Linux users need the program 'wmctrl' installed.
- Select whether to quit Kodi: Options are Yes, No and Ask.
- Set the paths for both Kodi and Steam.
- Run commands pre/post Steam. The addon will wait for the commands to finish before continuing, running the scripts in the background can be accomplished at the operating system level.
- Delete and update scripts on next run - delete the operating system specific scripts out of the profile://addon_data directory and copy them from the addon install directory the next time the addon is run. This is handy if you want to go back to the default scripts or if the bundled scripts have been updated. This setting is set to disabled (to default) when run once.
- Configurable timeout for "Busy Dialog" after running addon.
- Run Kodi in portable mode (as far as I can tell OSX/Android don't support portable mode and on OSX enabling this will cause Kodi not to restart).
- Toggle script update notification.
- Toggle file location checks.
- Toggle check for the program 'wmctrl' (Linux only): Checks for external dependency, wmctrl, which is not required in some scenarios, eg SteamOS with Kodi in its own session.
The scripts used by this addon can be customised to suit your needs, they reside in the kodi/userdata/addon_data/script.steam.launcher/scripts folder. They are copied into that directory from the addon install directory on first run and can be set to not be over written with updates. In either SteamLauncher-AHK.ahk or steam-launch.sh the line steam.launcher.script.revision=001 is what the addon reads to determine if the scripts are up to date, set it to 999 for custom scripts the you don't want overwritten.
If you have a problem with the addon, post your Kodi log file and the output of the command in the log file after the entry script.steam.launcher: attempting to launch: when run via a command prompt.
Steam, Linux and Lirc.
Speeding up Steam and installing on a SSD.
SteamOS + Ubuntu
Steam Launcher with XBMCbuntu 13.
Kodi and SteamOS
For automatic updates you can install my repo. Code can be found on GitHub.
Verison 3.0.0 which is only compatible with Kodi 14 - Helix can be downloaded here. It will be pushed to my repo once Helix is released.
** Frodo users - while v2.X.X works with XBMC12, the method the add-on uses to give on screen error notifications is not compatible. Apart from the pre/post Steam scripts not found notification, every other time there is a error notification the add-on exits anyway. **
If you like this addon you can help support my Steam addiction