Openelec and Bluetooth Pairing
Hi forum,

are the guys at Openelec serious that I'll have to do this and this :S in order for my Bluetooth keyboard to work?

Is there no way way to accomplish Bluetooth pairing by pointing to some things and nice looking icons with the remote, while sitting on the sofa? Eek

Thank you very much already for any help regarding bluetooth pairing in Openelec,

Regards David.P
This isn't actually a OE support forum, but what is the problem? The instructions aren't that hard to follow?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
In the OE forums no one would reply Confused

These instructions ARE incredible hard for me as a typical target group member of Openelec as an "Applicance-like" system.

I mean, am I really supposed to dive into all that Linux command line stuff? This can't be true!

I don't understand one single line or special vocab of the linked how-to's.

Then, I thougt I could use Ancalex's OpenELEC Add-ons and configure Bluetooth via a nice GUI.

But that repo wouldn't even install (I tried installing "openelec.repo.ancalex.i386-2.1.zip" for my Atom system Arctic MC001 but it was refused) Sad
You don't really need to understand it, the howto lists the commands. Type them in.

As for the addon, contact the addon author - many addons have active threads on this forum. Also more info - what do you mean "refused"?

What does cat /etc/release tell you on the openelec system?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
OK, the two addons by Ancalex are installed now. But it seems that these are not enough to get Bluetooth working.

Sadly, Alex doesn't seem to give any instructions as to what else is needed for the addons to work.

I'll have to contact him.
Or back to the commandline. Seriously you come here for help and then ignore what you are told.

Never mind, no helping some people.
OTOH...

Quote:Step 0.
Enable bluetooth input plugin
Before trying to connect bluetooth input devices (keyboards, mice, s.o.) enable the bluetooth input plugin. For this, read and follow the steps outlined in the mksquashfs Add-on how-to. When the how-to says “Now you can make your changes”, go to /storage/system.new/etc/bluetooth/ directory and edit the main.conf file (with nano), comment the fourth line in the file so it will look like this #DisablePlugins = input. Then go update your system (like the how-to says). This change must be made every time a new OpenELEC build gets released.

Honestly, I think this really p....uts me off.

Maybe I should simply go for XBMCBuntu instead?

(2013-02-28, 09:29)nickr Wrote: Or back to the commandline. Seriously you come here for help and then ignore what you are told.

No, I simply don't understand if the Bluez tools work WITHOUT all the command line stuff, or if it is still needed (but what are the Bluez tools good for, then)?

Honestly, this is all by no means clear nor doable for the Openelec target group

I am not an openelec user, although I tried it a couple of times. I would go for xbmcbuntu because I don't like lockdown you get with OE. I am also familiar with ubuntu, so it is familiar.

xbmcbuntu you can install any ubuntu package, so BT should be easy (famous last words).
Quote:I would go for xbmcbuntu

Well that is what I did yesterday. However, it was a complete PITA to install and enable Bluetooth on XBMCBuntu -- because the Wiki information about Bluetooth setup is useless since it is either plain wrong, or outdated Sad

Anyway, I'll send my Bluetooth keyboard back and go for a RF keyboard instead Undecided
There would be this in pipeline https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/369

No one knows when that will be added if at all or if it will support all blutooth devices (in principle), though when someone cannot follow instructions then I guess there is no helping those who cannot help themselves.

uNi
OK, I'll ask my still unanswered question a third time:

Would it be enough to install Ancalex' two Bluetooth addons in XBMC in order to get my Bluetooth keyboard working, or what else is needed?

Will I still have to compile No my own OpenELEC build, as the word "squash" possibly implies?
OK Guys, and what does that mean?
Can I somehow mix my Aeon-Nox-Openelec (Arctic Build) with Pulse-OS and their Bluetooth addon such that Bluetooth will work nicely?
Try it and see. But after all this searching and asking questions you could have typed those few commands by now.
I just had the same problem, my Raspberry Pi wouldn't find my BT adapter.
The solution was actually pretty simple. On the main screen, go to System > OpenElec > Connections, scroll down to Enable Bluetooth and activate it. From then on it's pretty straightforward, just roll back once and scroll down to Bluetooth.
Let your device be visible and it should work fine.
(2014-10-13, 15:37)FraserTh Wrote: I just had the same problem, my Raspberry Pi wouldn't find my BT adapter.
The solution was actually pretty simple. On the main screen, go to System > OpenElec > Connections, scroll down to Enable Bluetooth and activate it. From then on it's pretty straightforward, just roll back once and scroll down to Bluetooth.
Let your device be visible and it should work fine.

Whoa there Charlie Brown, not everyone uses Pi! So far three Haswell based and five android based boxes either say Bluetooth is disabled (Openelec Settings) We also tried three BT dongles in the different boxes, no Bluetooth. So it looks like you are telling us the the only Set Top Box that Openelec supports for Bluetooth iRasberry Pi. Not a good thing....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Openelec and Bluetooth Pairing1