sometimes i burn videos onto dvds and they won't play on the xbox dvd drive, but work fine on my pc computer drive. i am fan of ftp servers and because xbmc supports this i decided to try this method instead of xnp or xbmsp or samba. i finally had total success doing this, but after trying 5 different ftp servers.
the ftp network share on xbmc can be found under my files.
you will need two network cards.
one hub or router with dhcp turned off.
1. connect internet from cable modem into first ethernet card.
2. connect cable from 2nd ethernet card into router or hub into port 1, not wan port.
3. connect xbox into port 2.
4. now ftp into the xbox and change xboxmediacenter.xml file with
ftp://username:[email protected]:port/ change to ftp://xbox:[email protected]:21/
and then turn xbox off.
5. also, your xbox will need to have an ip address is 192.168.0.x and if not then ftp and change evox.ini to say 192.168.0.6. also, change gateway to 192.168.0.1.
6. now install the software bulletproof ftp server which you can get from any shareware site for 30 days trial.
7. create a user account, click on the single face icon. change login to
xbox and password to xbox.
8. right click under directories and add d:\ or letter of your dvd drive.
click ok. check to see server is online.
9. click control panel, click networking and run network wizard. then select my computer connects directly to the internet and to share my connection. it will automatically work and set one ethernet card connected to router to 192.168.0.1.
10. minimize to tray bulletproof ftp server tray, press f9.
11. put dvd with videos into dvd-rom drive.
start up xbox and run xbmc, click my files, click ftp network share. presto you should see the files on the dvd, click on one to watch it. it can be any size, even 700mb and will stream in a few seconds.
final thoughts, i tried several other ftp servers software, but would not stream and locked up xbmc. also, you can change passwords, but remember you
can just share one folder or drive and first one will only be visible. this is done on the pc software. ws_ftp server worked, but did not work with dvd-rom drive, which is what i needed. any trouble ask, thanks. andrew. :thumbsup:
HOW-TO stream with PC FTP-Server to XBMC
Joined: Oct 2005
2005-10-25 09:07 Post: #1
Joined: Sep 2003
2005-10-25 11:27 Post: #2
moved to the manaul/tips forum.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Joined: Oct 2006
2006-10-21 05:26 Post: #3
I ampaynz1's way but it didn't work!
The log message is
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > 200 Type set to I.
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > SIZE rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.mov?stream
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > 550 No such file or directory.
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > RETR rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.mov?stream
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > asked to download 'D:\Films\rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.mov?stream' --> Access denied (No Such File).
(000009) 2006-10-12 21:29:26 - anonymous (192.168.1.10) > 550 'rev_theatre_0x10383910_1024_dl.mov?stream' : No Such File.
It seems that the ftp server does not know the command that end with "?stream".
Does anybody know how to resolve this problem?
Joined: Mar 2004
2006-10-21 17:29 Post: #4
get an updated build. this error has been fixed. oh and before you ask, you won't be able to seek when you are streaming over ftp.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.