Win Method of Shut down for XBMC
I am running XBMC on Windows 8, and have it configured about as well as I can get it. However, lately I have noticed it seems to be very slow to shutdown. I found a similar thread that said this is likely due to add ons. So, I will be cleaning out unneeded and unused add ons, but have a different question about shutting down XBMC.

My remote has a button labeled "Close" which as best I can tell is basically doing the same as an ALT F4 and closing the application immediately. This is much faster for exiting XBMC, but I am concerned it could also cause a problem. When you select shutdown in XBMC, are there any processes that run that using the ALT F4 method would prevent causing a problem over time? Anyone know of a reason not to use the "close" button / ALT F4 method to close XBMC?

Thanks!
No input on this one? While I can certainly live through the 20+ second shutdown, the instant shutdown is preferred. I uninstalled the majority of addons that were not part of the default XBMC install and so far have seen no change in the delay.

Thanks again.
I can only tell you that I use the Close button on my remote since Eden and I haven't noticed any problems. (on W7)

On my test computer I use Alt-F4 to close XBMC and that seems to work ok also.
Well, as good as as a test computer can work when you try different things every day... Tongue
ALT+F4 will close the XBMC GUI immediately, but the process will continue to run. A full shutdown of xbmc recommended. You can change the 'Close' button to send some other keypress like 'S' which will show the shutdown menu.
Running Windows 8 here and having the same delay when using the built in shut down command.

Personally I'd avoid using the Alt+F4 method, in case XBMC decides to update a plugin just as you press it, or similar! That can really mess things up Smile
A real debug log would show what add-on or service is holding up the shut down. A simple XBMC window close should give quick visual results, but in the background the same actions are taking place... eg. your 20 second delay is still ongoing without the window.
I have a macro set up for closing XBMC, just sends the 'S' key and then 'Enter'. It works OK, wish there was a better way since sometimes the S isn't caught and then I select something accidentally
Intel NUC 11 NUC11PAHi3 // LibreELEC 11.0
^^. Change the shutdown part of keymap.xml file as follows:

Code:
<shutdownmenu>
     <keyboard>
       <backspace>PreviousMenu</backspace>
       <s>XBMC.Quit</s>  
     </keyboard>
</shutdownmenu>

This way 's' will close xbmc without showing the shutdown menu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Method of Shut down for XBMC0