HELP! Black screen when changing HDMI input to HTPC
Hi Guys,

I've just replaced my old HTPC with a new setup and I'm having some problems that I didn't experience before.

Here's my setup:
Samsung AVR
HDMI INPUT 1 = Virgin TiVo
HDMI INPUT 2 = HDMI Splitter = 1. XBOX 360 2. HTPC
HDMI OUTPUT = SAMSUNG 50"

When changing from TiVo to the HTPC the screen remains black and occasionally flashes distorted colour and some static sound comes from the speakers

Previously, I was outputting from my old HTPC via HDMI on a Nvidia 210 which had no problems at all and didn't require any changes to the display settings in order to output 1080p.
This has now been replaced with an A75m-ITX with A6-3500. The desktop resolution is set to 1920x1080 in Windows and I've selected 1080p 50Hz in the AMD Vision software.

I just don't understand why it's not picking the signal up... Weird thing is, if I change the resolution from 1920x1080 to something else then revert it back it displays fine.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Well it appears the issue is to do with my HDMI splitter, as plugging the HTPC directly into the AVR. I don't understand why it used to work with my old HTPC but not the new one though? The Xbox 360 works absolutly fine through the HDMI splitter as well.
You might want to select to the correct HDMI output, then turn on HDTV and then turn on HTPC. Then do as suggest in "post #6" to insure smooth playback using AMD iGPU....

If all the above still doesn't work, you might want to use HDMI splitter for XBOX and Tivo and then connect HTPC directly to HDMI 1 on Samsung AVR....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks bluray.

I've followed through the suggested steps.

Turning the HDTV whilst on the correct input, then turning the HDTV back on displays the HTPC. However, when switching to TiVo then back to HTPC the black screen problem occurs again. I've been doing some reading and it sounds like it could be a handshake issue. Not quiet sure how to fix it yet though.
(2013-03-24, 23:35)denz13 Wrote: Thanks bluray.

I've followed through the suggested steps.

Turning the HDTV whilst on the correct input, then turning the HDTV back on displays the HTPC. However, when switching to TiVo then back to HTPC the black screen problem occurs again. I've been doing some reading and it sounds like it could be a handshake issue. Not quiet sure how to fix it yet though.
If you like to switch HDMI input all the time, this "Gefen HDmi Detective Plus" is a good adapter to have....
Well connecting the Xbox and Tivo to the splitter, then the htpc to hdmi2 it all works fine. From what I've read this sounds like a common problem with splitters and is caused by hdmi handshake problems. Weird why it occurs with the new htpc but not the old one.
(2013-03-25, 14:55)denz13 Wrote: Well connecting the Xbox and Tivo to the splitter, then the htpc to hdmi2 it all works fine. From what I've read this sounds like a common problem with splitters and is caused by hdmi handshake problems. Weird why it occurs with the new htpc but not the old one.
I know some users with EDID problem uses HDMI switch instead of HDMI splitter. Here are some good HDMI smart switches- Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch and ViewHD 3 Port HDMI Switcher 3x1 Auto Switch.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HELP! Black screen when changing HDMI input to HTPC0