Just migrated from Windows MCE to XBMC
Hi all,

I have just migrated from Windows Media Center, which I have used since the Windows XP MCE days. I also adopted Windows Home Server when it first came out. I, like many others have invested in Hardware to accommodate these technologies, and now that Microsoft have effectively discontinued these products, I had to reconsider my options regarding my HTPC and Server software stack.

I have tried different installs of XBMC, al of various degrees of success, and at present I am using XBMCbuntu only because it was the only one that found all my hardware!

I did however fry my previous mobo thanks to the 1% chance of something going wrong when flashing the bios, also coupled to the fact that my old HTPC's power supply decided it had enough too.

So I had to purchase a new HTPC case due to the previous one having a none standard PSU, as well as a new mobo.

My current setup is:

Mobo: Asus P8H61-MX R2.0
CPU: Intel Core i2 2100
RAM 8GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon 1gb HD5450
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG (I needed the optical output for 5.1 sound, as I don't have a HDMI capable AV receiver or HDTV....yet)
HDD: 750GB
DVD RAM Drive
Remote Control - RC6 from Maplin

All this is housed in a SilverStone MILO ML03 case, as I had a couple of PSU's spare, and it made sense to buy something that was both cheap and modular in the sense of the PSU.

I jumped ship a while back where TV is concerned, as I wanted premium television with little hassle , so went down the Sky TV route.

Now that I have made the jump to XBMC I must say I cannot believe I haven't done this before, it handles Movies & TV much better than other software, and so long as I stick to the naming convensions, I shouldn't have a problem.

Now I have something that Windows couldn't allow me, (especially since I was able to use Mylogo2 for the Asus mobo too) and that is a Media Center Set-top box that is a DVD player with extras, so far I have just got my media library sorted out, but am looking at things like YouTube and an internet browser, I am also thinking that one of the Motorola remotes might be a good idea too!!

So thanks to the devs for making a happy guy very old (or should that be the other way around?! Tongue)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just migrated from Windows MCE to XBMC0