brand new to Xbmc. Gbox Midnight or Raspberry Pi for first box?
Hi,

I am brand new to XBMC. I was tempted to get a Gbox Midnight, and run direct in XBMC (not android) but I am not sure if this is powerful enough to run xbmc (mainly stream from internet - wired connection to 720p picture). Would I be better with a raspberry pi (is it as powerful as the midnight?). If I then grow out of the raspberry, I can reconfigure it to run as a NAS service with my usb drive (and no be redundant).

Has anyone used both the raspberry, and midnight? Any recommendations?
I would suggest looking in the Hardware forum and if you need to posting in there.

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112

Not tried the Gbox, but I have a RPi. Do not hesitate to ask me if you want to know something.
I don't really understand the draw of the Gbox Midnight. As far as I am aware, no actual Team XBMC member has one so the support level is going to be pretty low and at least on Amazon they seem to cost the same as a Pivos XIOS, which virtually every member of the team has. Maybe there's some marketing campaign that I'm unaware of? I'd honestly love to hear what Gbox is doing to interest so many people.
IIRC, Gbox is still having issues getting their XBMC builds to output higher than 720 output.
(2013-03-30, 19:00)natethomas Wrote: I don't really understand the draw of the Gbox Midnight. As far as I am aware, no actual Team XBMC member has one so the support level is going to be pretty low and at least on Amazon they seem to cost the same as a Pivos XIOS, which virtually every member of the team has. Maybe there's some marketing campaign that I'm unaware of? I'd honestly love to hear what Gbox is doing to interest so many people.

I have been think the same with the influx of threads created.
Get Pivos and install xbmc linux ( not android) ...

Ras is a good option too..

Just avoid everything that has not appropriate support :)
If you want now, and for the price around those 2 device, Pivos XIOS is the way to go. Just be sure to install linux version.

Or you can wait for Ouya.

But if you can afford more, HTPC would be lot better.
(2013-03-30, 19:00)natethomas Wrote: I don't really understand the draw of the Gbox Midnight. As far as I am aware, no actual Team XBMC member has one so the support level is going to be pretty low and at least on Amazon they seem to cost the same as a Pivos XIOS, which virtually every member of the team has. Maybe there's some marketing campaign that I'm unaware of? I'd honestly love to hear what Gbox is doing to interest so many people.

When Pivos was not widely available in a lot of the European countries, or driving the costs up to over ~150,- they appeared to have jumped in at the right time with someting that was available for half of the(european) price.

That was back then. Don't think that is valid anymore at this time, but they have a big user base at the moment. So word-by-word marketing is working for them

They were riding the back of Pivos, but at a certain time the saw the light and changed their policy to opensource supported. So although they are still just resellers, they announced to do support the community and opensource spirit and pushed out their complete firmware build environment. (which they received from their Chinese partner)

This allowed me to fine tune my running linux port at that point. (small network issues). Now slowly new developers stand up and a small group of enthosiastic people is getting involved. Hopefully to be able to create a lot of PR's later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
brand new to Xbmc. Gbox Midnight or Raspberry Pi for first box?0